Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

P. 887: Hyperspace Mountain returns on May 25th, 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

Postby Jew » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:02 pm

Or, conversely, Disney can go forward with the hotel on their own without the tax break. Pretty sure they can afford it and would easily recoup the lost tax rebate...

The contract is technically void because of the different address of the hotel. Since the deal was first approved, the political climate changed in Anaheim. City found a loophole and will likely turn that into a better deal for the city.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:07 pm

City found a loophole and will likely turn that into a better deal for the city.

In the meantime, it's a pretty rotten deal for all the people who lost their existing jobs, and the ones who would have had jobs at the new hotel under the original construction schedule. I'm sure they won't be sending the Mayor or the City Council any thank you notes.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:59 pm

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:
City found a loophole and will likely turn that into a better deal for the city.

In the meantime, it's a pretty rotten deal for all the people who lost their existing jobs, and the ones who would have had jobs at the new hotel under the original construction schedule. I'm sure they won't be sending the Mayor or the City Council any thank you notes.

Disney is paying $52 billion for FOX. They can afford to miss out on $13mil/year in tax credit when the hotel was sure to charge at least $400/night and generate $100mil+ in revenue per year. The hotel wasn't even set to go to the planning commission for final approval until August 20th, so all this really amounts to is political theater. New city council members who weren't even on the council when the deal was approved found a loophole and did what they were elected to do in using that to operate in the best interests of the city. Disney fought back to try and make them look bad by announcing they are putting it on hold. Nobody ultimately wins, but I suspect the city is going to get a better deal giving less back to Disney than the original 70%.

Disney desperately needs the hotel capacity, so I don't believe they will actually delay this.

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:27 am

As a Tax payer, who lives in anaheim, this is the way I see it -

The city/residence should have never approved the tax subsidy to begin with, it wasn't needed. Or, it didn't need to be 70% rebate for 20 years. But, it was so that's done.

Disney, and other companies, applied for the rebate and were approved. The hotel was on Disney property, and is still on disney property. The hotel site was moved roughly 1000ft south from the original site. Changing the address from 1401 to 1601.

This address change is what the City is saying gives them the right to deny the tax rebate to disney, because it has a new address.

Not that I think Disney needs the tax break, but they were approved for it. Changing the site address is not a valid reason for the city to revoke ANYTHING. The hotel was and still is on Disney property.

The only real difference the city is citing as an issue is number of permanent jobs created. The original number was 1150 jobs, when the hotel was NOT sitting on top of Downtown Disney. Now that the hotel will use land once occupied by businesses that are now closed, that number will change.

However, there were plans released by the city (and then taken down) that show basically the same total square footage being reintroduced, at ground level, for Downtown Disney Shops and Retail. So, a new study would need to be completed. But, it's likely going to be the same number range. So, again, this is stupid.

The current City Council has been against anything Disney that they have the power to control. No matter what it is. Simply because, it's Disney and they feel Disney is just bad. But, Disney is the reason Anaheim is what it is. I do not think Disney should be able to do what ever they want, but pulling this petty bullsh*t with the hotel, and also the eastern gateway is totally wrong!

Also, Disney moved the hotel back in October, and the city only now chose to notify Disney there would be an issue. After the project had started and DTD locations had been told to close.

The city is cutting off it's nose to spite it's face. Does Disney need a subsidy? No. But the city approved a valid application, that it is now trying to revoke. I am done with this current council and they way they think.

There was a final article released last night, saying the city might be willing to work something out.

Here's some additional reading if you want to get more in depth with the whole saga this is turning into.

www.anaheimblog.net Hotel Hold

www.anaheimblog.net Tax Revenue

City Notice / Disney Notice

https://www.ocregister.com Possible Resolution
Last edited by COASTER FREAK 11 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:52 am.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:31 am

We need to hear both sides of the story. Of course the city sounds like the bad one right now but they probably have a reason.

