TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

^Joe's Fish Co. and Curley's Fries are the best places that are technically a part of the piers. The food on the boardwalk just outside the park has the best places though: Mack's pizza, and Douglass Fudge. There's also good chain places like Kohr Bros, Beaver Tails, Chickie's & Pete's, Stewart's, etc.

Looks like I'm finally going to get to Morey's this year! Right now, my plans are looking like I'll be taking a long weekend, second weekend in August, driving down there early saturday morning (4-5 hours for me depending on traffic) to get there with a few friends not too far after noon. I figure I'll have the day to do the dry stuff, stay the night somewhere nearby, and in the morning do half a day or so at the waterparks. Sunday evening I'll be off to Knoebels campground from there.

So, does that sound reasonable, a full day for the coasters and flats, and a half a day for the waterparks on a weekend mid summer? I've read that crowds aren't generally a huge problem but it's just about peak season, so...

Not going to ask if there are any must-do rides, I know the basics and I'm pretty much only happy if I do everything anyway, but how about food? Anything I absolutely have to try while I'm there? (The Fractured Prune looks like a can't miss, already!)

That's plenty of time to do everything you want. The waterparks open I think @ 9am, Mariners and Surfsides rides open @ noon, usually Adventure opens at 2pm. The trick will be to hit the rides before evening on Saturday, when they do get busier on the mid-summer weekends, basically after everyone has eaten dinner. Even then, you are looking at 20 minutes or so tops for the coasters and more popular flats when its really busy. You'll see things pick up after 5/6pm, but die down around 10pm when the little kids get tired and the strollers exit stage left. They have midnight hours, sometimes later if its busy and late night is when the boardwalk is the best.

I know you said you don't need to know the must rides but unless you are credit whoring you can skip Doo Wopper and Rollies Coaster, both are eh. The Flitzer is awesome. It will have a long line after 5pm, hit it during the day but even if you have to wait its worth it. The big 3 coasters are all great now that Nor'easter is all new again. Ride Great White @ night in the second-to-last last row. Dont skip the flume, Giant Wheel, Ghost Ship, IT, Atmosfear, Kong, Riptide, the Waveswinger, and for fun do dumb stuff like Pirates of Wildwood, Dantes Dungeon, etc. Add in the upcharges and there is tons to do.

Food? Here's a little Wildwood food guide I posted a few months ago. It gives you the full run down. Don't listen to this joker ^ about Curleys. Joe's Fish Co is an awesome bar, but Curleys Fries (right underneath/in front of Joes) are overpriced and overrated. Go to Idaho Potatoes near Mariners instead.

A word of advice about hotels: People that frequent WW stay at the same spots every year, and tend to book far in advance. Don't bother looking in Wildwood unless you want to drop some heavy coin. People book for the week and in mid summer its impossible to find a room for one night, or even all weekend. Nearby you may be able to find something but its not going to be easy. I'd start looking as soon as you can.

Looks like I'm finally going to get to Morey's this year! Right now, my plans are looking like I'll be taking a long weekend, second weekend in August, driving down there early saturday morning (4-5 hours for me depending on traffic) to get there with a few friends not too far after noon. I figure I'll have the day to do the dry stuff, stay the night somewhere nearby, and in the morning do half a day or so at the waterparks. Sunday evening I'll be off to Knoebels campground from there.

So, does that sound reasonable, a full day for the coasters and flats, and a half a day for the waterparks on a weekend mid summer? I've read that crowds aren't generally a huge problem but it's just about peak season, so...

Not going to ask if there are any must-do rides, I know the basics and I'm pretty much only happy if I do everything anyway, but how about food? Anything I absolutely have to try while I'm there? (The Fractured Prune looks like a can't miss, already!)

That's plenty of time to do everything you want. The waterparks open I think @ 9am, Mariners and Surfsides rides open @ noon, usually Adventure opens at 2pm. The trick will be to hit the rides before evening on Saturday, when they do get busier on the mid-summer weekends, basically after everyone has eaten dinner. Even then, you are looking at 20 minutes or so tops for the coasters and more popular flats when its really busy. You'll see things pick up after 5/6pm, but die down around 10pm when the little kids get tired and the strollers exit stage left. They have midnight hours, sometimes later if its busy and late night is when the boardwalk is the best.

