Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Pg. 835 - New for 2017 - Flat Ride & Slides
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby PCW_Nut » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:25 pm

So...When are the "Take the Tunnel" Leviathan Bash shirts being made? ;)

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Dom497 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Just in case some of you wanted to know, if you are travelling at 148 km/h and you are going through a 100 foot tunnel, you will be inside it for only 0.74 seconds....this is why I see this addition pointless.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby PCW_Nut » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:50 pm

See for me it's kind of the photo nerd in me that doesn't like the idea of the tunnel. Having walked all around the layout many times during the off season, I was always impressed just how close to the drop you can get. Also, I feel it takes away a little impact of the appearance of the drop.

At the end of the day though, it's a cosmetic issue and will not really have an impact on the ride. I am sure from 306' up this will be incredible to stare down at. This will have zero impact on how this baby rides so that's all that matters.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:05 pm

Maybe there was a bit of a "gray-out" at the bottom of the drop like on MF and I305, so they're putting a tunnel there so they don't hear the GP's complaints on "how it isn't safe". :lol:

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby Schotcher » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Now that will be one LOUD tunnel.

Racing for the sky

Postby coasterlover420 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Skycoastin Steve wrote:^^It'll be interesting to see how this affects the ride experience. And have they had this planned from the beginning?

Nobody's ridden it yet, so it shouldn't really change anyone's experience. :p
~Signature~

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:25 pm

When they were first building this, I thought it would be cool if they made the tunnel look like you were plunging into a dragon's mouth that was rising out of bloody water.

After crashing back down to Earth and realizing that this was Cedar Fair, I think I'm gonna go with my gut instinct here and say the tunnel will just be an unpainted piece of drainage half-pipe like on Magnum and MF....perhaps surrounded by water outside of the culvert (if we're lucky).

Maybe they'll even run strobe lights in it for a season or three until they quit working? ;)
Last edited by Philrad71 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:26 pm.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:25 pm

Intimidator305 wrote:Maybe there was a bit of a "gray-out" at the bottom of the drop like on MF and I305, so they're putting a tunnel there so they don't hear the GP's complaints on "how it isn't safe".:

Wouldn't make a difference IMO, I know when I get a grey-out I see spots before my eyes, even if I'm inside a tunnel.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby asimowalk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Other than it possibly being ugly, I think it will only add to the experience if they add effects to it.

V Stellaclose: I was thinking the same thing too, but a large fence would be sufficient enough. There are other coasters in the park where guests can walk up close to a coaster's track (like Vortex and Skyrider).
Last edited by asimowalk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:37 pm.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby stellaclose » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:33 pm

I don't think that anyone has posted this idea yet, but I think the real reason there is a tunnel is primarily due to safety concerns. As far as I'm aware, the layout of this coaster is unique in that the first drop goes outside the park boundary. It's the only coaster that I know of that the general public could get very close to the first drop (just a few metres away). It's not in an "out of bounds" area like most coasters first drops and layouts - there isn't really a backstage area.

By putting a tunnel at the first drop the chance of anyone throwing anything at the coaster as it comes down the drop, and thereby injuring any riders, is avoided. I could be wrong but its just my reasoning behind the late addition of a tunnel so close to opening - Perhaps the safety inspectors made them do it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!