Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 298: "The Steel Curtain" coaster announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:50 pm

^ Ghostwood Estates is a pretty good shooting dark ride that shouldn't be missed either. It reuses some physical set pieces from a former attraction, so it looks a whole lot better than the cardboard cutouts you find on something like Boo Blasters.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby TunaSled » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Bummed about Sky Rocket, our first visit is in two weeks. I feel like I will have a great park experience, coaster credit notwithstanding.

Postby prozach626 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:30 am

TunaSled wrote:Bummed about Sky Rocket, our first visit is in two weeks. I feel like I will have a great park experience, coaster credit notwithstanding.

I'd prefer it to be open, but I don't think we're missing much. There are plenty of similar launched coasters out there. I'm more focused on Pantom's Revenge, the classic wooden coasters, and Exterminator. Those rides seem to be a bit more unique. I know Exterminator seems somewhat typical, but apparently the themeing is great.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby PhantomNick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:58 am

^ First off, I hope you and your wife have a wonderful visit to Kennywood!! As a "Kennywood local" who's been going there my entire life, I always enjoy seeing someone's first impressions of our cool mid-sized park. I will always rank Kennywood pretty highly, but I totally realize that's probably a bit biased. ;) I will say though that, in my opinion, Phantom's Revenge is absolutely legit!! If anything, I feel it is often forgotten in the discussion of top steel coasters. I will be curious to hear your take on it, as the second half is overflowing with loads of ejector airtime, which may or may not be your cup o' joe. That 2nd big drop through the Thunderbolt though?? Sensational!

The classic woodies are all pretty great in their own right, and it is amazing how well the park maintains them. I'm always impressed that you are in some cases riding an 80-90 year old coaster that is smoother than some that are only 5-10 years old. Exterminator is quirky fun for a spinning coaster, and you won't have the typical line concerns since you did it up right with the VIP Unlimited passes! =) I will add that (although it's closed) Sky Rocket is actually a pretty impressive offering for a smaller launched coaster, in particular the first half. But with that being down for repairs and the new coaster coming in 2019, you'll just have a reason to return!

Patch fries are certainly worth a try, and your mileage may vary on how much you enjoy them. I happen to love them, but I admit occasionally some batches aren't "as good" as others. It makes me chuckle when I see some people say things like "you don't know good fries if you like them" or whatever. :lol: To me that's the equivalent of saying someone "doesn't know good coasters" because they enjoy ride X. Different strokes and whatnot. I did actually notice today that they've introduced (via their Facebook page) 5 new flavor offerings for them at one of their stands. I go Bacon & Cheddar myself when I splurge on some.

Besides the coasters, there are some definite unique flats to check out while you're there (depending on what you like in flats of course). With having the passes, you should be able to enjoy a leisurely pace and check out some of the more unique offerings: Noah's Ark (only walkthrough of its type in the US), Kangaroo (a must, as it's the only one left in existence), Turtle (one of only 2 in the world I believe), Ghostwood Estate, Bayern Kurve, and Black Widow (outstanding ride that typically takes forever to load, but I believe it's also on your passes) to name several.

Looking forward to hearing about the visit, as your trip reports are favorites of mine to check out! Your tastes in rides.....and sarcastic humor.....are incredibly entertaining!! :)

Speaking of that new Project 412 coaster that's starting to materialize (I'm pretty pumped about this one, not gonna lie!), it looks like the fun is ramping up, as construction is kicking into gear on the old Log Jammer site!! Footers have popped up there now, with lots of rebar stacked by Racer for more to come! =) :b (Photos courtesy of Kennywood Connection)

KW_Project412_Footers071318.jpg
More coaster footers popping up!

KW_Project412_Drill071318.jpg
Ready to ramp up construction it appears!
I would rather be off riding coasters!

Steel Top 5 - (1) Steel Vengeance (2) Skyrush (3) Fury 325 (4) Millennium Force (5-tie) Phantom's Revenge (5-tie) Maverick
Wood Top 5 - (1) El Toro (2) Phoenix (3) Voyage (4) Ravine Flyer II (5) Shivering Timbers

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby JJLehto » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:55 am

Think Skyrocket may be open by late August. Yeah, not that I super care, but ya know 1st time to KW and what not would be nice to ride it.

The bringing in food thing is awesome! Are there any sheetz nearby? I haven't been in PA since the college years (feels long ago now) I would love some nostalgia of eating sheetz, too much, and regretting my life choices
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, I305, Maverick, Lightning Run, Superman (SFNE), Kumba
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast
2018 Parks: (new) Busch Gardens Tampa, Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, Cedar Point, Kennywood

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:11 am

re: Sheetz - Looks like there are a few within 5 miles of the park.
https://orderz.sheetz.com/#/main/location/search

#teamwawa

Postby JJLehto » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:50 am

boldikus wrote:re: Sheetz - Looks like there are a few within 5 miles of the park.
https://orderz.sheetz.com/#/main/location/search

#teamwawa

Its funny, being from NJ (and there being many fellow Jerseyians at Penn State) there was the heated Wawa-Sheetz debate and I broke sheetz, even though none exist in NJ and wawa was like THE convenience store of our childhood.
What can I say? Call me a traitor I guess.
Also thanks!
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, I305, Maverick, Lightning Run, Superman (SFNE), Kumba
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast
2018 Parks: (new) Busch Gardens Tampa, Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, Cedar Point, Kennywood

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:35 pm

The only time I've seen people more passionate about a gas station/convenience store is Buc-ee's down in Texas. People but shirts for that place and proudly wear them! At least people don't do that with Wawa or Sheetz.

Team Wawa for the record
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Postby Genx24 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:14 pm

Wawa and Sheetz are both great, but Sheetz is superior.

They're all over Western PA, so I'm sure there's several near Kennywood.
Total Coasters: 140

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:The only time I've seen people more passionate about a gas station/convenience store is Buc-ee's down in Texas. People but shirts for that place and proudly wear them! At least people don't do that with Wawa or Sheetz.

Yeah, it was so strange. I was driving on Interstate 10 from California to Florida and I started seeing billboards for Buc-ee's like it was some huge major attraction. Let me tell you what, those are the largest gas stations I have ever seen in my life. The one to the west of Houston on Interstate 10 has over 1,100 feet of gas pumps. I don't recall, I had to have seen at least one hundred pumps as I drove by.

Sheetz definitely has central and western Pennsylvania to itself. The northernmost Wawas in Pennsylvania are up in the Pocono region, and the westernmost are near Lancaster. Sheetz is pretty much everywhere else in the state.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!