Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4248 - Steel Vengeance Front Seat POV!
Users viewing this topic: hyyyper, SbSteveZ and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby MidwestThemeParks » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:48 am

prozach626 wrote:
MidwestThemeParks wrote:I’m sure closing at 10 instead of 11 on those weekdays will be nice for those who work the bigger rides and have to stay after closing anyway to let everyone in line ride.

It probably has more to do with not having enough people in the park after ten to make a profit.

Oh I’m sure it has to do with money, but it’s a nice bonus for the employees (except for those who enjoy working that late, which I’m assuming isn’t many of them).
Total Coasters: 52
Total Rides: 116

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Pedrinho » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:12 am

So.. Random Question..

I'm thinking about convincing a friend of mine for a CP and KI trip some time. Has anybody experience in flying to mid Ohio from Germany? If not, what would you think is the best plan for the trip? To which airport should we fly? Any hints for planning?
Top: Wood: Beast|Mystic Timbers|Wodan|Twister|Phoenix; Dive: Valravn; Wing: Flug der Dämonen|GateKeeper; Launch: Top Thrill Dragster; Floorless: Rougarou; Invert: Banshee; Bob: Flying Turns; <200ft: Expedition GeForce|Maverick|Karacho; >200ft: Silver Star|Magnum XL-200; >300ft: Millennium Force; Mine: Colorado Adventure; Boomerang: Raik; Hybrid: Cyclone
Bucket List: Steel Vengeance|FLY|Formula Rossa|Red Force|Blue Gemini|Colossos|Kennywood|Hersheypark

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:22 am

Has nothing to do with attendance in the last hour and everything to do with how much those people are paying. Cutting an hour of pay from the day results in a roughly 7% cut in operations cost. That difference may in turn be used to make more anemic revenue increases look bigger. It isn't infinitely repeatable though for obvious reasons.

Pedrinho wrote:So.. Random Question..

I'm thinking about convincing a friend of mine for a CP and KI trip some time. Has anybody experience in flying to mid Ohio from Germany? If not, what would you think is the best plan for the trip? To which airport should we fly? Any hints for planning?

You have two options:

1) The only nonstop from Germany to anywhere nearby I know of is Frankfurt-DTW.

2) Otherwise, you should accept that you'll be connecting in Chicago O'Hare, Newark, JFK (NYC), Boston-Logan, or Atlanta. At that point you can either go open gate and fly into Cleveland or Detroit (or honestly even Toledo or Akron) and out of Cincinnati (or Dayton) or vice versa. If you fly into Columbus, it's very central, but you'll be double backing through there to get from one park to the next. You could also choose to include Louisville or Pittsburgh pretty easily with this plan.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:28 am

'I think' Indianapolis is a huge hub and it's only about an hour and a half from KI. You might want to check flight availability there. I know Indianapolis and Chicago were the only airports within several hours of us which had direct flights to Hawaii.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby sirloindude » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:32 am

CMH isn't a bad idea if you want to fly in and out of the same airport. If you did CLE or CVG but wanted in and out of the same airport, you'll do two full-length drives across the state. The most ideal option would be into one and out of the other, but of course, that may come with higher costs.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Pedrinho » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:58 am

Thanks for the quick replies, folks!

DirkFunk wrote:You have two options:

1) The only nonstop from Germany to anywhere nearby I know of is Frankfurt-DTW.

2) Otherwise, you should accept that you'll be connecting in Chicago O'Hare, Newark, JFK (NYC), Boston-Logan, or Atlanta. At that point you can either go open gate and fly into Cleveland or Detroit (or honestly even Toledo or Akron) and out of Cincinnati (or Dayton) or vice versa. If you fly into Columbus, it's very central, but you'll be double backing through there to get from one park to the next. You could also choose to include Louisville or Pittsburgh pretty easily with this plan.

Yeah, I think Detroit might be a bit far away. It would have to be a very cheap connection to use that. So changing planes will we be the plan.

prozach626 wrote:'I think' Indianapolis is a huge hub and it's only about an hour and a half from KI. You might want to check flight availability there. I know Indianapolis and Chicago were the only airports within several hours of us which had direct flights to Hawaii.

I thought of that. We were at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway last year we drove to CP directly. That was well manageable. Thanks!

sirloindude wrote:CMH isn't a bad idea if you want to fly in and out of the same airport. If you did CLE or CVG but wanted in and out of the same airport, you'll do two full-length drives across the state. The most ideal option would be into one and out of the other, but of course, that may come with higher costs.

So we definitely like to fly in, take the rental, do one park, drive to the second, drive back to the airport and return the rental an fly out. So Columbus seems to be the most logic thing.
Top: Wood: Beast|Mystic Timbers|Wodan|Twister|Phoenix; Dive: Valravn; Wing: Flug der Dämonen|GateKeeper; Launch: Top Thrill Dragster; Floorless: Rougarou; Invert: Banshee; Bob: Flying Turns; <200ft: Expedition GeForce|Maverick|Karacho; >200ft: Silver Star|Magnum XL-200; >300ft: Millennium Force; Mine: Colorado Adventure; Boomerang: Raik; Hybrid: Cyclone
Bucket List: Steel Vengeance|FLY|Formula Rossa|Red Force|Blue Gemini|Colossos|Kennywood|Hersheypark

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:20 am

If you fly into Indi, you might also be able to make a quick stop at Holiday World. You'll only need a few hours to ride their four roller coasters and Gobbler's Getaway (yep). Grab a Thanksgiving dinner on your way out for your culture credit...

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby mark549 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:30 pm

prozach626 wrote:'I think' Indianapolis is a huge hub and it's only about an hour and a half from KI. You might want to check flight availability there. I know Indianapolis and Chicago were the only airports within several hours of us which had direct flights to Hawaii.

IND to Kings Island = 133 miles. Might take a little longer than that ...

If I was traveling across an ocean to go to KI I'd try to take some time to visit CP and ride Steel Vengeance, which I think is better than anything at KI or anywhere else.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:47 pm

Pedrinho wrote:Yeah, I think Detroit might be a bit far away. It would have to be a very cheap connection to use that. So changing planes will we be the plan.

Indy isn't a hub, but if you aren't flying from Frankfurt, AMS, or CDG, it really doesn't matter anyhow I suppose. You'll need to connect somewhere.

From DTW to Cedar Point is about 90 minutes.

I thought of that. We were at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway last year we drove to CP directly. That was well manageable. Thanks!

Were you planning on going to see a race during this trip? If that's the case, you'll want to fly into CMH since that's by far closest to Mid-Ohio. I'd strongly recommend going to see the top levels of some series that are more American specific too - namely the NHRA Summit Nationals in Norwalk, OH about 30-40 minutes south of Cedar Point, or Eldora. You could actually book end it that way: start with the Kings Royal, do Kings Island, then head up to Cedar Point and finish at Mid Ohio.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby haydn12 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:06 pm

Delta and Air France have nonstop flights into Detroit Metro Airport (DTW). It's a 4 hour drive from their to Kings Island and 90 minutes to Cedar Point. We always fly into Detroit and then drive to Kings Island and then go to Cedar Point.

Jim

PreviousNext