TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^^ I myself, am totally happy with everything both resorts and their parks are getting.

Overwhelmed to say the least, lol! An embarrassment of Disney riches, I'd say. I am so

looking forward to heading back down to Disneyland when "all of the above" is finished

and open for everyone's enjoyment. Late 2019 for my (first) return visit, I hope.

IMG_2356.JPG.23293d242900116b4bff5727c86a1037.JPG

Looking forward to re-meetin' up with Mater, when I get back to DCA. (taken Sept.15/16)

^ Oh, well, I do still want to re-connect with The Mate.....r.

IMG_2258.JPG.2871a1723cbe3311e026cee2ae00f213.JPG

Now next time, do I go for the "Year Ears" again? Or something more..... villanousssss? (o;

With rides like Little Mermaid, Mickey's Fun Wheel and Goofy's Sky School completed within the last 10 years, I'm a bit surprised to see this area targeted for another makeover.

The part of Paradise Pier from Midway Mania past Maliboomer to the Garden Grill I totally understand since that area was largely untouched except in a couple key areas (like removing that hideous clown). California Screamin' always has been way under-themed for a Disney coaster. I'd like to see Pixar bring new story and new life to a huge coaster like that. The rest though is a little confusing how/why it's apparently viewed as in need of a whole re-theme.

Are we really going be saying RIP to the big Paradise Pier sign up on Screamin', the huge Mickey on Mickey's Fun Wheel, Goofy's Sky School, Silly Symphony Swings? How is Little Mermaid going to work in a Pixar-themed area? It's going to be interesting to see just how Disney moves forward with this.

I keep reading everyone saying WDW is getting great new stuff and DLR is getting a crappy overlay to one of the last areas of DCA that "celebrates California" like the park was intended to do. But since the day DCA opened everyone complained that the California theme was a terrible thematic choice. Now Disney is destroying that? Isn't that what everyone wanted? Also, Paradise Pier has always been a hodgepodge of half-ass. It was never beautifully themed, it's rides don't follow a coherent story or thematic idea, and the remodel only fixed a few things and left other stuff painfully more obvious in it's cheapness. A Pixar overhaul would give everything a story, a reason, and a bit more emotional weight (people love Pixar). If it's the lack of California thing people hate, Pixar is California based up in Emeryville. Furthermore this overhaul opens the possibility of getting some wasted space (Maliboomer) finally used for something good.

THANK...YOU!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's a little hypocritical for Disney fanboys to complain about how DCA isn't a California-themed park or how they want the old DCA 1.0 back...even though that was exactly what they hated about it in the first place! As for the new stuff coming to DLR, I always like me some new fireworks at Disneyland, and it looks like it will utilize the projection mapping technology left over from Disneyland Forever. Plus, Paint the Night is coming back which is great.

As for Pixar Pier, I'm waiting on more concept art before passing judgment. Either way, these next few years at DLR should be a fairly interesting one!

The other thing weird with redoing Paradise Pier as Pixar Pier is that the park has two full lands to Pixar properties nearby. Anything that adds extra theming is something I'm on board with since that back area didn't feel fully like a Disney park.

I think some might be mis-understand that issues here with the original concept of DCA.

Many people, including myself, did not like the original concept because it was trying to be relevant, hip, and edgy. Which we all know was not a good choice. Changing the park to reflect different eras of California's past was a great idea and it fixed that areas where it was actually implemented.

I was so happy when they made all these changes; they started to fix the park! It had a clear direction and made sense. They removed Condor Flats and expanded the Mountain region. Cars Land now represented the Desert. A nice Sea side Pier, a Wharf, and Hollywood. There was more work to be done, yes, but it seems to be headed in a great direction.

Now, I didn't like what they announced at D23 with Pixar Pier. I don't care if they build more Pixar Rides in the area. But I really love the 1920's Seaside Pier vibe they were going for. BUT, it was only one piece of concept art, which is not to be relied upon. If they can infuse the area with Pixar, and not make it look like a Toy Story Land then I think it will be fine.

But some things still cause issues, like the Little Mermaid, the Face on Mickey's Fun Wheel which has become the park Icon (kinda). We'll have to see what they have planned. I light infusion would be cool, use Pixar characters instead of the Classic Disney ones, and keep the 1920's pier feel.

But, I hope its not this....

412367078_IMG_2276_thumb1.jpg.5c2afd9dd6aee2d720f8cf618d9c9335.jpg

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

Pixar Pier as a seasonal overlay seems half assed. Pixar Pier as a complete land makes it obvious the new direction of the park is "Disney Studios West" and that's fine. It's the current weird mesh of "era's of California" with "load up on all the IP's that don't fit into Disneyland" that make it seem like the park still has its original problem: it doesn't know what it wants to be. It just looks a lot nicer now since they didn't take every shortcut imaginable like they did the first time around.

Ultimately I suspect they're going all in on the "IP's that don't fit into Disney" route and the California theme will be phased out. Which is fine by me if they maintain the quality they brought with Carsland.