I know you said you don't need to know the must rides but unless you are credit whoring you can skip Doo Wopper and Rollies Coaster, both are eh. The Flitzer is awesome. It will have a long line after 5pm, hit it during the day but even if you have to wait its worth it. The big 3 coasters are all great now that Nor'easter is all new again. Ride Great White @ night in the second-to-last last row. Dont skip the flume, Giant Wheel, Ghost Ship, IT, Atmosfear, Kong, Riptide, the Waveswinger, and for fun do dumb stuff like Pirates of Wildwood, Dantes Dungeon, etc. Add in the upcharges and there is tons to do.

Food? Here's a little Wildwood food guide I posted a few months ago. It gives you the full run down. Don't listen to this joker ^ about Curleys. Joe's Fish Co is an awesome bar, but Curleys Fries (right underneath/in front of Joes) are overpriced and overrated. Go to Idaho Potatoes near Mariners instead.

A word of advice about hotels: People that frequent WW stay at the same spots every year, and tend to book far in advance. Don't bother looking in Wildwood unless you want to drop some heavy coin. People book for the week and in mid summer its impossible to find a room for one night, or even all weekend. Nearby you may be able to find something but its not going to be easy. I'd start looking as soon as you can.

Thanks! That's everything I need to know. I'm looking at hotels now, there are a few well rated ones nearby still available; not cheap, but doable, and plenty of them 30-45 minutes away. I don't see any problems there but I'll get one booked tonight just to be sure.

Well, another trip. I won free tickets to Morey's Piers for early-to-mid August (probably gonna get the credits in an hour and leave),

giphy.gif

Look, I know I'm the resident Moreys nut around here but I must tell you that Moreys is not about credits, its not even about the coasters. If you drive all the way down to Wildwood to run around and get the coaster credits in an hour (which not to mention is not really even possible unless you're driving between the piers which is just dumb) you're doing Wildwood all wrong.

Please do not waste one of those Golden Tickets on a two hour credit run. I mean, you get free water park access with those tickets! Plan for at least a full afternoon, if not a full day. There is so much to do. Many people will agree with me that Moreys is fantastic at night. Take a ride on the Giant Wheel and look out over the ocean. Do one of the waterparks. Ride some great flats - the flume, IT, the flyers, Atmosfear, Riptide, the sh*tty dark rides! The Great White is exceptional (IMO) while the other five coasters are fun but a little average.

Wildwood is about great flats, boardwalk food, long bumpy rides on the tram car. Wildwood is about cheesy doo-wop themeing, amazing light packages, and a fantastic boardwalk lining a great big free beach next to the wide open Atlantic Ocean. Wildwood is about the smell of pizza-taffy-funnel-cake-french fries, seagulls trying to steal your ice cream, people watching half naked Jersey shore rejects trudging down the sand. And yes, there are some coasters to ride. But one does not simply visit Wildwood as a credit stop.

And if you do wind up stopping in for a credit run, make sure to check the calendar as the three piers operating hours are different and could screw that all up for you if you show up first thing in the morning. And for the love of god - eat something on the boardwalk!

As for advice on Great Adventure? Have a look right here at this handy guide.

If you do a short visit/credit run, that might be OK, but only if it's at night!! Even the coasters are completely different and better at night. In fact I'd say don't bother if it hasn't started cooling off yet. The main thing I can see the day being good for is the water park and the beach. I haven't been there in a long time, and when I did it was mostly to ride coasters, so I may not know what Wildwood's really about, but I know this.

I don't know if I'll get back, I do remember the feeling of reaching the top of Nor'easter's lift at night, but not sure if the whole scene is for a lone traveler and it's a long way etc. and what you guys are saying is only rubbing that in.... I do remember trying to get a room there -- very possible if you're willing to pay for the whole week but that's the first thing they ask on Saturday nights. I was wondering if it might be doable if I only wanted Sunday night?

