TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I’m a little confused when they say Gaurdians of the Galaxy will be “anchoring” the new land. Does this mean it will be the featured attraction? Do you guys think there will be a new ride?

They will have just finished up spending a rumored billion dollars on Star Wars, so I suspect that is correct...for now. Have no doubt this land will have a phase two with another attraction that will reside in the remaining space behind Tower. I imagine with all the dead space in Hollywood between Hollywood & Dine, Muppets 3D, and the Who Wants to be a Millionaire building...eventually that whole land gets transformed in phases over the next 5-10 years.

As a huge Marvel fan, I really loved Guardians of the Galaxy makeover at ToT, I am very happy to have two distinctly different themes for each of their drop rides on the different coasts, but the Marvel theme is awesome and I'm happy to see more coming. All this talk of the anchor ride being GotG, sure this will be the case for now, one would hope that the Spiderman swinging dark ride/coaster concept will eventually get built there. There's no way you'll see it by 2020, and the building would have to be absolutely massive, and also super tall. The patents are promising, hope this comes to fruition one day.

Spidey.jpg.025074d7837dc218a672c8a0dbd32c9c.jpg

^That looks awesome.

I'm interested what the plans are for this because I don't really see any of the current attractions in Bug's Land being easily convertible to Marvel themes. Any chance they would move the Star Tours ride system out of Tomorrowland and into this area for an Iron Man makeover like in Hong Kong? I'm not sure how easy that would be logistically, but it would fit nicely.

From the pictures it looks like each park is getting unique attractions. Ant-Man and Wasp feature prominently on Hong Kong's representing the Buzz Lightyear conversion, Iron Man on the Paris poster to represent the Rock n Rollercoaster conversion. However Marvel Land in California will be directly following Galaxy's Edge and Marvel is much more popular/acclaimed in the US. I don't think they'll settle for cheap conversions since they hold the American resorts to much higher standards and Bug's Land never had any strong rides to begin with. I think we're gonna see straight up demolition of everything that was there and hopefully a Spider-Man e-ticket and some Black Panther/Wakanda experience. And holy crap that patent looks amazing please make that a reality disney!!!

From the pictures it looks like each park is getting unique attractions. Ant-Man and Wasp feature prominently on Hong Kong's representing the Buzz Lightyear conversion, Iron Man on the Paris poster to represent the Rock n Rollercoaster conversion. However Marvel Land in California will be directly following Galaxy's Edge and Marvel is much more popular/acclaimed in the US. I don't think they'll settle for cheap conversions since they hold the American resorts to much higher standards and Bug's Land never had any strong rides to begin with. I think we're gonna see straight up demolition of everything that was there and hopefully a Spider-Man e-ticket and some Black Panther/Wakanda experience. And holy crap that patent looks amazing please make that a reality disney!!!

I agree with what you’re saying here. This will be full demolition and not a transform by any means. Although I did read from one source that It’s tough to be a bug will be revamped into a new attraction based on marvel. I’m not buying that though considering they’re closing the ride now, two years from opening! A redo would never take that long. Also, look on google maps, from it’s tough to be a bug entrance to the entire bugs land plot there is a lot of land to work with. I don’t think this will be cheap down at all. Plus this will be DCA first “real” construction in 6 years

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/03/disneyland-after-dark-event-series-continues-may-3-with-star-wars-nite/

nshdfjsdfkj345.thumb.jpg.a723d417018d9bfdb547305895a13dea.jpg

Get ready to ring in May the Fourth at Star Wars Nite – the second after-hours event in the new Disneyland After Dark series. On the evening of May 3, guests at this celebration of all things from a galaxy far, far away will be the first to experience the new “March of the First Order,” to meet Rey at Star Wars Launch Bay, and to celebrate the return of Hyperspace Mountain!

Come dressed in your favorite Star Wars attire for this one-night-only event, which will also feature:

• Exclusive after-hours access to Disneyland park, with mix-in access beginning at 6 p.m.
  • Special entertainment, including character encounters and more!
  • Themed décor and immersive Star Wars-themed photo opportunities.
  • Commemorative lanyard, event credential and complimentary PhotoPass photos during the event.
  • First opportunity to purchase limited-edition “May the 4th” merchandise.

