TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I don't believe Carowinds' Hurler is getting RMC'd. It's in a way much more better shape than KD's. KD's Hurler needs to be converted Carowinds' Hurler does not. It's almost fully retracked. Now I can see an RMC or woody in general being built from the ground up especially with White Waterfalls being demolished as we speak along with the old putt-putt area and the sand dune lagoon possibly closing for good. That's a lot of real estate right there now of course they're other places a coaster can go. I personally think in 2018 it will be planet snoopy's turn for expansion. Think about the it. The water park has had two expansions, in 2014 and 2016. The dry side of the park also had two expansion, with a new front gate entrance and coaster in 2015 and in 2017 with the new county fair. So it's about time for the peanuts gang to get some love. If in fact the break dance is still with Carowinds then that's where it will go along with maybe 3 new kids rides as CGA's breakdance is also in planet snoopy.

Edited by pproteinc

I don't believe Carowinds' Hurler is not getting RMC'd. It's in way much more better shape than KD's. KD's need to be converted Carowinds' does not. Now I can see an RMC or woody in general being built from the ground up especially with White Waterfalls being demolished as we speak along with the old put put area sand dune lagoon possibly closing for good, that's a lot of real estate right there and of course they're other places one can go. I personally think in 2018 it will be planet snoopy' turn for expansion. Think about the water park has had two expansions 2014 and 2016. The dry side of the park also two expansion along with a new front gate entrance 2015 and 2017 with the new county fair. So it's about time for the peanuts to get some love and if in fact the break dance is still with Carowinds then that's where it will go along with maybe 3 new kids rides as CGA breakdance is also in planet snoopy.

I tried like 5 times to read this pile of grammatical carnage and I've officially given up. Can someone please translate this into English?

"KD's Hurler needs to be converted Carowinds' Hurler does not. It's almost fully retracked."

Yeah, and they spent a ton of dough propping up Thunder Road before it got bulldozed a couple years later. There's nothing special about Hurler (either of them) other than they are wood. Well, there's been one thing special about both of them in the past, which is that they were rough as hell. Also, Carowinds is becoming a visually beautiful park, and one of the ugliest things in it is Hurler, retracked or not.

I think in the next decade, Hurler is going to get the axe (I just WISH it was sooner than later) or be converted by RMC, more flat rides are coming, hopefully a launched coaster of some sort (I wouldn't be mad if we got Kanonen from Liseberg as a Vortex replacement rather than a conversion of that into a sit-down coaster (Screamscape reported a rumor that it was coming to a park in the US), or even a shuttle coaster similar to the Gravity Group's Switchback at ZDT in Texas. I also think the rarely-used Paladium is sitting on a big piece of valuable land -- that and Rip Roarin' Rapids could be removed and a great log flume could be put in -- and the entrance to the park could be completed (it's part of a circle, and from above it looks like the side next to the Paladium is meant to be finished later). I'm not saying Rip Roarin' Rapids SHOULD be removed, but it could be integrated into a new log flume. I AM saying that the Paladium could and should also be on the cut list.

Yea the difference is Thunder Road had other issues that warranted its demise. Appearently Hurler doesn't. They didn't just tear down Thunder Road just because. Hurler gets much love even when Thunder Road was in the picture. It's not going anywhere not getting converted. The only conversion Carowinds will possibly get is Vortex IMO.

"KD's Hurler needs to be converted Carowinds' Hurler does not. It's almost fully retracked."

Yeah, and they spent a ton of dough propping up Thunder Road before it got bulldozed a couple years later. There's nothing special about Hurler (either of them) other than they are wood. Well, there's been one thing special about both of them in the past, which is that they were rough as hell. Also, Carowinds is becoming a visually beautiful park, and one of the ugliest things in it is Hurler, retracked or not.

