Kennywood Discussion Thread

P. 166: Park founder & ex-CEO Carl Hughes passes away
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Good to the last drop

Kennywood Discussion Thread

Postby ECZenith » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:35 am

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at Kennywood Park, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

December 20th, 2006 - Two Zamperla rides coming in 2007: Disk-O and Rockin Tug

December 11th, 2007 - sale of Kennywood to Parques Reunidos announced

October 19th, 2008 - Parts of Phantom's Revenge track to be replaced
December 9th, 2008 - Kennywood is bringing back Bayern Kurve

Aug. 12th, 2009 - Kennywood announces new coaster for 2010 season
Dec. 9th, 2009 - Kennywood announces name of new coaster: Sky Rocket

Jan. 18th, 2010 - Kennywood to introduce Season Pass in 2010 for $89.99
Feb. 9th, 2010 - Tons of Sky Rocket Track arrives
April 30th, 2010 - Sky Rocket opening pushed back to June
July 28th, 2010 - Sky Rocket guidelines adjusted for taller riders

June 30th, 2011 - Pit Fall up for sale, park looking into replacement
July 6th, 2011 - Kennywood announces "Holiday Lights" Winter event
December 10th, 2011 - Crews begin to dismantle Pitt Fall
December 15th, 2011 - 'Black Widow' Zamperla Giant Discovery announced!

April 12th, 2012 - Kennywood closer to selling beer
September 17th, 2012 - Park officially begins selling beer

January 8th, 2013 - Park founder & ex-CEO Carl Hughes passes away

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_350453.html

Kennywood may double its attractions
By Michael Yeomans, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, July 6, 2005

Kennywood Entertainment Co. officials will unveil major expansion plans today that could double the attractions at historic Kennywood Park, with the acquisition of 23 brownfield acres in neighboring Duquesne.

The purchase is the third piece of its growth plan. Over the last decade, the company has stitched together a patchwork of residential parcels in West Mifflin, and last month acquired a shopping plaza anchored by a Kmart that closed two years ago adjacent to Kennywood parking lots. Taken together, the additions will nearly double the size of the century-old park.

The park property is bisected by Route 837 -- Kennywood Boulevard -- with the 40-acre park on the Monongahela River side of the road and another roughly 40 acres of parking lots on the opposite side, connected by a tunnel under the road.

Kennywood spokeswoman Mary Lou Rosemeyer said the company has long wanted to expand but was concerned about access to the park. She said that problem will be eased by the completion of a section of the $2.5 billion Mon-Fayette Expressway linking Interstate 376 in Monroeville to Route 51 in Jefferson Hills and including a junction with Route 837. The highway is about half complete but is missing critical links in the Monongahela Valley to serve struggling former mill towns such as Duquesne, Braddock and Turtle Creek.

The company hired the Downtown consulting firm of Tripp Umbach to do an economic impact study of its three Western Pennsylvania theme parks, which also include the Sandcastle water park in West Homestead and Idlewild Park in Ligonier, Westmoreland County.

Without giving details, Rosemeyer said the study will show that Kennywood Entertainment's three properties have the largest economic impact of any entertainment provider in the region.

"We can be a real destination, if we can get the people in here," she said.

Rosemeyer would not disclose the seller of the 23 acres in Duquesne, or whether the parcel is on the river, or on the east side or west side of Kennywood Boulevard.

She said the company would not wait for the highway's completion before beginning the park expansion, which she said would include additional attractions and parking. She declined to provide details.

Kennywood President Pete McAneny is to be joined by Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato and Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission representative Tom Fox today in unveiling the economic study and expansion plan.

Brooks Robinson Jr., marketing director of the Regional Industrial Development Corp. of Western Pennsylvania, said it has not sold land to Kennywood. RIDC operates the Riverplace City Center of Duquesne industrial park, which is separated from Kennywood by a wide gully.

The Union Railroad also owns a flat parcel of land along the river across the same gully.

Turnpike Commission spokesman Joe Agnello said the design and right of way acquisition for the 24-mile leg of the expressway will take another four years. Depending on whether funding is available, construction could begin by 2010. "Kennywood adds another powerful voice for the project to move forward," he said.

