Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 881 - Hotel planned for 2019 season
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby pproteinc » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:47 pm

bgtlover wrote:
The Geek Mojo wrote:
bgtlover wrote:
The Geek Mojo wrote:
pproteinc wrote:Vortex is not getting converted. Geez let it go.

And you know this how? Did the dipping dots guy give you some inside knowledge? Dude, Cedar Fair has been on a mission to rid themselves of stand up coasters. Common sense should tell you the last one is getting it too.

It may get converted eventually...but not for 2019. Something will be going in the area that White Water Falls, Sand Dune Lagoon & Thunder Road's station was, including the flyers that are on hiatus this year while construction takes place.

We'll see...

Cedar Fair let that empty space sit at Canada's Wonderland for awhile...I'm guessing they'll do the same thing here at Carowinds. Canada's Wonderland is getting the huge investment in 2019. Dorney looks to be doing the same thing Knotts did. Too many patterns here. The stand up conversion every 2 years is looking very promising. I can see your prediction happening in 2020 though. But CGA also may be getting that hyper too soon. Carowinds may have to wait for their next big coaster in 3 - 4 years.

" Project Alpha", which is shown in the permits filed (shown 3 pages ago), were filed in South Carolina (York County). Vortex, Hurler and the hotel are all in North Caroina. If it were a Vortex or Hurler conversion, the permit (s) would have been filed in NC (Mecklenburg County). The project will be in the area noted in my previous reply. There will be no Vortex conversion in 2019.

Thank that’s all I’m saying. It MAY eventually happen but definitely not in 2019. I wouldn’t be surprised if they throw up another meme saying “STILL STANDING”. I’m betting they’re going to see how ridership changes with the addition of the carousel being next to it this season. I don’t see much but you never know. I’m not a fan of vortex im more a GA Scorcher and Riddler’s Revenge. We all know the later versions of stand ups are far better than the first gen standups thanks to ever changing engineering and technology.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby The Geek Mojo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:09 am

bgtlover wrote:
The Geek Mojo wrote:
bgtlover wrote:
The Geek Mojo wrote:
pproteinc wrote:Vortex is not getting converted. Geez let it go.

And you know this how? Did the dipping dots guy give you some inside knowledge? Dude, Cedar Fair has been on a mission to rid themselves of stand up coasters. Common sense should tell you the last one is getting it too.

It may get converted eventually...but not for 2019. Something will be going in the area that White Water Falls, Sand Dune Lagoon & Thunder Road's station was, including the flyers that are on hiatus this year while construction takes place.

We'll see...

Cedar Fair let that empty space sit at Canada's Wonderland for awhile...I'm guessing they'll do the same thing here at Carowinds. Canada's Wonderland is getting the huge investment in 2019. Dorney looks to be doing the same thing Knotts did. Too many patterns here. The stand up conversion every 2 years is looking very promising. I can see your prediction happening in 2020 though. But CGA also may be getting that hyper too soon. Carowinds may have to wait for their next big coaster in 3 - 4 years.

" Project Alpha", which is shown in the permits filed (shown 3 pages ago), were filed in South Carolina (York County). Vortex, Hurler and the hotel are all in North Caroina. If it were a Vortex or Hurler conversion, the permit (s) would have been filed in NC (Mecklenburg County). The project will be in the area noted in my previous reply. There will be no Vortex conversion in 2019.

Bah...That's for the hotel. They could always file another permit later. I'm still keeping hope alive. Vortex in 2019!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:35 pm

Is anyone else like me and hope they just scrap Vortex rather than convert it? I know they did Vortex at CGA, but Carowinds is a much larger park, and how marketable would something like Floortex be? Plus the ride would be mediocre, at best. I don't know. I guess I just hate the ride so much I'm getting ahead of myself. :lol:
Credits: 170, give or take, depending on how one counts
Top 5: (1) Skyrush (2) Fury 325 (3) Intimidator 305 (4) El Toro (5) Maverick
Instagram @american_thrills

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Ape » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Vortex is the only Stand Up that I found enjoyable in the last ten years or so.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Afterburner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:50 pm

thrillseeker4552 wrote:Is anyone else like me and hope they just scrap Vortex rather than convert it? I know they did Vortex at CGA, but Carowinds is a much larger park, and how marketable would something like Floortex be? Plus the ride would be mediocre, at best. I don't know. I guess I just hate the ride so much I'm getting ahead of myself. :lol:

Afterburner wrote:My hope is that they eventually get rid of both Nighthawk and Vortex (scrap the former, ship the latter off to Michigan's Adventure as a floorless) and use that spot for a big steel looper, maybe a wing rider.

Postby Vonni » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:05 am

It is officially set in stone that I will be visiting Carowinds for the first time this Summer, and needless to say, I am very excited! I'm definitely looking forward to Fury and Intimidator! I'm also really excited about the other coasters. Borg Assimilator (or whatever its current name is), although Vekoma flyers are not highly regarded in the enthusiast community, I am looking forward to as I've never been on a flying coaster of any kind. I am looking forward to Vortex as well as I've never been on a stand up of any kind either. I had opportunities in the past but that was many years ago when I was just getting into coasters and had not gotten the nerve to try a stand up coaster.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Vonni wrote:It is officially set in stone that I will be visiting Carowinds for the first time this Summer, and needless to say, I am very excited! I'm definitely looking forward to Fury and Intimidator! I'm also really excited about the other coasters. Borg Assimilator (or whatever its current name is), although Vekoma flyers are not highly regarded in the enthusiast community, I am looking forward to as I've never been on a flying coaster of any kind. I am looking forward to Vortex as well as I've never been on a stand up of any kind either. I had opportunities in the past but that was many years ago when I was just getting into coasters and had not gotten the nerve to try a stand up coaster.

Have fun!

Like you've probably seen, people's experiences on Vortex are highly polarized (and I'm sure even those who don't totally hate the ride wouldn't necessarily call it "good"). The first part of Nighthawk is actually pretty fun and intense, but everything from the loop to the brakes is a shakey mess... at least it was for me.

But on the other hand, Fury, Intimidator, and Afterburn are all fantastic rides and make the park worth visiting on their own!
Credits: 170, give or take, depending on how one counts
Top 5: (1) Skyrush (2) Fury 325 (3) Intimidator 305 (4) El Toro (5) Maverick
Instagram @american_thrills

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby marth555 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:42 pm

I like Nighthawk but hate Vortex with a passion

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby coaster-mm » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:25 am

Hi guys,

I'm in the proces of planning our second trip to the US this year and this trip is gonna include a visit to Carowinds on Saturday the 15th of September.
Because our first trip this year(June) will include Cedar Point and Canada's wonderland we already purchased CF platinum passes(yep, people from Europe with CF platinum passes :lmao: ). We are only interested in the 3 main rides in Carowinds(F325, Intimidator and afterburn, don't care about the rest), and for the rest we just gonna walk around, enjoy the park,and compare the park to all the others parks we have seen in the past :) .

Because we are gonna visit on a Saturday in September when the park is closed on weekdays, I expect it is gonna be very crowded and that's why a have 2 questions:
Does carowinds have something like early entry for platinum passes on a saturday in September?
If we're gonna decide to go for FL-plus, do they offer a discount on those for Pass-holders?

If it is worth the time,we do have the possibility to go on sunday morning as well for a few hours, but we rather not do that, plenty of other things to do that week :br

Thanks!

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby KIJester » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:27 pm

^Sundays are mostly dead until church lets out here in the Bible belt. All three B&M's are usually walk-on's before noon and a 15 minute wait worst case scenario. You definitely won't need Fast Lane on Sunday.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!