TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Kennywood Park, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Kennywood's Official Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

April 20th, 2005 - Kennywood upgrades their entrance plaza

July 6th, 2005 - Kennywood acquires 23 additional acres

December 20th, 2006 - Two Zamperla rides coming in 2007: Disk-O and Rockin Tug

January 13th. 2007 - Update on Kennywood's new Disc'O

December 11th, 2007 - sale of Kennywood to Parques Reunidos announced

October 19th, 2008 - Parts of Phantom's Revenge track to be replaced

December 9th, 2008 - Kennywood is bringing back Bayern Kurve

Aug. 12th, 2009 - Kennywood announces new coaster for 2010 season

Dec. 9th, 2009 - Kennywood announces name of new coaster: Sky Rocket

Jan. 18th, 2010 - Kennywood to introduce Season Pass in 2010 for $89.99

Feb. 9th, 2010 - Tons of Sky Rocket Track arrives

April 30th, 2010 - Sky Rocket opening pushed back to June

July 28th, 2010 - Sky Rocket guidelines adjusted for taller riders

June 30th, 2011 - Pit Fall up for sale, park looking into replacement

July 6th, 2011 - Kennywood announces "Holiday Lights" Winter event

December 10th, 2011 - Crews begin to dismantle Pitt Fall

December 15th, 2011 - 'Black Widow' Zamperla Giant Discovery announced!

April 12th, 2012 - Kennywood closer to selling beer

September 17th, 2012 - Park officially begins selling beer

January 8th, 2013 - Park founder & ex-CEO Carl Hughes passes away

September 30th, 2016 - plans for 2019 coaster revealed at city council meeting

February 6th, 2018 - ThomasTown area to be added for the 2018 season

July 19th, 2018 - "The Steel Curtain" coaster announced!

December 15th, 2018 - Steel Curtain coaster construction photos!

January 30th, 2019 - New Steel Curtain coaster construction photos!

February 12th, 2019 - Newest Steel Curtain construction photos posted!

March 6th, 2019 - Latest Steel Curtain construction photos posted!

March 13th, 2019 - Newest Steel Curtain construction photos posted!

November 3rd, 2020 - Kangaroo, Paratrooper, Bayern Kurve and Volcano being retired

November 19th, 2021 - Kangaroo returning for the 2022 season!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully, this hasn't been reported on here yet...

The new entrance is actually quite impressive, I like it.

http://kennywood.com/park_info/status.php

They also added a new multi-park single-day pass for KW/SC.

DenDen "can't sleep!"

• 2 months later...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_350453.html

Kennywood may double its attractions

By Michael Yeomans, TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Wednesday, July 6, 2005

Kennywood Entertainment Co. officials will unveil major expansion plans today that could double the attractions at historic Kennywood Park, with the acquisition of 23 brownfield acres in neighboring Duquesne.

The purchase is the third piece of its growth plan. Over the last decade, the company has stitched together a patchwork of residential parcels in West Mifflin, and last month acquired a shopping plaza anchored by a Kmart that closed two years ago adjacent to Kennywood parking lots. Taken together, the additions will nearly double the size of the century-old park.

The park property is bisected by Route 837 -- Kennywood Boulevard -- with the 40-acre park on the Monongahela River side of the road and another roughly 40 acres of parking lots on the opposite side, connected by a tunnel under the road.

Kennywood spokeswoman Mary Lou Rosemeyer said the company has long wanted to expand but was concerned about access to the park. She said that problem will be eased by the completion of a section of the $2.5 billion Mon-Fayette Expressway linking Interstate 376 in Monroeville to Route 51 in Jefferson Hills and including a junction with Route 837. The highway is about half complete but is missing critical links in the Monongahela Valley to serve struggling former mill towns such as Duquesne, Braddock and Turtle Creek.

The company hired the Downtown consulting firm of Tripp Umbach to do an economic impact study of its three Western Pennsylvania theme parks, which also include the Sandcastle water park in West Homestead and Idlewild Park in Ligonier, Westmoreland County.

Without giving details, Rosemeyer said the study will show that Kennywood Entertainment's three properties have the largest economic impact of any entertainment provider in the region.

"We can be a real destination, if we can get the people in here," she said.

Rosemeyer would not disclose the seller of the 23 acres in Duquesne, or whether the parcel is on the river, or on the east side or west side of Kennywood Boulevard.

She said the company would not wait for the highway's completion before beginning the park expansion, which she said would include additional attractions and parking. She declined to provide details.

Kennywood President Pete McAneny is to be joined by Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato and Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission representative Tom Fox today in unveiling the economic study and expansion plan.

Brooks Robinson Jr., marketing director of the Regional Industrial Development Corp. of Western Pennsylvania, said it has not sold land to Kennywood. RIDC operates the Riverplace City Center of Duquesne industrial park, which is separated from Kennywood by a wide gully.

The Union Railroad also owns a flat parcel of land along the river across the same gully.

Turnpike Commission spokesman Joe Agnello said the design and right of way acquisition for the 24-mile leg of the expressway will take another four years. Depending on whether funding is available, construction could begin by 2010. "Kennywood adds another powerful voice for the project to move forward," he said.

Looks like great news! A modern wooden coaster would be great for the park, but I'm just happy they migh tbe getting something new.