Looks like great news! A modern wooden coaster would be great for the park, but I'm just happy they migh tbe getting something new. :D
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:33 pm.
-Sean C.

FORMER DISNEYLAND ATTRACTION OP

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:12 am

This is strange, and yet expected. Kennywood already owns the railroad graveyard just behind the racer, (Mary Lou slipped that one on a PCNC interview in 1999 i believe) and owned many of the houses on the oposing end of the park. For me, the question is, "which way are they going?"

The shopping center aquisition would just expand the parking, obviously.

I'm anxious to hear about this.
(EDIT: Apparently, she lied.) Now that Merlin is in charge, they now own it.
Last edited by DenDen on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:53 pm.

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:16 am

More tid bits about this in this article! :)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05187/533418.stm

thay state "The former site of U.S. Steel's Duquesne Works, adjacent to Kennywood on the south side of the park, is owned by the Regional Industrial Development Corp." Wierd.

Fabulously FIERCE!

Disappointed

Postby DenDen » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:58 am

Well, the announcement wasn't too "thrilling".... basically, the expansion wouldn't even start until 2010, and is contingent on the Mon-Valley express way being completed. All this hub-bub is based on an independent economic impact study, finding Kennywood to the the #1 Entertainment venue in Western PA, and the only one in SW-PA to never ask for corporate welfare. (and that goes for for-profit AND non-profit venues!)

The park has no idea what they'll do, so they just threw out these possibilities of what might happen in 2010...
New bigger coasters...
A hotel...
k-mart will become either additional parking, or maintainance...
and other standard fair, like rides, games and food.

So, all in all, i thought this news conference was disappointing. From the press conference alerts all over the place, they gave the impression that there were definite plans for expansion. (sigh)

EDIT:Forgot spellcheck :(

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby coaster1 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:47 am

Well they are expanding next year with the Screamin' Swing installation they are getting, glad to see a non upcharge one coming, like Wild Adventures had .. although KW's is the large model.

If it Wasn't For Cliffs I'd Have to Drive 7 Hours for Wood!!!

Postby crispy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:20 pm

Wow, what sucks is thats bigger than the whole of Cliff's amusmnet park

Do you know where your wife is?

Postby PhishyBrewer » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:43 pm

Look out Cedar Fair parks!

The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:25 pm

While I am very excited about Kennywood's "Blue Sky" plans, the timing is very interesting.

They are currently in the planning stages for the Mon-Fayette Expressway section that will run by Kennywood and most of this PR is aimed at getting a strategically placed exit near Kennywood.

In the end they will get the exit (and they deserve it), but don't look for that 200ft Floorless/Inverting/Stand-up/Hyper anytime in the next couple of years.

// Sorry to be a party pooper
Ted

Fabulously FIERCE!

BREAKING NEWS!

Postby DenDen » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:16 am

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cf ... 8663&rfi=6

The highlight of this story.....

He (refering to KW president McAneny) said the park already has plans to add a $2.5 million roller coaster next year.

Um, so this is in addition to screaming swing? What kind of coaster can you get for 2.5 million? a kiddy coaster?

CoastinKatie

Postby CoastinKatie » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:18 am

CoasterFanatic wrote:While I am very excited about Kennywood's "Blue Sky" plans, the timing is very interesting.

They are currently in the planning stages for the Mon-Fayette Expressway section that will run by Kennywood and most of this PR is aimed at getting a strategically placed exit near Kennywood.

In the end they will get the exit (and they deserve it), but don't look for that 200ft Floorless/Inverting/Stand-up/Hyper anytime in the next couple of years.

// Sorry to be a party pooper

Ted it's really funny you say that. I went the back way from my house which was through Dusquense and the Mon-Fayette expressway headquarters is right next door to the park. Well isn't that a surprise.

By the way, I was at KW for about 5 hours yesterday and crowds were moderate for "special price days" longeset wait 45 minutes for Exterminator. It was worth it. I got a huge spinny ride. I don't feel like writing a TR. Unless you all want me too. I doubt it though. :wink:

Katie

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!