TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

It's not a MCBR, it's a second dive. All B&M dive elements include braking, a hold brake on the first, and if a second, to adjust their speed substantially not just trim it (resulting in a drop sort of comparable to with the old pre-drops). Use of the brake as a block is secondary -- in this case, it's so close to the end it may not be a block at all. So it's not mid-course nor the usual MCBR in primary function. Basically they've put in the second dive right at the end, followed only by another airtime pop and a victory helix over guest paths. This avoids the situation with Griffon where it feels a lot like the coaster just does everything twice. Compare it to a coaster with a great drop, some inversions, and an airtime section at the end (sounds like RMC).

If I went, I'd have to reride both it and Vortex until they ran together like in the vid! That picture of Vortex looks like it could touch the water and murder some ducks!

Edited by bill_s

Filed under the "What really grinds my gears" section: There's plenty of legitimate complaints brought up by coaster enthusiasts. The problem is that there's tons of really stupid ones too. 20 years ago, B&M built Oblivion, a ride that is basically less than the post-block on Yukon Striker. People went wild. People actually still pretend even now that Oblivion is kinda good. Now they build Yukon Striker, and all I hear about is the how much some 19 year old twinks don't like the way the post-block looks. That's why we get branded as entitled man children and none of the real issues are addressable or discussable.

Filed under the "What really grinds my gears" section: There's plenty of legitimate complaints brought up by coaster enthusiasts. The problem is that there's tons of really stupid ones too. 20 years ago, B&M built Oblivion, a ride that is basically less than the post-block on Yukon Striker. People went wild. People actually still pretend even now that Oblivion is kinda good. Now they build Yukon Striker, and all I hear about is the how much some 19 year old twinks don't like the way the post-block looks. That's why we get branded as entitled man children and none of the real issues are addressable or discussable.

well said!

Oh, a dive coaster that doesn't almost instantly scrub off all its speed, AND has an actual layout that does stuff.

Well, took 20 years and lots of edging closer but they finally figured out how to make a good dive coaster

AKA...do stuff besides the drop and don't kill all the speed off

Pretty much.

Couldn't agree more, I have started considering myself a hobbyist, bc well, I generally do just a few parks a year (this one is shaping up to be a record) but mostly I don't really wanna be associated with the community at large. And people seem to just know the surface level stuff. I have explained from time to time some of the fierce debates Ive seen over what a beam on a truck could mean, over types of footers and what is a hybrid and etc just kinda shook her head and well, I had to agree

That said, I actually did find Sheikra pretty awesome, Valravyn left me a tad lackluster idk why. But really neither is a bad ride, my only beef ever was all the speed is killed pretty off fast, and yeah whatever is post block isn't gunna be super fun cause its kind of slow. This one seems to do stuff actually. I doubt I'll get to Canada any time but if so Id like to check this out

It's great that Cedar Fair keeps throwing money into my home park. Looking forward to riding Yukon Striker next year.

Winterfest looks like a great event as well. Ice skating in the frozen fountains should be fantastic!

Just figured it could be worth mentioning - the Valravn crew is already having fun with this new coaster announcement. Waiting in line for the mere 15 minutes it took to get on today (than you rain showers and schools back in session!) they referenced Yukon Striker at least every other train. If anything they’re treating it as a wonderful addition to the family instead of a cheap gimmick to steal the records from the flagship park. It was well appreciated and hey, what’s a little free advertising for the new tallest fastest longest dive coaster within the same chain?

“You are about to ride the tallest, fastest, longest, craziest dive coaster on the planet - well. At least it will be until next year”

“Welcome aboard the big brother to the Yukon Striker”

“The original Cedar Fair Dive Machine”

The list can go in and on. Very well done and much appreciated from this coaster fan!

“You are about to ride the tallest, fastest, longest, craziest dive coaster on the planet - well. At least it will be until next year”

The list can go in and on. Very well done and much appreciated from this coaster fan!

