TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

DCA has changed so much over the years, and I've never been there at all (it always came off as a tacky park for Disney standards). Seems like the park has had an identity crisis over the years, so yeah.

Another thing I was thinking is they should just re-theme the whole park to strictly Pixar and Marvel and change the title of the park to "Pixar Marvel Park" or something. They could even re-theme the Grizzly River Rapids to "Claw Tooth Mountain Rapids" from Pixar's The Good Dinosaur.

Either way, I how the park has a fan base and I can't wait to see what else changes there. However, I don't plan on ever going though.

Edited by Sheep-O-Matic

Either way, I how the park has a fan base and I can't wait to see what else changes there. However, I don't plan on ever going though.

that is a rather silly attitude, and hey, if you're fine missing out on some spectacular rides, as well as themeing (have you seen CarsLand, or Hollywood Boulevard areas??. . hell, even way back when, the boardwalk area was charming, and the Bug's Life/Honey I shrunk the kids area was amazing to look at.

but if you are happy ignoring the park, more power to you.

but it's a rather silly attitude.

^

I am well aware of what the park has, and have seen plenty of videos of the new things they've added. The park simply doesn't interest me.

I think what turns me off about it is its lack of identity as evident with all the changes and re-themes it undergoes. Disneyland has stayed the same for the most part. Even with the changes they make, the park sticks with the themed areas it has regardless of whatever is popular.

It seems that DCA is trying to please people by showcasing whatever movies or Disney properties are relevant. I can look at the park now and can see it's no longer a "California Adventure" celebrating what makes The Golden State so great. I saw it in the 1.0 version of the park, but it's clearly gone now.

It definitely is random IP land. Some sections completely work, like Carsland, flawless. Most do not. For example, I think starting with Little Mermaid, every ride stretching down to Paradise Grill, should be aquatic if not nautical in theme. But here you have Goofy Sky School, Zephyr, and staging for WOC. Grizzly's area works, just needs another attraction to draw crowds. Hollywood - disaster of course, Bugs Land is passable, barely for kids. Pixar Pier, probably the least needed makeover in the resort's history.

I still think their plan, whether a fully fleshed idea out or half-assed thought, is to turn California Adventure into Hollywood Studios West. I would not be surprised if once Pixar Pier is finished and Marvel Land is complete, they then turn their attention to Grizzly Mountain. I predict a name change in the coming years.

Although, I acknowledge a flaw to this idea, mainly if that is their ultimate plan then Star Wars Land should have been put in DCA and not DLP. But therein lies the half-assed part. So what do I really know?

I prefer to think of DCA as simply a Disney adventure in CA since that's what it's basically become over time. In that way, the name California Adventure works as blank canvas for literally anything Disney would ever want to put in there. As time goes on, no matter how many different IP's are thrown into the park, the name will still work on that basis. Other names seem much more restricting thematically by comparison.

^

I see what you mean, and the name of the park does work on that basis; but at the same time, it's not what was in mind with the initial design and idea of the park. Sure California is known for movie making, and sure, Disney owns quite a few IPs that can be put in the park, but I liked the original of a theme park collage of all the iconic landmarks and hot spots of California.

On another note, Star Wars Land definitely should occupy DCA and not DLP.

It does seem to be getting to the point where DIsney will make any expansion they want fit into any park they want. For example Star Wars Land is going in Disneyland Park in California but the Studios in Florida. Toy Story land is in the Studios in Paris and Florida but it's in the Magic Kingdom in Hong Kong and Shanghai. It all does seem a little bit lazy in some regards, but as long as the quality is high I expect that it'll work out fine for Disney.

It will be interesting when DIsney builds its next brand new park. Will we see them tackle ambitious ideas like EPCOT, Animal KIngdom, and DisneySEA or will they go with these mixed bag "Studios" parks that are basically an empty palette.

Seems very disorganized if you ask me. But for all we know, maybe they strategically put certain attractions in certain parks to get people to visit those parks. Also keep in mind that Disney now owns Fox, so, who knows what new attractions they'll add to DLP or DCA. If anything, their ownership of Fox definitely means no holding back on that Marvel Land in DCA.

At the end of the day, I think people don't care. They just want to get their Disney on when they visit a Disney park, and Disney makes money from that, and that's all that matters.

