TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

I'm on a trip with my dad and my brother to Kings Island, and we stopped at Kennywood on the first day. We got there around 2, and stayed until just after 9. We had an ACE discount, so it was pretty cheap. The three major rides I haven't done on my visit 2 seasons ago were Bayern Kurve (closed), log flume (I was stupid and didn't care about flumes at the time), and the updated Noah's Ark (was still the old version during my first visit). Luckily, I got on all of those. I didn't get on Black Widow unfortunately. I love that ride, but the line was ridiculous. A lot of people experience slow ops here, and when I went two years ago they were just okay, but the operations were really good this time around. I got Potato Patch fries as well. The park also looked great like always and has a great old feel to it. Still one of my favorite parks! Rides:

Sky Rocket - Back row. The drop after the brake run in the back is enough of a reason to ride it.

Volcano - I've been on this exact enterprise when it was at Lake Compounce before it got sent to Kennywood actually. It felt a little faster than the other Huss versions for some reason.

Noah's Ark - Similar feel to the old one, but better.

Thunderbolt x 5 - Back row once, front row once, 2nd row the other three times. Still awesome! On one of our rides, Phantom went right under us! The best laterals, amazing setting, awesome trains, just a great ride.

Phantom's Revenge x 3 - Second row, middle, second-to-last row. Incredible speed, airtime, and location. Still the best steel coaster I've been on.

Whip x 2

Exterminator

Bayern Kurve x 3 - Finally getting on this was worth the stop alone. This thing goes so fast! The lateral force at the top of the curve is insane, and I love the seats on it.

Kangaroo x 2 - Still awesome, love the airtime.

Jack Rabbit x 2 - Back row. Forgot how ridiculous the double dip is.

Racer - Back row.

Log Jammer - Nice flume that goes quickly through the trough. The uphill section was nice.

Turtle

Nice TR. Haven't been to Kennywood in a few years but your mention and description of Bayern Kurve is enough to get me back there (oh and that great steel monster Phantom's Revenge, too). You didn't ride Swing Shot? I think it's far better than Skyhawk at CP.

I'm on a trip with my dad and my brother to Kings Island, and we stopped at Kennywood on the first day. We got there around 2, and stayed until just after 9. We had an ACE discount, so it was pretty cheap. The three major rides I haven't done on my visit 2 seasons ago were Bayern Kurve (closed), log flume (I was stupid and didn't care about flumes at the time), and the updated Noah's Ark (was still the old version during my first visit). Luckily, I got on all of those. I didn't get on Black Widow unfortunately. I love that ride, but the line was ridiculous. A lot of people experience slow ops here, and when I went two years ago they were just okay, but the operations were really good this time around. I got Potato Patch fries as well. The park also looked great like always and has a great old feel to it. Still one of my favorite parks! Rides:

Sky Rocket - Back row. The drop after the brake run in the back is enough of a reason to ride it.

Volcano - I've been on this exact enterprise when it was at Lake Compounce before it got sent to Kennywood actually. It felt a little faster than the other Huss versions for some reason.

Noah's Ark - Similar feel to the old one, but better.

Thunderbolt x 5 - Back row once, front row once, 2nd row the other three times. Still awesome! On one of our rides, Phantom went right under us! The best laterals, amazing setting, awesome trains, just a great ride.

Phantom's Revenge x 3 - Second row, middle, second-to-last row. Incredible speed, airtime, and location. Still the best steel coaster I've been on.

Whip x 2

Exterminator

Bayern Kurve x 3 - Finally getting on this was worth the stop alone. This thing goes so fast! The lateral force at the top of the curve is insane, and I love the seats on it.

Kangaroo x 2 - Still awesome, love the airtime.

Jack Rabbit x 2 - Back row. Forgot how ridiculous the double dip is.

Racer - Back row.

Log Jammer - Nice flume that goes quickly through the trough. The uphill section was nice.

Turtle

No Auto Ride or Black Widow????!!!???? FAIL

Why didn't you ride the magic that is Garfield?

^ Ah, the "magic" of Garfield's Nightmare. That's kind of like saying the "state-of-the-art" Earthquake The Ride in Gatlinburg, or the "lifelike dinos" of the Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride in Pigeon Forge.

At least Kennywood redeems themselves with the Bayern Kurve. It's great to see Kennywood work their "magic" each year to keep this rare classic running as it was meant to.

Like a lot of people, I really want the old Old Mill back, but the best thing about Garfield right now is that it's not everyday you can get on a ride that was first built 116 years ago, and kept its current layout for nearly 100 years. For out-of-towners, yep, Garfield is currently ugh, but it's as historical as it gets ride-wise.

I'm intrigued about Garfield since I'm making my maiden voyage out there in a few weeks.

it smells.

and the 3D effects are cheezy as hell.

we LOVED it

If you closed your eyes and wore ear plugs, you'd be able to experience the best part of the ride, the 100+ year old ride system. What doesn't say history like a fat lasagna eating cat?

Canobie's dark ride has the WTF Egyptian part, but at least the effects are charming and haven't been gutted over time.

I'm intrigued about Garfield since I'm making my maiden voyage out there in a few weeks.

it smells.

and the 3D effects are cheezy as hell.