Great story, and fun to hear.

I don't think there is nearly as much of a "rivalry" between CP and CW as is made out to be. In fact a lot of the people we interact with at parks in North America (and the UK) are just theme park enthusiasts who love parks and rides in general and want to share in the fun(what a concept eh!).

I was wearing my Iron Rattler t-shirt at the park on Wednesday which was met with the "how was it, we hope to go there soon, have you been on this ride? " type comments. There was none of the "protective" vibe that some people want to project about the home park, or other parks in general.

Well, if you're gonna build a dive-coaster, that's the way to do it. Ride looks amazing and I can't wait to see it go up.

The dive into Vortex looks insane.

The block and it's following elements is too small to really seem like a part of the ride... It's sort of like the post splashdown section on Sheikra... At that point the ride is over and the curve basically allows you to breathe out and digest the experience.

That said,

MCBR = Meandering Capacity Boosting Run

I am super happy with the new dive coaster coming to Canada's wonderland, what more can you ask for really. Winterfest is a nice bonus as well

For me it's nice to see that Skyriders spot is finally going to be filled again, and the color's remind me of it's paint scheme as well. It also made me want to remember it got a second life as well at a park that enjoys it as much as I did. [youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Next up, maybe we can sell Marineland Timewarp! Or maybe La Ronde

Just figured it could be worth mentioning - the Valravn crew is already having fun with this new coaster announcement. Waiting in line for the mere 15 minutes it took to get on today (than you rain showers and schools back in session!) they referenced Yukon Striker at least every other train. If anything they’re treating it as a wonderful addition to the family instead of a cheap gimmick to steal the records from the flagship park. It was well appreciated and hey, what’s a little free advertising for the new tallest fastest longest dive coaster within the same chain?

That is really cool...CP ride op's are the best.

I am super happy with the new dive coaster coming to Canada's wonderland, what more can you ask for really. Winterfest is a nice bonus as well

For me it's nice to see that Skyriders spot is finally going to be filled again, and the color's remind me of it's paint scheme as well. It also made me want to remember it got a second life as well at a park that enjoys it as much as I did. [youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Next up, maybe we can sell Marineland Timewarp! Or maybe La Ronde

Skyrider was a really underrated ride. One of my favourites - and looking at its layout compared to YS it is shocking how much punch it had in such a compact space. I to wish we got rid of Timewarp instead.

While yes there are worse coasters at the park this is the way I see it.

TOGO doesn't exist anymore and it would be a very high cost for extra parts if it ever went down.

People don't enjoy standups for the most part.

The land by the water, mountain and forest is a lot more strategic than pretty much everywhere else in the park.

Plus if you took out TW then it would be a very small coaster unless you included FD and I bet the gp would be freaking out they're taking two coasters out in the same year.

Edited by Sledgehammer_77

While yes there are worse coasters at the park this is the way I see it.

TOGO doesn't exist anymore and it would be a very high cost for extra parts if it ever went down.

People don't enjoy standups for the most part.

The land by the water, mountain and forest is a lot more strategic than pretty much everywhere else in the park.

Plus if you took out TW then it would be a very small coaster unless you included FD and I bet the go would be freaking out they're taking two coasters out in the same year.

I get the anti-TOGO arguments but that doesn't mix with the fact that a park in Italy is happily enjoying the ride or that dozens of Togo coasters remain in Japan. Other companies make replacement parts. The stand-up design was unique, the little bunny hops at the end awesome, and the trick track was fun. It's a shame to lose it. Especially years before they started building YS.

As for the space around TW - there are lots of options. Take some of FD's queue, go into the parking lot they like did for the Mission Impossible stunt-show, take some of the land around Kingswood towards the back-half of Behemoth, or even finally replace Kingswood. Wonderland has proven, especially in recent years with B&M coasters that they can be really creative in making the coasters go around existing rides. TW's land is really only needed for the station, queue and start-up of the lift. Hopefully that is the plan for the next big coaster.