Edited by Sheep-O-Matic

I wonder if maybe they have a plan to eventually just combine DCA into DLP into a single park. There is plenty of land between DCA and DLP along Harbor Blvd, where the currently buses park, to build another connection between the two parks. From there they could connect to Tomorrowland and the Hollywood Backlot/Marvel Land. Essentially, from this new entrance area one could directly access Main Street, Buena Vista Street, Tomorrowland or Hollywood Backlot/Marvel Land. I understand that Main Street as the entrance is iconic, but it is small and becomes very congested. If Main Street simply became another access point from a main entrance plaza that could work.

It makes sense to me. What do you think?

^^ They could bring back the Viewliner train, and set it up like the train (elevated) between Universal Orlando's two parks.

Enclose the windows, do a "Harry Potter thing" with screens etc. and it turns into a Futuristic Transport between parks.

And you have to have a Park Hopper Pass that's good that day, to use this. Just like Universal Orlando!

Other than that...no, it's probably not/never gonna happen, lol.

2076639136_Viewliner2.jpg.34976177033e822d6acc52caa6bf1397.jpg

Before there was a "Mono-Mono" Monorail.....there was the Viewliner in DL.

I wonder if maybe they have a plan to eventually just combine DCA into DLP into a single park. There is plenty of land between DCA and DLP along Harbor Blvd, where the currently buses park, to build another connection between the two parks. From there they could connect to Tomorrowland and the Hollywood Backlot/Marvel Land. Essentially, from this new entrance area one could directly access Main Street, Buena Vista Street, Tomorrowland or Hollywood Backlot/Marvel Land. I understand that Main Street as the entrance is iconic, but it is small and becomes very congested. If Main Street simply became another access point from a main entrance plaza that could work.

It makes sense to me. What do you think?

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. While I like this idea, I think of the outrageous admission price hike for one day... It'd probably be $200 or more... But if you get all of those attractions in one park.... no lie, I would pay.

But in a business perspective, I see why they'd never combine DLP and DCA.

How exactly would combining into one park be any better than Park Hopper? They already have a combined security area. With Park Hopper, you walk out one gate and right into the other. No effort. There are only two things I could see being different if it were one park: all guests would be forced to pay the Park Hopper price, even if they wanted to spend all day in one park, and...I guess, not having to show your ticket to go to the other park?

This is a supremely stupid idea.

• 2 weeks later...

This is definitely a stretch, but I think this can work. I have one day in LA to do all the theme park things I want. Originally, I planned on only going to Knott's all day Friday 2/16, BUT..

...I didn't realize Disneyland was only a 15 minute Uber away. Nor did I realize DL is open until midnight and DCA is open until 11pm. Knott's is only open until 8pm. With Xcelerator not showing any signs of life (I doubt it will be open in 3 weeks), I'm teasing the idea of getting the rides I want at Knott's (Silver Bullet, GhostRider, Log Ride, Montezuma, a few others) and heading over to Disneyland/DCA.

I spent 4 days in DL/CA in 2008, so I've been on all the rides minus Cars and Guardians, if you're counting that as a brand new experience.

If I was able to get over to DL/CA by 3 or 4pm, would that give me enough time to ride Guardians/Cars and Space Mountain/Indiana Jones?

It's the Friday of a holiday weekend (President's day), so I expect it will be busier than usual but I have no idea how long the lines for those rides on a regular Friday.

Does this seem doable?

Thanks!

It's definitely doable. You might also want to look into getting Maxpass, for $10. It allows you to make Fastpass reservations through the Disneyland app so you don't have to walk all the way to the attraction. For example: As soon as you redeem your current Fastpass at Racers, you can immediately make one for Space Mountain. Also, typically, the park starts to dump as soon as Fireworks end. And just continues to empty till the park closes.

You'll probably be able to ride quote a bit if you stay until the last minute.

It's definitely doable. You might also want to look into getting Maxpass, for $10. It allows you to make Fastpass reservations through the Disneyland app so you don't have to walk all the way to the attraction. For example: As soon as you redeem your current Fastpass at Racers, you can immediately make one for Space Mountain. Also, typically, the park starts to dump as soon as Fireworks end. And just continues to empty till the park closes.

Brilliant, that sounds awesome. The whole fastpass program has changed a bit since I've last stepped on a Disney property, so thanks for letting me know about Maxpass. That's a really good deal for $10.

Excitement growing

Brilliant, that sounds awesome. The whole fastpass program has changed a bit since I've last stepped on a Disney property, so thanks for letting me know about Maxpass. That's a really good deal for $10.