A limited quantity of tickets will be available, so be sure to visit Disneyland.com for pricing and details, and mark these dates on your calendar:

• March 27: Tickets on sale for Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders
  • March 29: Tickets on sale for general public

Get ready to jump to hyperspace with Star Wars Nite, part of Disneyland After Dark, only on May 3. Plus, stay tuned for additional event updates including elements from Solo: A Star Wars Story, in theaters May 25.

And remember – beginning May 4, all Disneyland park guests will be able to enjoy these new and returning Star Wars experiences:

• “March of First Order” – Captain Phasma guides a squad of First Order stormtroopers through Tomorrowland in a dramatic show of force.
  • Encounter Rey – Meet the Resistance’s newest hero at Star Wars Launch Bay.
  • Hyperspace Mountain – This popular transformation of Space Mountain returns!

SOF181500.thumb.jpg.101d5f2d2814de4a4426775b56410871.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/27/heres-whats-closing-at-downtown-disney-to-make-way-for-a-new-hotel/

Several businesses that have anchored Anaheim’s Downtown Disney since it opened in 2001 will be demolished this summer, including the popular ESPN Zone, Rainforest Cafe and AMC 12 Theatres, to make room for a new 700-room hotel that will expand lodging at the Disneyland Resort.

This is the largest renovation of the major shopping-and-entertainment district, which was created to accompany the expansion of Disneyland with a second theme park and the new Grand Californian hotel. The announcement marks a turning point as the destination moves from its former emphasis on attracting local residents to courting out-of-town visitors willing to spend money on a four-diamond hotel, experts said.

Disney officials announced that the businesses would close by June 30, with demolition slated to begin in early July to clear the site for the new and as-yet-unnamed hotel, which will occupy 17 acres. It’s unknown at this point if any of the closed businesses will reopen elsewhere in Anaheim, though talks are ongoing about one or more reopening inside the new hotel complex.

Here’s what is being demolished:

- AMC 12 Theatres

- Rainforest Cafe

- ESPN Zone

- Earl of Sandwich

- Alamo Rent-a-Car

- Starbucks (only the west side location)

- Two Disney businesses – Disney Vacation Club and Walt Disney Travel – will continue to operate in other resort locations.

Essentially, everything on the Downtown Disney property west of the Lego store and Disneyland Drive will be demolished, until the boundary of the Disneyland Hotel is reached.

Employees of the businesses were being notified of the impending closures on Tuesday, officials said.

Gavin Doyle, author of “Disneyland Secrets,” said he was glad they weren’t waiting until the end of the summer to begin demolition.

“People seem to be the most sad about losing the Earl of Sandwich (quick service restaurant), because it’s probably the least expensive and best tasting meal in Downtown Disney,” Doyle said.

Although all the businesses are expected to close by June 30, some may close earlier, officials said. No date for the start of demolition has yet been set. Disney has yet to receive expected final approvals from the city of Anaheim for the new hotel, which is slated to include a monorail stop and a new restaurant-lounge that offers viewing of the Disneyland fireworks.

Some 200 employees at the Disney-owned ESPN Zone sports bar will be offered bonuses starting at $500 if they remain on the job until the June closing date, and will also be offered severance packages and the chance to seek other jobs at the resort, Disney spokeswoman Suzi Brown said.

“We appreciate their contributions and we’re working with them individually to explore opportunities at this resort,” Brown said.

Disneyland Resort currently has three properties in Anaheim: The Disneyland Hotel, Disney’s Grand Californian and Disney’s Paradise Pier.

Building a new hotel on the popular Disneyland Resort entertainment zone adjacent to the theme parks is “a no-brainer,” said David Koenig, unofficial Disneyland historian and author of “Mouse Tales.”

“Everything they’ve built ‘inside the magic’ (entertainment area) is a guaranteed hit,” Koenig said. “If they could start opening up hotel rooms inside the (Disneyland Sleeping Beauty) castle, they’d do it.”

