Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 298: "The Steel Curtain" coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: grsupercity, PennStater and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Re: Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Postby JJLehto » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Well, KW was nice. Deff had the small/local park feel but with a solid selection of rides. More than KK or HW, least it felt that way.
I was glad to have done the classic woodies, and they were ok, Thunderbolt was fun, but must be honest they were more historical than anything. Park was pretty crowded, so the waits were a bit long for some rides esp Jack Rabbit and Racer. Rides did seem to open inconsistently, like they deff weren't all open at 11, and a few flats were closed for the day (or at least until I left to be fair).

While good and glad I had the experience, if it wasn't for Steel Curtain I prob would not go back next year.
I did like the flat selection, I was surprised to see how large Black Widow was, seemed to be as big if not more than MaxAir and I love the S&S swing rides. Phantom was of course the crown jewel and it lived up to the hype. That air was insane. Given the restraint in a way it was quite vicious. The whole ride was quite good, I liked the weird drop, and the second drop/fan turn was really cool. I stand by my original gut: Deff a top 15 steel. Not sure where yet it may fall but its in there. What a ride.
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, I305, Maverick, Lightning Run, Superman (SFNE), Kumba
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast
2018 Parks: (new) Busch Gardens Tampa, Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, Cedar Point, Kennywood

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:36 pm

JJLehto wrote:Well, KW was nice. Deff had the small/local park feel but with a solid selection of rides. More than KK or HW, least it felt that way.

KW flats are a strong suit.

KK is has a solid base of flats (Breakdance, ARM Drop Tower, Endeavor)
HW flat selection is just plain lame
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:40 am

Here's my TR from our first ever trip Kennywood, if anyone is interested:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75409&p=1879719#p1879719

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby grsupercity » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:06 am

Were making our first trip to kennyowood in a couple days. Anyone know if Skyrocket is open yet or going to be open? I am going to read your trip report right now prozach as I always enjoy your reports!
As of right now top 25
Maverick...Lightning Run...Fury325...Phantoms Revenge...Shivering Timbers...Montu...:lighting Rod...Afterburn...Mako...Storm Chaser...Goliath SFGAM...Rivine flyer2...Manta...Raging Bull ...American Thunder...Intimidator...Kumba...Millennium Force...Raptor...Voyage...Mine Blower...Renegade...Cheetah Hunt...Mr Freeze
Is that 26?

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby PennStater » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:13 am

I wouldn't count on Sky Rocket opening until 2019.
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby grsupercity » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:02 am

So I am not one to always ask for advice for a plan of attack on a park. But I have been reading a lot negative reviews on late or staggered Openings. What is the best advice for a first timer at Kennywood? Should I do the indoor mouse first or does it open late?

Also me and my wife are not taking our 10 month old. Are there any family bathrooms to pump in?
As of right now top 25
Maverick...Lightning Run...Fury325...Phantoms Revenge...Shivering Timbers...Montu...:lighting Rod...Afterburn...Mako...Storm Chaser...Goliath SFGAM...Rivine flyer2...Manta...Raging Bull ...American Thunder...Intimidator...Kumba...Millennium Force...Raptor...Voyage...Mine Blower...Renegade...Cheetah Hunt...Mr Freeze
Is that 26?

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby PennStater » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Best advice for right now is probably to wait until 2019 :lmao: The park is soooo short staffed right now, that's why many attractions are opening late or not at all. It's so bad, the park set up this page to show the status of rides for each day. Phantom Fright Nights will be missing Sky Rocket due to not having that replacement part from overseas yet, and Thunderbolt will be closed for extended maintenance and track work like Racer was last year during PFN. Just be aware of these things before making the trip!
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby anonymouscactus » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:12 pm

Wow. That page on the website is pretty bad. At least they are upfront... I guess.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby coneyislandchris » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:45 am

Yeah... I was contemplating heading out that way at the end of September for Phantom Fright Nights and for the kiddo to hit the 52" height rides they have, but honestly, we might as well just wait at this point until next season when Steel Curtain opens. No point in going if the two "new" coasters for him are going to be closed. Guess we'll have to figure out something else to hit up on Friday night before heading out towards Kings Island on Saturday.
That coaster dad [316] and that coaster kiddo [175]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Banshee. Top Thrill Dragster. Valravn. Apollo's Chariot. Twisted Timbers.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Samuel » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:09 pm

Hmm...I wonder if Steel Curtain's seats & restraints end up being like those in the rendering for Maxx Force, racing theme aside. I would definitely be down for these over OTSRs:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!