I don't know if I'll get back, I do remember the feeling of reaching the top of Nor'easter's lift at night, but not sure if the whole scene is for a lone traveler and it's a long way etc. and what you guys are saying is only rubbing that in.... I do remember trying to get a room there -- very possible if you're willing to pay for the whole week but that's the first thing they ask on Saturday nights. I was wondering if it might be doable if I only wanted Sunday night?

There are rooms available but not what most would call cheap. I just got a room at a Red Roof a few miles back from the shore, $300 with tax and fees for a saturday in August. For a Red Roof. The one I usually say in near Dorney is about $70 a night, for comparison. Bearable since I'll have 3 others going with me to split it, but still pretty ridiculous.

You can do a little bit cheaper but some of them are a bit sketchy looking.

Yeah, I always prefer to book with a name brand hotel. Even if it's one that's generally on the crappier side at least they have some standards to uphold. Wildwood has tons of cool, mom and pop places you've never heard of. It's kind of cool and creates an awesome retro vibe, but it makes booking rooms pretty tough and a bit of a gamble. It's REALLY hard to find a name brand hotel in Wildwood.

The most expensive hotel room I ever stayed in was in Wildwood and the place was pretty much sh*t.

Yeah, I'm sure lots of them are great. I'm just a bit on the cautious side with hotels; I've had two incidents with bedbugs in the last few years (one I noticed in time, one that I didn't...to be fair, both were at chain hotels.) and I reaaaaallly would like to not run into that again. I'd rather go with a chain that I trust for my first visit to the area - Red Roofs but not be the most luxurious hotels but I've never been to one that wasn't clean and reasonably well kept. Once I've actually seen some of the other hotels, I'd probably be more willing to consider them next time.

Yeah, I always prefer to book with a name brand hotel. Even if it's one that's generally on the crappier side at least they have some standards to uphold. Wildwood has tons of cool, mom and pop places you've never heard of. It's kind of cool and creates an awesome retro vibe, but it makes booking rooms pretty tough and a bit of a gamble. It's REALLY hard to find a name brand hotel in Wildwood.

The most expensive hotel room I ever stayed in was in Wildwood and the place was pretty much sh*t.

I told you the problem you guys had was you were booking for one night on a Saturday in the middle of the summer. Lots of the mom+pop places are great and surprisingly cheap but most require week long bookings because thats what a huge chunk of people do when they visit Wildwood. Until I had a regular place to stay down there thats all we ever did because its the only way you can get rooms at reasonable prices. Some places know how hard it is to find rooms for one night so when someone comes requesting that they take advantage and charge ridiculous prices. Its just a Wildwood thing. You could of course book over the winter and get a room for one night at a reasonably cheap price but that doesn't work for enthusiasts who are coming for rides and want to wait til last minute to watch the weather. Just look @ the Coastin By The Ocean event on FB - all the comments are people bitching they cant find rooms for a night or two. Its cause they're all booked for the week!

I'm very lucky I always have a place to stay there.

Yeah, I understand. Just didn't have much choice at this point and I don't mind sucking it up and paying extra for the one night. I've been wanting to get to Morey's for years, so it's worth dropping a little extra cash to make it happen while I can.

I told you the problem you guys had was you were booking for one night on a Saturday in the middle of the summer. Lots of the mom+pop places are great and surprisingly cheap but most require week long bookings because thats what a huge chunk of people do when they visit Wildwood. Until I had a regular place to stay down there thats all we ever did because its the only way you can get rooms at reasonable prices. Some places know how hard it is to find rooms for one night so when someone comes requesting that they take advantage and charge ridiculous prices. Its just a Wildwood thing. You could of course book over the winter and get a room for one night at a reasonably cheap price but that doesn't work for enthusiasts who are coming for rides and want to wait til last minute to watch the weather. Just look @ the Coastin By The Ocean event on FB - all the comments are people bitching they cant find rooms for a night or two. Its cause they're all booked for the week!

I'm very lucky I always have a place to stay there.