This, in spades! It's also hotter than you can possibly imagine. I personally felt like I was suffocating at one point inside when I went in the peak of summer. Floating at 0.0002mph thru fluorescent cardboard cutouts for 10 minutes was more than enough lol

Anybody here familiar with how the VIP Coaster tour works? Making my first ever visit to the park next week and I'm contemplating getting one, just want a little more insight before I decide.

The VIP tour is actually skip the line passes. They don't have a tour guide take you around and hold your things at exit ramps or anything like that which is what it sounds like. There are two versions:

Version 1: $25 gets you 1 ride on each of the 6 coasters. You have a wristband and they cross off each coaster as you go along.

Version 1a: For $8, you can pay to add on one ride on Black Widow or Aero360. This is an especially good deal and I highly recommend Black Widow. It's the most intense and most fun frisbee I've been on by far.

Version 2: $80 (or $85) gets you unlimited rides on each of the 6 coasters, plus one ride each on Black Widow, Aero360 and I think the extreme flyer thing. I personally think this is an absurd amount of money for little gain with zero other flat rides involved.

Note: They do run out of these, especially the $25 one! Get there around or before noon and you should be good. I arrived at 1PM in June and there were only a handful of $25 bands still available. You are able to buy them online, however it must be done at least 48 hours in advance. The booth where you pick up the passes is straight ahead when you enter. Sky Rocket will be on your right but keep walking straight about 50 paces. It's an unassuming grey-ish thing that kind of looks like a pool snack bar or ride photo booth and you just walk right up.

For what it's worth, they also sell individual one-time-use passes for most of their coasters and the big flat rides. When I was out there in September with the kid, we ended up having to pick them up for Racer because the line was backed up all the way out of the queue and onto the midway, and moving as fast as molasses. So if you end up running into anything like that, it might be worth it if need be.

Definitely worth it, I just can't swing it right now. $500 car insurance deductible just ripped through most of my disposable income for this trip. Real life sucks.

F'n Staten Island drivers!

Oh you know the type, backwards hat, cigarette hanging out of the mouth while talking on the cellphone.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from the park tonight, and I have to say that I haven't had so much fun in years. I gave my niece her first Racer, Jack Rabbit, & Log Jammer rides, and she loved them all. Although not quite tall enough for the other coasters, she's totally game & now her stated #1 goal is to grow before next year. She's hooked.

There were just a few slow operations here and there, but there were also plenty of employees hustling and being accommodating on a busy day. The park looked lush with flowers and landscaping, and I noticed lots of music, live show performances, and even a magician around the park. There were marching band parades and fireworks at night, as well. The whole place felt alive. What's more, the rides were running superbly. Phantom's Revenge is still a Top 10 steel coaster in my humble opinion (airtime out the wazoo), Sky Rocket was a lot of fun, and all of the woodies were very smooth. Whatever it is that Kennywood has learned about wooden coaster maintenance & applied over the years, other parks should be taking notes!

When in Kennywood...eat food! The Potato Patch fries w/ cheese on the side were awesome. I enjoy them soggy and crispy, and I had a good mix of both in my order. Some people don't like the soggy fries, but I find that I'm served this style more and more at restaurants. Potato Patch fries are also similar to the "almost famous" ones served at Pittsburgh's Primanti Bros restaurants. I also had a pretty good funnel cake, dip cone ice cream that was amazing (seriously, go for this ice cream over the others in the park -- it's near the Auto Race), tasty popcorn, and the classic pillow-poof of cotton candy. The $9.99 souvenir cup + refills was a better value than Cedar Point's souvenir offer, and I had plenty of refills that made it worth it.

It was a really magical visit. Five or six years ago, I was worried that the magic was starting to slip: paint was chipping all over the place, ops could be painfully slow, I'd see a lot of rowdy teens and fewer families in general (maybe a subjective thing, I know), the wooden coasters were becoming a bit rough, and I feared that a disappointing run-down quality was creeping in across the park. I'm glad to say that my full faith has been restored. The park felt healthy and vibrant, and this trip reminded me that Kennywood is still one great amusement park.

My biggest Kennywood takeaway still holds true: If you can spare the time, don't fall into a "bang out the credits and hit the road" mindset. Like Knoebels & Waldameer, stick around and really make a day of it, see the lights come on at night, eat slowly, go on the dark rides, water rides, and flat rides, blow $2 on a game and then try again, buy big blocks of fudge before you head for the exit, and just really relax in between the coasters.

I couldn't have asked for a better day!

When in Kennywood...eat food! The Potato Patch fries w/ cheese on the side were awesome. I enjoy them soggy and crispy, and I had a good mix of both in my order. Some people don't like the soggy fries, but I find that I'm served this style more and more at restaurants. Potato Patch fries are also similar to the "almost famous" ones served at Pittsburgh's Primanti Bros restaurants. I also had a pretty good funnel cake, dip cone ice cream that was amazing (seriously, go for this ice cream over the others in the park -- it's near the Auto Race), tasty popcorn, and the classic pillow-poof of cotton candy. The $9.99 souvenir cup + refills was a better value than Cedar Point's souvenir offer, and I had plenty of refills that made it worth it.

Just reading this put me into a diabetic coma. Sounds like you had a good time, though. I can't wait to visit this park, hopefully next year.