Edited by Jew

Seems pretty simple to use. If this had been around last fall, I would totally have used it. $10 per person per day is a steal. Maybe that's coloured by my being from the Midwest, where a Disneyland trip is a once in a lifetime thing for most people, but I really feel like people will jump on the opportunity to make the most of their trip in this way.

I was so happy when they made all these changes; they started to fix the park! It had a clear direction and made sense. They removed Condor Flats and expanded the Mountain region. Cars Land now represented the Desert. A nice Sea side Pier, a Wharf, and Hollywood. There was more work to be done, yes, but it seems to be headed in a great direction.

I agree with this and that's what my expectation(hope) of what Pixar Pier is. It still, at it's core, is the seaside park theme but infused with Pixar to be more relevant to Disney rather than just a replica of something from the past. Cars Land would be the extreme of this idea where as BVS is the much more subtle version. Both lands are replica's of a place but infused with Disney. By the look of the one piece of artwork, it maintains that 1920 Seaside Park look, just with Pixar. TSMM and Mermaid are both mostly themed to the Pier theme with the infusion of some Disney, I don't see why they wouldn't follow that trend with everything else.

Also, I may be looking wayyyyy to much into this, but since Play Parade is headed to DL, and DCA remains at 1 parade, that allows theme to get rid of the parade warehouse behind Screamin's lift that they built for Electrical Parade and add another dark ride or the Pixar Pals Theater you see in the artwork. I would think if that wasn't the plan they would just keep Play Parade and add Paint The Night while leaving MSEP and Soundsational at DL.

No clue what future plans are, but a new attraction was hinted at during D23 very briefly in the context of Pixar Pier. Now, its 100% not clear if that meant ride overlays, or an actual new ride.

Also, with this being done by 2018, if there is a new ride, I do not think that will be open by then.

The one thing that would make me really love the Max Pass is to be able to do FP reservations before arriving in the park. As it is now, it will save some walking when park hopping, which is nice.

With the Pier makeover, I would be more enthused for it, if it meant a new flat ride. Just something to increase the overall capacity. The capacity of the park remains essentially the same until 2019. Maybe Paint The Night can peel off some of the Fantasmic crowd?

Not sure they can get ride of the warehouse, given that Paint The Night is coming over.

Quick question for those in the know...

One of the big rumors at D23 was that since they didn't announce details of the expanded Marvel land in DCA (and also the GotG attraction at Epcot) that they were saving the big details for Comic Con the following week. Well... since Comic Con has come and gone I'm guessing it didn't happen? Any ideas on when we'll get more details, esp. on the Marvel attractions coming to DCA - or do we have to wait until D23 2019

Quick question for those in the know...

One of the big rumors at D23 was that since they didn't announce details of the expanded Marvel land in DCA (and also the GotG attraction at Epcot) that they were saving the big details for Comic Con the following week. Well... since Comic Con has come and gone I'm guessing it didn't happen? Any ideas on when we'll get more details, esp. on the Marvel attractions coming to DCA - or do we have to wait until D23 2019

I'm guessing we'll get some artwork next year around the time Avengers: Infinity War comes out. If SWL is open 2019, it would make sense to go into detail with Marvel at the 2019 expo. Also, since Avengers is a two-part movie concluding in 2019 it would be a great year to announce the upcoming new Avengers titles with the new land. Disney has so much going on, not everything needs to be expo exclusive & Comic-Con could cover Marvel instead.

But 2018 is a long time of construction since GotG with no artwork, so I think they'lll drop an early sketch of the land sometime soon like they did with SWL. Especially once they start shutting down the rumored areas to go. On a side note, a new season of GotG is being based on the Collector's Tower at DCA so maybe they'll announce the rest of the land once it airs. There's no way marketing isn't going to cross advertise.

....I mean, why tease something for 2+ years.

Why not? With so much construction going on till then, leaving out some

future announcements for only a couple of years, is no big deal. To me, anyway.

Look at Tokyo Disney Resort. Their D23 is every three years with the next one

coming up in 2018. Then they have to wait for the next one, in.... 2021!

I bet everybody over here would be in "total agony" during that long time period between cons.

http://tdrexplorer.com/d23-expo-japan-2018/ Link from http://www.tdexplorer.com

EDIT: I do realize that Tokyo Disney is offering much fewer new attractions and such in the future,

for both of it's parks. But still. Three years between cons, is a long long time.

To me, it doesn't make any sense at all to steal the thunder from Star Wars at DLR. I wouldn't be surprised if they do teases/small reveals for the next few years and don't do a full reveal until 2020. I would imagine their marketing efforts will be 100% star wars based in 2019.

To me, it doesn't make any sense at all to steal the thunder from Star Wars at DLR. I wouldn't be surprised if they do teases/small reveals for the next few years and don't do a full reveal until 2020. I would imagine their marketing efforts will be 100% star wars based in 2019.

Unless they can pull this stuff off by 2018, then have SWL launch in 2019...

Actually, I think you're right Joey. But, I do think they will start construction before Galaxy's Edge opens. Even if they don't do a full announcement until after that. Because whole lands take some time to build.