I think in the next decade, Hurler is going to get the axe (I just WISH it was sooner than later) or be converted by RMC, more flat rides are coming, hopefully a launched coaster of some sort (I wouldn't be mad if we got Kanonen from Liseberg as a Vortex replacement rather than a conversion of that into a sit-down coaster (Screamscape reported a rumor that it was coming to a park in the US), or even a shuttle coaster similar to the Gravity Group's Switchback at ZDT in Texas. I also think the rarely-used Paladium is sitting on a big piece of valuable land -- that and Rip Roarin' Rapids could be removed and a great log flume could be put in -- and the entrance to the park could be completed (it's part of a circle, and from above it looks like the side next to the Paladium is meant to be finished later). I'm not saying Rip Roarin' Rapids SHOULD be removed, but it could be integrated into a new log flume. I AM saying that the Paladium could and should also be on the cut list.

I feel like you're way too confident in some of these things. Some of them are more likely than others but I wouldn't be shocked if none of them come to fruition. Fans of every park in America are now convinced that Kanonen is headed their way thanks to one dumb Screamscape rumor so I'll ignore that. I'd love for them to get a Log Flume but it's been a long time since an American corporate park built one and if they do build one I don't see why they would replace the rapids.

As far as Hurler goes, I don't think it'll be removed. I'd love for them to just clone whatever they do to the KD ride and bring it to Carowinds, but the ride isn't taking up any valuable real estate and seems to be in perfectly fine shape. It's an okay coaster... I don't really think there's any guarantee that it'll be removed or renovated in the next 10 years. I don't really see any coasters in the park being on the chopping block at this point. I think Vortex might get a conversion but that's about it. The coasters they have now are all fairly decent and none seem to be sitting on valuable expansion land like Thunder Road was. Someone is on the way to b*tch about Nighthawk but a lot of people seem to really enjoy the ride even though it's not a favorite with enthusiasts.

As far as the Paladium goes, I could see them removing it but I don't think it's a guarantee by any means.

Haha. Looks like the majority of the shows were just renamed; however, The Roots Bluegrass, Carolina Beach Bash and The Rainmaker are new shows. I've heard that The Rainmaker is an old show that was at Carowinds in the early 90s. I guess it has something to do with water interaction with guests as most say it was great show for summer days.

Edited by pproteinc

Haha. Looks like the majority of the shows were just renamed; however, The Roots Bluegrass, Carolina Beach Bash and The Rainmaker are new shows. I've heard that The Rainmaker is an old show that was at Carowinds in the early 90s. I guess and have something to do with water interaction with guests as most say it was great show for summer days.

I think I've seen the Rainmaker show at Dollywood. Does anyone else think he may have been at Dollywood or am I imagining this.

Even though this is my home park cf park, and I go here a lot during May/June/August, I've never been in March/April, and wanted to know when it's the best time to go. I'm planning on either going on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday with a fast lane plus possibly. I really just want to know if I have to spend the extra $ to get Fast Lane in March/April.

I went last March on a weekend and it was pretty dead. We waited maybe 10 minutes at the most for anything if I remember correctly. The only catch to that time of year is they are still getting the kinks worked out so you may run into the unusual delay here or there, but it certainly won't ruin the day.

Even though this is my home park cf park, and I go here a lot during May/June/August, I've never been in March/April, and wanted to know when it's the best time to go. I'm planning on either going on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday with a fast lane plus possibly. I really just want to know if I have to spend the extra $ to get Fast Lane in March/April.

Unless it's a Saturday, probably not.

Unless it's a Saturday, probably not.

Meh... I first stopped down to scratch my Fury 325 itch nice and early on April 9th last year and pretty much everything was a walk-on. Granted, it was bloody damned cold and windy that weekend. I leave Pennsylvania and drive down to Charlotte to escape the clutches of the cold only to have it follow me. Go figure.

Anyway, I think Intimidator actually had the longest waits, which were around 10 minutes or so, though I can't really remember why. Now that I think of it, though, there were several occasions where the ride attendant assigning seats was too slow to fill the train - which is sort of understandable considering the unusual seating configuration - and only half the cars would be full, but then don't get me started on how much I think the assigned seating at Carowinds can go drown in a tub of its own vomit (a lot).