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:55 am

We have both sides.

The City Council is holding the Tax Rebate Incentive hostage from Disney because of the change of address of the hotel. Its that simple.

The reason the current councils is doing this, is because the majority of them don't agree that Disney should be getting a rebate.

But, no matter anyones current opinion of the rebate, the previous council approved it. And, therefore, it should be honored.

If the city does not honor the agreement, then that sets a precedent that the city can/will void an agreement legally made; if the council suddenly decides it is not to their liking. That does not look good to new business or business that wants to expand within the city.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby VegasBaby » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:24 am

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:If the city does not honor the agreement, then that sets a precedent that the city can/will void an agreement legally made; if the council suddenly decides it is not to their liking. That does not look good to new business or business that wants to expand within the city.

I think that last statement is the key point here. It's not whether Disney needs or deserves the tax break, the city already voted to give it to them and they made construction plans accordingly. The city looks bad here canceling the deal on a technicality and it will make companies in the future hesitant to deal with them.
Coaster Count: 209 Last Coaster: Hangtime
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) El Toro 6) Twisted Colossus 7) Maverick 8) Lightning Rod 9) Mako 10) Storm Runner

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:26 am

VegasBaby wrote:
COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:If the city does not honor the agreement, then that sets a precedent that the city can/will void an agreement legally made; if the council suddenly decides it is not to their liking. That does not look good to new business or business that wants to expand within the city.

I think that last statement is the key point here. It's not whether Disney needs or deserves the tax break, the city already voted to give it to them and they made construction plans accordingly. The city looks bad here canceling the deal on a technicality and it will make companies in the future hesitant to deal with them.

Correct!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:47 am

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:As a Tax payer, who lives in anaheim, this is the way I see it -

The city/residence should have never approved the tax subsidy to begin with, it wasn't needed. Or, it didn't need to be 70% rebate for 20 years. But, it was so that's done.

Disney, and other companies, applied for the rebate and were approved. The hotel was on Disney property, and is still on disney property. The hotel site was moved roughly 1000ft south from the original site. Changing the address from 1401 to 1601.

This address change is what the City is saying gives them the right to deny the tax rebate to disney, because it has a new address.

Not that I think Disney needs the tax break, but they were approved for it. Changing the site address is not a valid reason for the city to revoke ANYTHING. The hotel was and still is on Disney property.

The only real difference the city is citing as an issue is number of permanent jobs created. The original number was 1150 jobs, when the hotel was NOT sitting on top of Downtown Disney. Now that the hotel will use land once occupied by businesses that are now closed, that number will change.

However, there were plans released by the city (and then taken down) that show basically the same total square footage being reintroduced, at ground level, for Downtown Disney Shops and Retail. So, a new study would need to be completed. But, it's likely going to be the same number range. So, again, this is stupid.

The current City Council has been against anything Disney that they have the power to control. No matter what it is. Simply because, it's Disney and they feel Disney is just bad. But, Disney is the reason Anaheim is what it is. I do not think Disney should be able to do what ever they want, but pulling this petty bullsh*t with the hotel, and also the eastern gateway is totally wrong!

Also, Disney moved the hotel back in October, and only now chose to notify Disney there would be an issue. After the project had started and DTD locations had been told to close.

The city is cutting off it's nose to spite it's face. Does Disney need a subsidy? No. But the city approved it a valid application, that it is now trying to revoke. I am done with this current council and they way they think.

There was a final article released last night, saying the city might be willing to work something out.

Here's some additional reading if you want to get more in depth with the whole saga this is turning into.

www.anaheimblog.net Hotel Hold

www.anaheimblog.net Tax Revenue

City Notice / Disney Notice

https://www.ocregister.com Possible Resolution

:nina:

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:53 pm

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:
VegasBaby wrote:

Correct!

Geez Chris, if this is basically what's going on between Council and Disney...I feel sorry that your tax dollars are going to such a waste of time.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!