Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 298: "The Steel Curtain" coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: jconsolmagno and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Re: Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Postby KPfan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Skittles wrote:Hi TPR,

This is a bit of an off-topic post because of all the 2019 hype, but in just over a week, I'll be kicking off my summer trip at Kennywood on Sunday the 15th. How should crowds be? Is there a good itinerary for how to get each credit, and are there any notable non-coaster rides that I should check out?

Thanks!
Sundays are usually a good day to go. The crowd shouldn't be too bad. Lines are generally less then 30min but may hit 45 for certain coasters.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:29 am

This is a bit of an off-topic post because of all the 2019 hype, but in just over a week, I'll be kicking off my summer trip at Kennywood on Sunday the 15th. How should crowds be?

We'll also be at Kennywood on the 15th. It's our first visit. We're going to go the safe route and get the VIP passes.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby KPfan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:36 am

Don't forget that Kennywood still allows food to be bought into the park. So if you want to load up a cooler you can get a spot in one of the pavilions or rent a kabana if you want.

I always recommend getting there at opening and work your way around the park. As mentioned above, Exterminator, Black Widow and Phantom's Revenge are a good starting point. Even if the park is busy you shouldn't have a problem getting on everything at least once.

I'll drink donkey urine before I'll drink a Pepsi.

Postby Skittles » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:15 am

Thank you to everyone for the help! Kennywood is one of the parks I was feeling less confident about, so it's good to get some help. Right now, weather is looking 87 and cloudy so I probably won't have to worry about rain, thankfully.

Cool to hear that prozoach626 - we might not cross paths if you're using VIP passes, however.
Coaster Count - A lot

Top 10 under construction

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby CoasterLover » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:34 am

Anyone know if Sky Rocket is still closed? I know they had some sort of issue that closed it for some time but I haven't heard any news with regards to it reopening.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby crw16 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:43 am

Still closed. Its Motor sis still in Germany. Need re-built

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Mike240SX » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:46 am

A quick trip to their website indicates that it's still closed.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby PennStater » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:07 am

^ Yes, and just to confirm that the web site is not lying, I was at the park yesterday and it is in fact still closed.
~ Lifetime Kennywood, Sandcastle, & Idlewild season pass holder! ~
Co-Owner of Kennywood Connection
Kennywood Rides team member since 2009 (August - December)

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby middle_keeny » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:38 pm

This is a bit of an off-topic post because of all the 2019 hype, but in just over a week, I'll be kicking off my summer trip at Kennywood on Sunday the 15th. How should crowds be? Is there a good itinerary for how to get each credit, and are there any notable non-coaster rides that I should check out?

Thanks!

Last weekend I was finally able to get my kids to Kennywood. Growing up in SW Pennsylvania, it has always been on my bucket list to visit with the family. The way I explained it to my kids is that its more than just rollercoaster like the Six Flags parks we visit, They have a great collection of flat rides to catch...
1. Turtle - the only operating one right now. Dont ride in the afternoon cause the metal seat will burn.
2. Bayurn Kurve - a great flat ride designed by Schwarzkoph. I think its the only operating one in the states. Its more intense than it looks.
3. Noah's Ark - fun walkthrough.
4. Kangaroo- my personal favorite. Fun airtime.

From what I've read, Skyrocket had a fire in the control room and is pretty much done for the Summer. That a bummer because thats the only cred I needed from that park.

Ok... on the topic of the new coaster. I found this concept video of a T-Rex that supposedly RMC debuted at IAPPA a few years back. (can't confirm that). But the video is very similar to what the layout drawing that was leaked looks like.

https://youtu.be/EP1-OFEN81I

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby CoasterInk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:01 pm

middle_keeny wrote:Last weekend I was finally able to get my kids to Kennywood. Growing up in SW Pennsylvania, it has always been on my bucket list to visit with the family. The way I explained it to my kids is that its more than just rollercoaster like the Six Flags parks we visit, They have a great collection of flat rides to catch...
1. Turtle - the only operating one right now. Dont ride in the afternoon cause the metal seat will burn.
2. Bayurn Kurve - a great flat ride designed by Schwarzkoph. I think its the only operating one in the states. Its more intense than it looks.
3. Noah's Ark - fun walkthrough.
4. Kangaroo- my personal favorite. Fun airtime.

From what I've read, Skyrocket had a fire in the control room and is pretty much done for the Summer. That a bummer because thats the only cred I needed from that park.

Ok... on the topic of the new coaster. I found this concept video of a T-Rex that supposedly RMC debuted at IAPPA a few years back. (can't confirm that). But the video is very similar to what the layout drawing that was leaked looks like.

https://youtu.be/EP1-OFEN81I

Glad you guys had a great time! Always great to hear positive reviews not just of the roller coasters.

Also, you are totally right about the video looking similar to the leaked layout! The first time I looked at the layout, I scratched my head and gave up trying to figure out what was going on. This video could potentially explain what is going on in the layout.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!