TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe (MOA) Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I noticed some construction going on over the arcade, but it sounds like this has been going on for awhile. Hopefully they're getting rid of the arcade and replacing it with a new roller coaster, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just added in a food court.

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed some construction going on over the arcade, but it sounds like this has been going on for awhile. Hopefully they're getting rid of the arcade and replacing it with a new roller coaster, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just added in a food court.

Went to the mall today, arcade is likely there to stay, no update on the construction above it.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a return visit to Minneapolis over the holiday weekend so of course that means I need to swing through Nick Universe on the way to the airport!

For MLK Monday it was more crowded than my first visit over Labor Day weekend.

Waited about 15 for Spongebob, arguably the best coaster there. Great drop, smooth, and the slow approach towards the ceiling doesn't get old!

Log Chute - we waited about 45 minutes since nearly every log had only 2 people in it, but that's okay. It's the longest ride in the park and also the best ride in the park. I got to sit in the front on this go around and I got to experience how steep the first drop is! Holy crap hanging over the top was more thrilling than Valravn I love this flume and thankfully I didn't get too wet before heading to the airport.

Oh - they dressed up the giant with a Vikings jersey! Fitting for the incredible win on Sunday.

Where else in the Midwest in winter can you go on quality rides like these? MoA is the spot.

20180115_154345.thumb.jpg.2658c844374a9a0a8281d7aa1b7056a5.jpg

Very underrated flume

20180115_153807.thumb.jpg.56de01a4fbeabc48b7b808e41e7810e1.jpg

You can get some Intamin hotness here

20180115_153657.thumb.jpg.b763dc3648fbcecff0643c2d69d4396a.jpg

Even Odd Coaster was sporting a 15-20 minute wait

20180115_151357.thumb.jpg.5b4df5a7905923ec6d50b4f443ba50fe.jpg

Show your best CaveBob face for the camera!

20180115_150224.thumb.jpg.ad54e17f73f002317320a7eab54e1a6c.jpg

Your source for some airtime in January

20180113_144503.thumb.jpg.1e9b396f3eb73e45ab32e855b1d66701.jpg

Minneahaha Falls - here's what it looks like at -10*F

The Log Chute is still awesome--especially with all the now incredibly dated and cheesy animatronics and the fact that the Pepsi Ripsaw (better than its current name of Pepsi Orange Streak) goes through it! It's also one of the precious few original pieces of themeing that hasn't been completely torn out yet by the rebrandings, though the original name has been shortened from Paul Bunyan's Log Chute.

Besides, you can ride a log flume in Minnesnowta in the Winter!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a borderline stupid question that's only being asked because I'm trying to be optimistic, lol.

The park's ride maintenance schedule lists Pepsi Orange Streak as "Closed May 14 – May 28" and "Closed May 29 – Jun 8". Obviously this makes no sense unless their CMS doesn't allow them to enter such a wide range of dates since you would think they would just say "May 14th to June 8th". Any chance this is a typo? Does this "Maintenance schedule subject to change without notice" list "change without notice" all that frequently?

We just booked a flight out there knowing the ride was probably closed in advance so if it's closed that's really fine. I booked it anyway since it's a family coaster and the pros of that weekend outweighed the cons (Great flight deals and the fact that the Twins are home and we really want to see Target Field).

Basically the only requirements for me on this trip were that the flume was open, the Twins were home and Valleyfair was open for the year so either way I'm happy but I had to ask.

I'm thinking it might be a typo as it is the only ride on the scheduled maintenance calendar to have multiple times on it (with 3). But I would recommend messaging the park to be sure.

The only times I know of when the park didn't follow the scheduled maintenance calendar were when something catastrophic happened to the ride or a similar attraction (ie the Ohio State Fair incident).

Hopefully it's open for your visit. It's a fun little coaster that gives a great "tour' of the park and the inner workings of the log flume.

And if you really want to see Target Field, they do offer backstage tours.

Thanks!

I don't need to bother the park, I'm fine with it either way but it would be cool if it's open. I agree that it sort of looks like one of those might be a typo, especially since it's down right now for refurb so they may have just updated it's entry.

We're flying in on Saturday May 19th and flying out on Monday May 21st. Our flight lands at like 7am on Saturday (yeah, it's a little early... lol), so we figure we'll hit the mall that day and the Twins game at 6. Then hit Valleyfair the next day. Obviously we can switch the days around for weather too. We also have most of the day on Monday since we don't fly out until like 6pm and I'm one step ahead of you on the Target Field tour. That seems like a great day for it (and it's always nice to have another backup day if we miss something at Valleyfair or MOA or if the weather is an issue on the other days).

Any suggestions for other non-baseball / theme park related things in Minneapolis?

Also, I ALWAYS rent a car but it seems sort of stupid in Minneapolis since everything we want to visit and the airport is on the light rail line except for Valleyfair. Does anyone have any experience with taking an Uber to the park? I've still never used Uber but this seems like the time to do it.

Thanks!

I don't need to bother the park, I'm fine with it either way but it would be cool if it's open. I agree that it sort of looks like one of those might be a typo, especially since it's down right now for refurb so they may have just updated it's entry.

We're flying in on Saturday May 19th and flying out on Monday May 21st. Our flight lands at like 7am on Saturday (yeah, it's a little early... lol), so we figure we'll hit the mall that day and the Twins game at 6. Then hit Valleyfair the next day. Obviously we can switch the days around for weather too. We also have most of the day on Monday since we don't fly out until like 6pm and I'm one step ahead of you on the Target Field tour. That seems like a great day for it (and it's always nice to have another backup day if we miss something at Valleyfair or MOA or if the weather is an issue on the other days).

Any suggestions for other non-baseball / theme park related things in Minneapolis?

Also, I ALWAYS rent a car but it seems sort of stupid in Minneapolis since everything we want to visit and the airport is on the light rail line except for Valleyfair. Does anyone have any experience with taking an Uber to the park? I've still never used Uber but this seems like the time to do it.

Here's a shameless plug to my trip report that highlights other things to do in Minnea.

Amazing burgers:

http://redcowmn.com/minneapolis-uptown/

Uptown is definitely the place to bar hop with lots of cool dive bars and new age bars like Up Down (arcade bar). http://www.updownmpls.com/

Can Can Wonderland - make reservations if you want to play mini golf. We waited about an hour the first time (just play games/get boozy milkshakes while you wait), but on my last visit the wait time was 3.5 hours. I'm not kidding.

https://www.cancanwonderland.com/

Bike around using the stations across the city. It's pretty flat for the most part and there are bike lanes everywhere! It's easy to ride to a brewery, across the Mississippi river, to the sculpture park, or Lake of the Isles.

PM me for any specific questions! It's a fantastic city.

I haven't done it at Valleyfair but I've used Uber for several other parks and all the drivers knew where to drop off and pick up. Worst case scenario if they can't find you they will call you to figure out where you are, which I've had happen before using their service. When you first sign up there's usually a promo for a large discount./first free ride too.

I almost always rent a car too but Uber is perfect for the food and drink festivals in Florida and Williamsburg lol

Surly Brewing is worth a look while in town... SURLY

Check out a Jucy Lucy while in town too.... It's a local, unique take on cheeseburgers...

I'm thinking you may want to make a stop here.

lol, thanks for the tips guys. How the hell did I not know they had a Margaritaville at the Mall of America?