Excitement growing

There have been some slight changes...

Maxpass brought new attractions to the Fastpass System, like Matterhorn and Toy Story Mania. As well, you no longer scan the Fastpass Ticket (if you get one. If you use the app, there is no ticket). The Fastpasses are now tied to your Park Admission ticket. So, when you go to redeem your Fastpass at any attraction, you will either scan the barcode in the App, or the barcode on your ticket (it's the same barcode).

Maxpass ALSO allows you to view and download ALL PHOTOS taken by On ride Cameras and Photopass Cast Members. You either scan your Admission ticket with the Photopass Cast member, or enter the photo number in the Disneyland App and it will pull up! Sometime, if you use Fastpass, this magically happens! This is included in the cost of the Max Pass purchase!

I'd suggest that you download the App, and create a Disney account if you don't already have one, before you go So you can look at everything and get the feel for it. Add in your payment info, so buying tickets with Max Pass is easier (no going to the ticket booth!). It helps streamline everything.

You can buy everything ahead of time, through the app. I suggest you do this at least 24 hours in advance or more just to make sure everything is correct and updated when you go to enter the park.

Through the app, you can select different types of tickets. What you're going to need is the Park Hopper Ticket with Max Pass ($184.00). And, if youre doing this ahead of time, it will all 'Just work' on the day you arrive!

FINALLY, Fantasmic (new version) and World of Color both use Fastpass to see the shows in any area that is worth it. These are currently not available in Maxpass, so just go to the area on the maps to get the ticket.

Side Note: The VOID - Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire just opened at Downtown Disney and its a ton of fun. Its a fully immersive VR experience, and takes about 30-ish minutes. I loved it, and can't wait to experience it again! Here is the TPR Review from Robb from the Florida one: Clicky They are the exact same. If you find that you might have time, I highly suggest you give this a try!

Excitement growing

There have been some slight changes...

Maxpass brought new attractions to the Fastpass System, like Matterhorn and Toy Story Mania. As well, you no longer scan the Fastpass Ticket (if you get one. If you use the app, there is no ticket). The Fastpasses are now tied to your Park Admission ticket. So, when you go to redeem your Fastpass at any attraction, you will either scan the barcode in the App, or the barcode on your ticket (it's the same barcode).

Maxpass ALSO allows you to view and download ALL PHOTOS taken by On ride Cameras and Photopass Cast Members. You either scan your Admission ticket with the Photopass Cast member, or enter the photo number in the Disneyland App and it will pull up! Sometime, if you use Fastpass, this magically happens! This is included in the cost of the Max Pass purchase!

I'd suggest that you download the App, and create a Disney account if you don't already have one, before you go So you can look at everything and get the feel for it. Add in your payment info, so buying tickets with Max Pass is easier (no going to the ticket booth!). It helps streamline everything.

You can buy everything ahead of time, through the app. I suggest you do this at least 24 hours in advance or more just to make sure everything is correct and updated when you go to enter the park.

Through the app, you can select different types of tickets. What you're going to need is the Park Hopper Ticket with Max Pass ($184.00). And, if youre doing this ahead of time, it will all 'Just work' on the day you arrive!

FINALLY, Fantasmic (new version) and World of Color both use Fastpass to see the shows in any area that is worth it. These are currently not available in Maxpass, so just go to the area on the maps to get the ticket.

Side Note: The VOID - Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire just opened at Downtown Disney and its a ton of fun. Its a fully immersive VR experience, and takes about 30-ish minutes. I loved it, and can't wait to experience it again! Here is the TPR Review from Robb from the Florida one: Clicky They are the exact same. If you find that you might have time, I highly suggest you give this a try!

Right, as I get closer to the date I'll download the app to be comfortable with it because I want to take advantage of the time I'll have at the parks (assuming it's 3 or 4pm to close). All the details about it make sense for a better experience. I don't know how this will work with my ticket since I'll be getting it through a media vendor, not actually purchasing one - but when I get the two I'll be able to figure it out and troubleshoot if I have any issues!

I appreciate the suggestions but I don't believe I'll have time to go to shows or the Star Wars VR; I've seen the shows in the past and I'm not much of a theme park 'show' guy Star Wars looks cool but I'm not a big Star Wars guy and it's just not in the cards this time around.

With only half a day I'll be trying to hit up all of my favorite attractions and it will be a bonus if I'm able to get re-rides or leisurely walk from ride to ride