That's exactly the problem I've had too. Anyone actually willing to allow me to book a single Saturday night in the summer was charging $200+ for it. That's the thing about market forces: If everyone in that area is all doing the same thing, then they can all get away with it. I mean, I paid it, so it clearly worked.

The Wildwoods Boardwalk Voted Best Boardwalk in New Jersey

The Wildwoods boardwalk was selected ‘The Best Boardwalk in New Jersey’ by Things To Do in New Jersey blog readers, in the first-ever Battle of the Boardwalks competition.

The Wildwoods’ New Jersey Boardwalk swept the competition, with nearly half of the vote at 46 percent.

The Wildwoods’ two and a half-mile action-packed boardwalk is home to 38 blocks of pure sensory overload for the entire family including amusement rides, water parks, over 300 eatery options, endless shops, arcades, carnival-style games entertainment and FREE beaches – no beach tags required.

The East Coast’s most fun and exciting seaside promenade is home to three amusement piers boasting over 100 rides and attractions – including world-class roller coasters and three beachfront waterparks.

“We are pleased to be recognized by Things To Do in New Jersey blog readers for touting the Wildwoods’ Boardwalk as a one-of-a-kind entertainment experience full of fun and exciting attractions,” said John Siciliano, executive director/CFO for the Greater Wildwoods Tourism Improvement and Development Authority (GWTIDA).

The Wildwoods Boardwalk is called “two miles of smiles” for good reason. The spectacular amusement piers with over 100 rides and attractions including world-class roller coasters, interactive waterparks, family atmosphere, carnival-style games of chance, arcades, shops and irresistible food make the Wildwoods a summer “must” for anyone visiting the Jersey Shore.

In addition, The Wildwoods are home to the largest collection of mid-century architecture in the country and over 8,000 hotel-motel rooms and 3,000 vacation rentals.

The Wildwoods boardwalk was selected ‘The Best Boardwalk in New Jersey’ by Things To Do in New Jersey blog readers, in the first-ever Battle of the Boardwalks competition.

The Wildwoods’ New Jersey Boardwalk swept the competition, with nearly half of the vote at 46 percent.

YOU DON'T SAY?!

giphy.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Joe's Fish Co is an awesome bar, but Curleys Fries (right underneath/in front of Joes) are overpriced and overrated. Go to Idaho Potatoes near Mariners instead.

No true self proclaimed "Wildwood nut" would deem Curley's Fries overrated.

Haha! Well, they are.

Also, good news everyone, the world is not ending.

IT LIVES!

Updated Official Statement from Morey's Piers regarding ride closures

Following the tragedy that occurred on a ride at the Ohio State Fair on Wednesday, July 26th, Morey’s Piers chose to close two rides, “IT” and “Maelstrom," due to the potential similarities between these rides.

On Thursday, July 27th, the State of New Jersey required Morey’s Piers to keep these two rides closed until further notice. In the interim, Morey’s has been working closely with the State of New Jersey and KMG International, the ride designer/manufacturer, to determine the next steps.

KMG International has determined the ride “IT” to be substantially different in the design and engineering than the ride involved in the incident at the Ohio State Fair and thus safe to operate.

After additional testing, and an engineering review through the State of NJ, the NJ Department of Community Affairs has approved the operation of “IT” and it is scheduled to re-open later today, Friday, July 28, 2017.

The “Maelstrom” is still under review by the manufacturer and the State and will remain closed until further notice.

Whew! Thank Jeebus cause we'll be down soon and I was seriously getting bummed this may close for a while. As if the thing wasn't insane enough, IT is definitely gonna be a bit scarier to ride now!

That's good news, at least! Hopefully Maelstrom isn't out of action too long either; I've only managed to get on one of those rides once before, but it was a good one. No idea what the timeframe looks like for it though.

Thankfully IT reopened, it's my favorite Afterburner, which is my favorite flat ride, I mean even on the Afterburner that broke, it was a freak accident, and now I think it'll be even safer to ride these things. It's just a shame accidents and injuries have to happen first.