Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

P. 821: Disneyland announces new Fastpass options
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

Postby PAL » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:28 am

Star Tours was a massive upgrade. Amazing Hi-Def, multiple outcomes, a wider cast of popular (and one unpopular) Star Wars characters, and a lot of interesting action in the background (Han shoots first!).

The Matterhorn refurb, not so much. I'd think the rush on the 'Horn should fade fast. Speaking of the Matterhorn...

Taller people may like to know that my 6ft 6 son managed to fit in seat 3. It took some human origami, but he didn't seem to mind that his knees were so high they were centimeters from reaching the grab bar. Big feet might be more of a problem. My size 14 gunboats barely fit in the odd footwells, leaving my legs in an awkwardly bent. It wasn't as comfortable an experience as the earlier model trains, but not so bad I'll stop riding a living coaster landmark.

My point is taller and larger riders should give the new sleds a try. Don't just assume you won't fit based on the scuttlebutt.

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:43 pm

TPDave wrote:Is the new Star Tours really that popular?!? I'm amazed that a rehashed simulator can hold those kinds of crowds,

Dave

I was pleasently surprised with the new upgrades that I ended up riding it four times this visit. That is about the same number of times that I have ridden the original version in the last 7 or 8 years.

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Thrillseeker321 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:12 pm

I havent been to the park in about 3 years and was wondering if a deluxe annual passport is worth the money?

Postby Wes » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:17 pm

^ Can you be less specific?

It's hot outside, and I have a headache

Postby SLUSHIE » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:52 am

I'm in the group of people (is there a group?) that would rather of had the ride taken out or left alone than updated. I'm not the biggest fan of straight up simulators, but Star Tours is something you always had to do once on your visit (for those that don't go all the time). I've only been to Disneyland once since it reopened and I rode it twice, I opted to ride Matterhorn a couple more times rather than ride it again (this was probably a year ago). When I rode the 2nd time there was only one scene that was different. The fact that it changes is cool, but it doesn't change the ride. To me it's not worth spending my time in line to ride it again just to see 30 seconds of different footage. If I want to see the different scenes I'll look at them on youtube.

The updated projection and 3D does look pretty damn good though.

I don't think the update of Star Tours was necessarily to increase the rides long term popularity, but to just make it a bit less dated and fresher. Kinda like the additions to Pirates n such.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby KDcoasterMAN » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:20 am

Wanted to repost this from screamscape this morning. Rather welcome with a rather amusing ending.

Last edited by ernierocker on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:45 am.

Postby Wes » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:55 am

^ Was originally posted on here around the opening, but it is a cute video. Glad to see it has some legs.

Young and Stupid! I blame my parents.

Postby SoCalCoasters » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:19 am

^^ That was quite cute! Pretty unique way of advertising the area, but I think it works quite well. The ending especially cracked me up. :lol:
TPR's Biggest Legoland Nerd, and proud!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Chrisrad » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:35 am

Thrillseeker321 wrote:I havent been to the park in about 3 years and was wondering if a deluxe annual passport is worth the money?

We're already past the price increase for annual passes, so now the Deluxe passes are about $470 (they were about $380 last year); premiums are up to $650.

If you plan on going this summer, and you don't want to pay extra to get in, you'll need a deluxe pass; the two so-cal passes are blocked until August (thankfully ;) ) You can always buy a cheap pass and go on that day, then upgrade later; you just can't make payments on the price difference, only the original amount.

I've had deluxe passes since 2005, and finally got a premium in 2011. Turns out, I didn't need the extra days and just used the free parking more than anything.
Chris #10
2011 Northeast & Cedar Point Trips
Maverick > Millennium Force

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:46 am

TPDave wrote:I guess it'll be interesting to see how Star Tours is holding up in a year after mermaid and cars land fully settle in.

Carsland will hold a crowd. You just have to look at Test Track to see that RSR will keep drawing.

Little Mermaid, not so much. Both times I have been to the park there was a line during the day and a walk on at night. Everybody was at World of Color.

Star Tours will still be popular for a while because of the variations. You have to see it multiple times to catch the different scenes. That and the fact that each Star Wars movie is going to be released one a year in 3D for the next 5 years.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!