Edited by larrygator

This is strange, and yet expected. Kennywood already owns the railroad graveyard just behind the racer, (Mary Lou slipped that one on a PCNC interview in 1999 i believe) and owned many of the houses on the oposing end of the park. For me, the question is, "which way are they going?"

The shopping center aquisition would just expand the parking, obviously.

I'm anxious to hear about this.

(EDIT: Apparently, she lied.) Now that Merlin is in charge, they now own it.

Edited by DenDen

Well, the announcement wasn't too "thrilling".... basically, the expansion wouldn't even start until 2010, and is contingent on the Mon-Valley express way being completed. All this hub-bub is based on an independent economic impact study, finding Kennywood to the the #1 Entertainment venue in Western PA, and the only one in SW-PA to never ask for corporate welfare. (and that goes for for-profit AND non-profit venues!)

The park has no idea what they'll do, so they just threw out these possibilities of what might happen in 2010...

New bigger coasters...

A hotel...

k-mart will become either additional parking, or maintainance...

and other standard fair, like rides, games and food.

So, all in all, i thought this news conference was disappointing. From the press conference alerts all over the place, they gave the impression that there were definite plans for expansion. (sigh)

EDIT:Forgot spellcheck

While I am very excited about Kennywood's "Blue Sky" plans, the timing is very interesting.

They are currently in the planning stages for the Mon-Fayette Expressway section that will run by Kennywood and most of this PR is aimed at getting a strategically placed exit near Kennywood.

In the end they will get the exit (and they deserve it), but don't look for that 200ft Floorless/Inverting/Stand-up/Hyper anytime in the next couple of years.

// Sorry to be a party pooper

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14818083&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478663&rfi=6

The highlight of this story.....

He (refering to KW president McAneny) said the park already has plans to add a $2.5 million roller coaster next year.

Um, so this is in addition to screaming swing? What kind of coaster can you get for 2.5 million? a kiddy coaster?

While I am very excited about Kennywood's "Blue Sky" plans, the timing is very interesting.

They are currently in the planning stages for the Mon-Fayette Expressway section that will run by Kennywood and most of this PR is aimed at getting a strategically placed exit near Kennywood.

In the end they will get the exit (and they deserve it), but don't look for that 200ft Floorless/Inverting/Stand-up/Hyper anytime in the next couple of years.

// Sorry to be a party pooper

Ted it's really funny you say that. I went the back way from my house which was through Dusquense and the Mon-Fayette expressway headquarters is right next door to the park. Well isn't that a surprise.

By the way, I was at KW for about 5 hours yesterday and crowds were moderate for "special price days" longeset wait 45 minutes for Exterminator. It was worth it. I got a huge spinny ride. I don't feel like writing a TR. Unless you all want me too. I doubt it though.

Katie

^ We're not quoting you.

I found the definition...

Brownfields are generally defined as abandoned or underused industrial or commercial properties where redevelopment is complicated by actual or perceived environmental contamination. Brownfields vary in size, location, age and past use. They can range from a small, abandoned corner gas station to a large, multi-acre former manufacturing plant that has been closed for years. Generally, brownfield properties have lower levels of contamination that can be successfully addressed using standard environmental cleanup practices, but are stigmatized based on their past use.

• 4 months later...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05321/608034.stm

Kennywood lays off 12 in response to rising costs

Thursday, November 17, 2005

By Jan Ackerman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

In an unprecedented move, Kennywood Entertainment has laid off 12 full-time employees at two of its four amusement parks -- Kennywood in West Mifflin and Idlewild Park at Ligonier.

The eight layoffs at Kennywood and four at Idlewild cut across the board and included managers, some whom have worked in the parks for many years. The employees were told individually on Nov. 9.

"These are good people who have been here for many years. It has been very difficult," said Mary Lou Rosemeyer, park spokeswoman.

She said the layoffs are a result of restructuring and increased expenses for gasoline, property insurance, health insurance and taxes.

"Our property insurance is going up 25 percent due to the hurricanes," Ms. Rosemeyer said.

She said the amusement and travel industries are facing both increased competition and costs, especially since the hike in gasoline prices.

"Our revenues were good as a company, but our expenses increased," she said.

Kennywood also owns Sandcastle, a water park in West Homestead, and Lake Compounce in Bristol, Conn.

Park officials continue to push for the completion of the Mon-Fayette Expressway in Allegheny County, which they say is an important link needed to attract more out-of-state people to their parks.

Ms. Rosemeyer said about 200 employees work in Kennywood's amusement parks.

Um, what problems did the hurricanes cause out in Pittsburgh? I know things were bad last year, and I think I remember 1 storm being bad this year as far as flooding (right at PPP time) but its hardly the same type of hurricane devastation in Florida, New Orleans, etc. Poor Kennywood Inc.

The Insurance companies probably had their reserves hit pretty hard due to the amount of loss associated with the 'canes, and need to up their rates to keep a stable financial rating. Not very exciting stuff, however being in insurance I thought I'd chime in. It's all about the numbers.

I feel for those who are losing their jobs. Man, it sucks to be out of work. Especially if you love your job, as it sounds those involved did.

Scott "hates being out of work" Moore

The Pittsburgh area had tons of flooding last year when the remains of Hurricane Ivan dump tons of rain on the area there was flooding everywhere. The Mon-Fayette Expressway would be a huge plus to the whole area but like always the politicans of Allegheny County/Pittsburgh/State of PA stand in the way of something needed because they want to line there own pockets.