Doyle said it makes sense for the AMC 12 Theatres to close, as the emphasis shifts from attracting local users to out-of-towners who spend money in hotels and on food.

“A movie theater in general is just not anyone’s priority of top things to do at Disneyland,” Doyle said. “It’s smart for them to get rid of it.”

A spokeswoman for the Downtown Disney location of the Rainforest Cafe chain was not immediately able to comment.

The Earl of Sandwich shop opened in 2012 and has been a hit ever since, spokeswoman Amy Sadowsky said. She declined to comment on speculation that a new hotel might contain an Earl of Sandwich location when it opens, slated for three years from now.

“We’re sad this is happening, but it’s progress,” Sadowsky said. “It’s a great new development that Disney is building.”

Sadowsky said that the Earl of Sandwich plans to operate until the June 30 deadline, and its 69 employees will have the chance to be considered for jobs at Buca di Beppo, which is also owned by parent company Planet Hollywood International.

“We’re hoping to keep people by encouraging them with pay,” Sadowsky said.

Two job fairs are scheduled, including a Disneyland Resort Culinary Job Fair on April 16 at the Grand Californian and a Resort area job fair on May 3 at the Disneyland Pacific Hotel. They are open to the public.

Edited by robbalvey

Doyle said it makes sense for the AMC 12 Theatres to close, as the emphasis shifts from attracting local users to out-of-towners who spend money in hotels and on food. “A movie theater in general is just not anyone’s priority of top things to do at Disneyland,” Doyle said. “It’s smart for them to get rid of it.”

What's weird about that statement is how WELL the AMC works at Disney Springs in Orlando. I mean, that theater is constantly PACKED with people to the point that they expanded it with the Dine In option years ago. They constantly have most theaters filled when a new Disney release comes out and I couldn't think of a better place south of El Capitan in So Cal to see a new Disney release than at Disneyland.

I would say that it may be because there are tons of other movie theaters around Disneyland, but there are also tons around Disney Springs also. Either way, no lost sleep over a movie theater going away. It's just funny to me to read a statement like that which defines how different the Disney demographic is in SoCal versus Orlando.

Doyle said it makes sense for the AMC 12 Theatres to close, as the emphasis shifts from attracting local users to out-of-towners who spend money in hotels and on food. “A movie theater in general is just not anyone’s priority of top things to do at Disneyland,” Doyle said. “It’s smart for them to get rid of it.”

What's weird about that statement is how WELL the AMC works at Disney Springs in Orlando. I mean, that theater is constantly PACKED with people to the point that they expanded it with the Dine In option years ago. They constantly have most theaters filled when a new Disney release comes out and I couldn't think of a better place south of El Capitan in So Cal to see a new Disney release than at Disneyland.

I would say that it may be because there are tons of other movie theaters around Disneyland, but there are also tons around Disney Springs also. Either way, no lost sleep over a movie theater going away. It's just funny to me to read a statement like that which defines how different the Disney demographic is in SoCal versus Orlando.

You nailed it with the different demographics. I think a lot of it is that Disneyland isn't an actual resort, despite what they want to try and call it, so the majority of visitors are either AP holders or visitors who do other things in the region on their vacation. I honestly thought the movie theater did good business because of the AP holders who would see a movie and then pop into the parks, but a movie theater is no match for a super pricey hotel in terms of revenue.

You could easily never leave WDW property in a week and do anything you could ever imagine.

I've seen the same thing in WDW, but every time I've been in Disneyland's AMC, the place has been pretty empty. The box office people look really, really bored. My local movie theatre seems more crowded by comparison.

Just going by my observation here, but where I see the difference is, in Orlando, Disney Springs stands out as a special place to be and to have an event. Usually a visit to Disney Springs is part of the vacation of a lifetime, and how many people on one of those have been to a movie theatre that brings food to your seat? For those who go there, a dinner and movie night is significant and made even moreso for being at Disney.

