Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1409: Universal Orlando’s Cinematic Celebration announced
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Re: Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

Postby Chiselphane » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:58 pm

We went to the park this past Monday (2/5) and it was more crowded than I expected but not enough to really ruin the day. One thing that quickly stood out to me though is the wait time estimators at the ride entrances were much less accurate than they've been for me in the past. We had numerous instances of a 20 min wait ending up being a walk on and on others, that 20 min wait being over twice that amount. Just thought it was a little strange, every other time I've been to the park they've been pretty spot on for time.

The Jurassic Park river ride was closed off which was a minor disappointment, I absolutely love the T-Rex animatronic. Also it felt like they've eased up a bit on how strict they were as to bringing stuff on the rides, that may just be luck though but we didn't use the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo nearly as much as previously and that had no impact on riding.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:21 pm

Chiselphane wrote:We went to the park this past Monday (2/5) and it was more crowded than I expected but not enough to really ruin the day. One thing that quickly stood out to me though is the wait time estimators at the ride entrances were much less accurate than they've been for me in the past. We had numerous instances of a 20 min wait ending up being a walk on and on others, that 20 min wait being over twice that amount.

Two things that immediately came to mind reading this comment:

1. Remember that they are time "estimators" and while I agree it is annoying when a wait time is longer than posted, but please remember that sometimes things happen that are outside of operations control. Ride breakdowns, even partial that are transparent to those waiting in line, or other issues like higher than normal volume of disabled guests needing extra time, etc. Not excusing that, but just trying to play devil's advocate here.

2. Am I reading this correctly that it sounds like you are complaining that a wait time was less than posted??? I'm sorry, but I don't feel that is something deserving to be called out on. It could very well be that moments after you walked into the queue it changed from 20 to 5 minutes. Or also remember a lot of times the posted wait also includes potential breakdowns which also could be longer than the estimate.

Again, just quoting your own post, these are "time estimators" so if you ended up waiting longer for one ride, but shorter for another, why are you complaining if it is all balancing out???

--Robb

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Chiselphane » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:51 pm

I'm sorry if it came off as a complaint, it was just meant as an observation, especially since it seemed so different compared to my previous visits. We certainly weren't complaining about walking on to the Hulk on a busy park day! Actually this was one of the better times I've had at any park that's busy, normally big crowds will put me right off. A large part of that was it was the first visit for most of my family, we took my mom there for a 70th birthday gift and she was so happy! Still rides coasters too, the on-board video on Rip Ride Rockit had us nearly in tears laughing.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Lintemuthstudios » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:09 am

What do you guys think about the new SNW (Mushroom kingdom) potentially going to a 3rd park, instead of USF, as previously rumored?

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:16 pm

I think if it does I would LMAO at how some of the universal "fans" (as with any park super "fans" to be honest) are so adamant about what is going on and how they have uber inside knowledge on what is going on. I, personally, have felt like it belonged in a new park or IOA with its fantasy theme. I like the fact that universal is still kinda based on cities. I have seen a Tokyo idea floating around the web. That sounds cool.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:01 pm

^Until construction starts, nothing is final when it comes to theme parks... And even then, plans can change very quickly. Inside knowledge or not, until the attraction opens, nothing is 100% guaranteed.

Some examples (both historical and more recent) include:

• Meet the World at Epcot - The ride building was fully constructed along with the entire show developed offsite but never installed. The entire attraction ended up being shipped to Japan to open at Tokyo Disneyland in 1983.
  • The Rhine River Cruise at Epcot - The show building was fully constructed but was never used for its intended purpose. A portion of the Biergarten restaurant uses what would have been the entrance to the queue for the ride had it been built.
  • DisneyQuest Philadelphia - Nicknamed "the Disney Hole" because the building had completed foundational construction by the time the project was cancelled mid-build.
  • The ET Adventure at Universal Studios Singapore - The ride path was fully constructed as designed but the decision to alter the originally intended theme for the ride was made late in the game, changing it to the Sesame Street-inspired Spaghetti Space Chase.

All of the above projects were publicly announced in one form or another and yet they didn't come to fruition. Theme parks pivot all the time in the creative process... No inside knowledge is guaranteed, especially when changes like these can happen so late in the game.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:02 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:06 pm

Trust me, I fully understand and which I was patiently waiting until something official happened. IF it's not in the studios I would be kinda happy though.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby trainplane3 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:17 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:^Until construction starts, nothing is final when it comes to theme parks... And even then, plans can change very quickly. Inside knowledge or not, until the attraction opens, nothing is 100% guaranteed.

• Meet the World at Epcot - The ride building was fully constructed along with the entire show developed offsite but never installed. The entire attraction ended up being shipped to Japan to open at Tokyo Disneyland in 1983.
  • The Rhine River Cruise at Epcot - The show building was fully constructed but was never used for its intended purpose. A portion of the Biergarten restaurant uses what would have been the entrance to the queue for the ride had it been built.
  • DisneyQuest Philadelphia - Nicknamed "the Disney Hole" because the building had completed foundational construction by the time the project was cancelled mid-build.
  • The ET Adventure at Universal Studios Singapore - The ride path was fully constructed as designed but the decision to alter the originally intended theme for the ride was made late in the game, changing it to the Sesame Street-inspired Spaghetti Space Chase.

All of the above projects were publicly announced in one form or another and yet they didn't come to fruition. Theme parks pivot all the time in the creative process... No inside knowledge is guaranteed, especially when changes like these can happen so late in the game.

Only about half of the actual ride building. Hard to believe but there was going to be more. This has been confirmed by numerous insiders and this site shows what could've been. http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2012/2/17/rhine-river-cruise-mysteries.html
You can add the Main Street Theater to that list as well. Construction equipment was setup and then quietly removed.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:13 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:^Until construction starts, nothing is final when it comes to theme parks... And even then, plans can change very quickly. Inside knowledge or not, until the attraction opens, nothing is 100% guaranteed.

If I recall correctly the original concept art for new Fantasyland didn't include Seven Dwarves Mine Train and instead had some sort of Cinderella attraction/meet n greet, maybe even a Pixie Hollow attraction in there somewhere. I don't think 7 Dwarves was even announced until after construction on the the rest of new Fantasyland had started, so yeah things can always change.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Remember guys, this is the Universal Orlando thread... Just a reminder before this strays way off track...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!