Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1011: Universal Orlando Opens Cabana Bay!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Oh my cherries!

Postby gotdane » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:21 am

The area is really in a sad state right now. And like hydra brought up, it will be VERY interesting to see how they cover up the show building from the Jurrasic Park area. It was all very much in the open when I was there a couple weeks ago.

Hopefully they're replacing the former beautiful area with a better looking area. I'm a fan of the Harry Potter books and movies and am looking forward to this, but it was kind of depressing to see what used to be a beautiful original land all torn up.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:56 am

hipbrianhop wrote:I can't wait to see more of this. I hope the theming will beat all other themings in other parks.
It's a bit sad though that the nice entrance of Dueling Dragons had to go.
But about the construction, isn't the building below not Hagrids Hut? I'm very confused :lmao:

The circled item is not a building, but a smaller support or footer, from what I believe was a former structure within the demolished area around the Enchanted Oak Tavern. Hagrid's Hut has yet to be built within visible sight, so there isn't anything to look for just yet. Much of the visible work is taking place near the former entrance of Dueling Dragons. The new entrance itself is covered heavily in trees and greenery to help detract attention from the ongoing demolition and construction work.

I've got some photos to post in addition to the ones Brian posted which should expand on what has been shown so far. Those should be up very soon!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:04 pm

^A large number of supports are lying in the vacant lot along Turkey Lake Road where the new Universal hotels are supposidly to be built (eventually). The supports themselves continue to be shipped in during the morning where the pile they have been lined in has continued to grow for the last few weeks.

At this time, the only information regarding the opening of the attraction is an estimated time of Spring 2009. Nothing more has been released at this time, and I doubt anything will until track work has begun.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Flight of James: Ride of Steel the Revenge

Postby jamesdillaman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:30 pm

^ I sense some sarcasm in that post that wasn't picked up on...

-James Dillaman

Open Up Happiness

Photo Update 10/29/08

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:15 pm

^There was no sarcasm to be picked up on. What I posted was straightforward with no hidden meaning. Even after reading through my entire post several times I have seen no comments that I made that could have been interpreted as sarcastic...

It is time for another photo update! These photos were taken on September 29th, 2008 (as were Brian's photos, as he was at the parks with me).
IMGP0238.JPG
The "Harry Potter box" is a shed-like structure, similar to the enclosure of The Dark Knight coaster at Six Flags Great Adventure--just much bigger.
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0239.JPG
From what is visible, not much work has been done to the interior of the building.
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0253.JPG
From any side that you look, the future ride's structure is gigantic.
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0257.JPG
Jurassic Park has become a buffer zone for guests searching for Dueling Dragons as well as the entrance to the new bridge.
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0258.JPG
Dueling Dragons' new entrance path is pretty unique because it starts inside of Jurassic Park. Plus, it's sign is the former sign for The Flying Unicorn.
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0259.JPG
It looks like the coaster has been sitting untouched for a while...
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0262.JPG
Patience... The opening will come.
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0263.JPG
The coaster itself hasn't been altered in any way since the start of construction aside from the removal of all previous theming surrounding it.
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0264.JPG
Another new building?
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0277.JPG
Not as big as the "Potter box" but still significant considering how flat the terrain is right now.
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0278.JPG
Some building cover work has begun...
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0280.JPG
Lots of dirt, and not much more.
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0281.JPG
The former Enchanted Oak Tavern and Dueling Dragons entry plaza has been completely ripped apart with little left to represent what once was.
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0284.JPG
Oddly enough, this structure has been saved.
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0289.JPG
The entrance to Jurassic Park is pretty narrow, especially with the addition of the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo systems to the right.
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0291.JPG
Get them while they still are brand-free!
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0297.JPG
Though a little out of place, the view of the construction has built up quite a nice audience...
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0298.JPG
Another portion of the Enchanted Oak Tavern has been roughly retained for future use.
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0305.JPG
Dueling Dragons comes very close to the construction site but is still photogenic, regardless of the debris surrounding it.
Viewed 3115 times
IMGP0307.JPG
The invasion begins. 2010.
Viewed 3115 times

Thai Hedrick

Postby CTU Agent » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Thanks for the updates Adam and Bryan. I'm really interested to see how they are going to theme the exterior of the ride building, assuming they do. Jurassic Park has always been my favorite island because it feels so immersive. I feel that I have escaped and really am on Isla Sorna (or is it Isla Nubla, or a whole other island?) With the ginormous Harry Potter building, that effect is gone. But once they theme it, I'm sure it will be better. I found it funny how walking on the bridge there is still the booming JP theme song, and then halfway through it completely disappears. I can't wait for construction to be over because it feels kind of depressing right now. But I know the end will justified the means!

I'm a hammerhead shark!

Postby Jumboshrmp » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:19 pm

Those Dueling Dragons shirts are awesome!

Why couldn't they have those last year? I love coaster shirts that actually show the coaster itself, and mega bonus points if it's done right, like these are. (A good example of bad ride artwork is Sheikra's vekoma/arrow style track on the shirts.)

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby AlexG8462 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:44 pm

Does anyone know if the Talking Fountain in front of Sinbad is still there or if it'll be torn down?

Thai Hedrick

Postby CTU Agent » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:55 pm

It was there this past weekend. I assume Sinbad is not being affected so it will be one of the few things still at the Lost Continent.

It's hot outside, and I have a headache

Postby SLUSHIE » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:38 am

I always thought it was dumb that they built the park with really no room for expansion... other than... well. This.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!