Contrast that with how such an event is commonplace for people in SoCal who frequently go out as part of their everyday lifestyle. They're perfectly willing to save dinner and movie night for their local mall instead of traveling through awful LA traffic to Downtown Disney where basically the same movie experience awaits but costs more. If they spend the money and brave the traffic, they're riding Space Mountain, riding Indiana Jones, seeing that castle or bust! Who wants to go to that AMC when you could be riding Pirates of the Caribbean, and the same stuff plays at the local movie house anyway? It's a 180 degree difference in perception.

I don't think anyone will miss that AMC going away.

^ I absolutely agree. SoCal is kind of entertainment overload and people have experienced everything so an AMC at Downtown Disney isn’t anything special. I watched Gardians of the Galaxy 2 there at 9pm on the day of release and the theater is only about half full!

Another four diamond hotel would make much more money for Disney. And honestly can make that corner of Downtown Disney a bit more upscale.

I'm excited for the changes! It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, they bring back. I'm hoping Earl of Sandwich comes back but I'd also be excited for something new and different. I also hope that Rainforest comes back, or at least opens up nearby, as that is pretty much the location I get to use my Landry points at!

Wait, there are still ESPN Zones?

That was the last one.

I actually liked the concept, since it was basically a sports book without the book part. Could watch any game and still get updates on others in their main room.

From my Analysis, it seems the Black Panther area will Either be the bridge from Hollywoodland to SHU, replacing the Backlot Area, Replacing Hollywoodland in General, or Having a section in Hollywoodland replacing Either ANIMATION, or Disney Junior. Spiderman seems he is having a standalone attraction, due to the swinging ride vehicle patents we got in 2017, it may be located where the backlot is now, or in an avengers or New York themed area replacing bugs land and the Cast member Parking lot (Not confirmed Cast member Parking lot is even being used). Antman has a slim chance of having an attraction, but there may be a restaurant or shop around him. Doctor Strange HAS to be in the New York Area, which may either be where Hollywoodland is now, or in a new New York Area. I would see a walkthrough attraction for Doctor strange, but that's just a speculation. Avengers may be integrated into the new york area, or have their own area, with their own Attraction(s?). Guardians have mission breakout, but there's no reason there can be a miniland built around it including galactic Marvel IPs. A lot of the Architecture in the concept art looks like Hollywoodland, so as a conclusion, either Hollywoodland is getting a reskin, or an expansion to blend in, with a galctic side. In short term, Wakanda, New York, Avengers Headquarters, and (supposedly) Sekaar are my expectations.

I would see a walkthrough attraction for Doctor strange, but that's just a speculation.

We already know it will be portals linking DCA to Hong Kong and Paris. Walk right through and be instantly transported to another Disney park. Disney will be selling Sling Ring upgrades to the Park Hopper pass.

From my Analysis, it seems the Black Panther area will Either be the bridge from Hollywoodland to SHU, replacing the Backlot Area, Replacing Hollywoodland in General, or Having a section in Hollywoodland replacing Either ANIMATION, or Disney Junior. Spiderman seems he is having a standalone attraction, due to the swinging ride vehicle patents we got in 2017, it may be located where the backlot is now, or in an avengers or New York themed area replacing bugs land and the Cast member Parking lot (Not confirmed Cast member Parking lot is even being used). Antman has a slim chance of having an attraction, but there may be a restaurant or shop around him. Doctor Strange HAS to be in the New York Area, which may either be where Hollywoodland is now, or in a new New York Area. I would see a walkthrough attraction for Doctor strange, but that's just a speculation. Avengers may be integrated into the new york area, or have their own area, with their own Attraction(s?). Guardians have mission breakout, but there's no reason there can be a miniland built around it including galactic Marvel IPs. A lot of the Architecture in the concept art looks like Hollywoodland, so as a conclusion, either Hollywoodland is getting a reskin, or an expansion to blend in, with a galctic side. In short term, Wakanda, New York, Avengers Headquarters, and (supposedly) Sekaar are my expectations.

After 13 years, finally the Dippin' Dots guy signs up for a TPR account.

After 13 years, finally the Dippin' Dots guy signs up for a TPR account.