TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

From multiple sources, it's being reported that the park will begin work on a 2019 project start in late spring. I'm guessing they will bring back the Turnpike in place of the old Log Jammer ride.

Are the rumors of a large coaster in the valley out of the question now?

• 4 weeks later...

At ACE's annual CoasterBash event in March Kennywood said that it would be pretty hard to hide what they were doing in that area of Log Jammer. I'd find it hard to believe that turnpike coming back would be a big construction project as well. Should be interesting to see. Anyone know a timeline of when Thomas Town is supposed to open, seems they have a long way to go and just a few weeks left before park opening.

So sorry for another question by me about whether rides are accomodating or not....BUT since I have a friend that lives in Pittsburgh and I'd like to capitalize on Kennywoods presence there and I have never been before heres another post asking about accomidating rides by me! I've done a little bit of research and it sounds like I will probably be good for all the coasters and if Sky Rockets lap bars are in the same level of strictness as Tempesto I should be good for that as I got on Tempesto no problem (as in the lap bar said yes, physically getting onto Tempesto was terrible). I am 6'3 313 pounds (hopefully I'll get under 300 by the time I go up there but that's no guarantee my body has been resistant to weight loss the last few months), waitline is around 47", chest 50" What I am now concerned about is the flats particularly Black Widow, Swing Shot, and Aero 360. I would LOVE to ride a Zamperla Giant Discovery but I can't seem to find much on whether they are accomodating for larger riders anywhere.

So sorry for another question by me about whether rides are accomodating or not....BUT since I have a friend that lives in Pittsburgh and I'd like to capitalize on Kennywoods presence there and I have never been before heres another post asking about accomidating rides by me! I've done a little bit of research and it sounds like I will probably be good for all the coasters and if Sky Rockets lap bars are in the same level of strictness as Tempesto I should be good for that as I got on Tempesto no problem (as in the lap bar said yes, physically getting onto Tempesto was terrible). I am 6'3 313 pounds (hopefully I'll get under 300 by the time I go up there but that's no guarantee my body has been resistant to weight loss the last few months), waitline is around 47", chest 50" What I am now concerned about is the flats particularly Black Widow, Swing Shot, and Aero 360. I would LOVE to ride a Zamperla Giant Discovery but I can't seem to find much on whether they are accomodating for larger riders anywhere.

It depends on how you carry the weight. Like you said, Skyrocket restraint is similar to Tempesto but there are a couple of seats better for folks with longer legs. I believe they have a sign in the station with the information.

As far as the other rides, SwingShot is purely lap restraint which may be an issue if they can't get enough clicks to light up the sensor.

Aero and Widow are shoulder restraints and fairly forgiving. I rode aero back when I was 300+ with no issues except for having all the weight on my shoulders when upside-down. Widow is finicky but should be close depending on your build.

^wow that sounds like my odds are good then especially if I can drop this extra 15 to get out of 300 by the time I go. Kennywood seems to be one of the friendliest parks to larger riders out there.

^wow that sounds like my odds are good then especially if I can drop this extra 15 to get out of 300 by the time I go. Kennywood seems to be one of the friendliest parks to larger riders out there.
Yes, it's fairly forgiving. Even when I hit my peak weight of 345 I still was able to get on quite a few rides. But obviously that doesn't necessarily mean I was very comfortable.

You should be fine on Jack Rabbit. Racer does have a little seat divider with seat belt. Was a tight fit when I had 46-48in waist but I still fit.

Thunderbolt has no seat divider but doesn't allow single riders. So plan accordingly.

^You and me both, brother. It's my most anticipated new coaster of the year, despite my other new coasters being Skyrush, Phoenix, and Steel Vengeance. For some reason, Thunderbolt is right behind Phantom. All together Kennywood is my most anticipated first time visit.

Glad to see some enthusiasm for the park. Living 20 minutes away is great but loses some excitement after average 15 trips to the park each year.

My advice is to visit the park with the expectation of a traditional, smaller park. It's not cedar point or Hershey. But it has its own uniqueness and charm that people often overlook.

Oh, and stay past dark if possible. The park looks even better lit up at night. And phantom is even better.

I remember as a kid always seeing the travel channel talk about Kennywood so it's definitely been a bucketlist park for me for a long time. I love the vintage classic atmosphere it seems to have. I also didn't realize how much some enthusiasts sing the praises of Phantom's Revenge like they do. Also there's an S&S Screaming Swing (my favorite flat currently) and a Zamperla Giant Discovery which I am very eager to try.

Glad to see some enthusiasm for the park. Living 20 minutes away is great but loses some excitement after average 15 trips to the park each year.

My advice is to visit the park with the expectation of a traditional, smaller park. It's not cedar point or Hershey. But it has its own uniqueness and charm that people often overlook.

Oh, and stay past dark if possible. The park looks even better lit up at night. And phantom is even better.

Agreed. I'd advise first-timers to not get their hopes up unreasonably high for Kennywood. It's a great park with many quirks and an amazing traditional feel, but definitely not on the same level as Cedar Point or Hershey. I've been trying to limit my KW visits in the past few years to build up that excitement again.

I mean I'm excited for Kennywood because it's Kennywood. I usually set my expectations of a park to be that park not somewhere else. I'm looking forward to the classic flat rides, old time feel, older wooden coasters, and not walking 4 miles from coaster to coaster.

I mean I'm excited for Kennywood because it's Kennywood. I usually set my expectations of a park to be that park not somewhere else. I'm looking forward to the classic flat rides, old time feel, older wooden coasters, and not walking 4 miles from coaster to coaster.
That's one thing I really appreciate at KW. Most of the time you can get around the park and ride everything in 6-8 hours and maybe even get a few rerides. Yes, there are those days when it's rediculously busy though. Best to ask here on the forums or over at kpconnection for input from the locals.

Seems like proper expectations to me. I'm going for the first time also in a few weeks, and this is pretty much what I'm expecting from it as well.

Phantom's Revenge at night time is a top 5 ride. It is utterly insane in the dark.

Seems like proper expectations to me. I'm going for the first time also in a few weeks, and this is pretty much what I'm expecting from it as well.

You will love it then.

It's basically like a mix of Knoebels, Waldameer and a sprig of Hershey all rolled into one.

^I saw that. It looks like a blast. Kennywood and Knoebels, as part of our PA trip, will really give me my first experience of quirky, classic, and rides. I look forward to rides like Kangaroo, The Whip, Knoebels Boats, and more.

^I saw that. It looks like a blast. Kennywood and Knoebels, as part of our PA trip, will really give me my first experience of quirky, classic, and rides. I look forward to rides like Kangaroo, The Whip, Knoebels Boats, and more.
When are you planning to visit the park? If it's possible, maybe squeeze in a few hours at Lakemont Park in between Kennywood and Knoebels. (sort of between them) Lakemont has a couple of gems, even if it doesn't have a lot to offer. Leap the Dips definitely checks the quirky, classic categories. [emoji846]

At ACE's annual CoasterBash event in March Kennywood said that it would be pretty hard to hide what they were doing in that area of Log Jammer. I'd find it hard to believe that turnpike coming back would be a big construction project as well. Should be interesting to see. Anyone know a timeline of when Thomas Town is supposed to open, seems they have a long way to go and just a few weeks left before park opening.

Are they really adding the turnpike back.

Are they really adding the turnpike back.

Unconfirmed at this point but we should know by mid summer based on how that are starts to develop.