Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4248 - Steel Vengeance Front Seat POV!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 13 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby jonskinny12 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:46 am

Samuel wrote:It just struck me that Valravn's color scheme is very close to the branding colors of the park itself. I think the idea was to have the style guide colors of Cedar Point showing prominently on the skyline, right in the middle of the park. The orange/brownish color is an update over the red, but the basic color combination is close to what's been used past and present on uniforms, the website, the logo, etc.

Even the white strip along the spine of Valravn's track fits with the park's use of white text & logotype.

Do you think they'll repaint Valravn when they change the park's colors? I wonder how long it will be until they repaint Dragster and other prominent coasters on the skyline to match the park's style guide.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby CoasterInk » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:53 am

^ :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:54 am

Great Adventure should just make their logo rust and puke colored to save themselves a lot of time and money.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby KarlaKoaster » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:19 am

I deal a lot with corporate style guides. I wish they were all supplied to me as roller coasters rather than PDFs, it would make my job a lot more interesting.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Samuel » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:17 am

jonskinny12 wrote:
Samuel wrote:It just struck me that Valravn's color scheme is very close to the branding colors of the park itself. I think the idea was to have the style guide colors of Cedar Point showing prominently on the skyline, right in the middle of the park. The orange/brownish color is an update over the red, but the basic color combination is close to what's been used past and present on uniforms, the website, the logo, etc.

Even the white strip along the spine of Valravn's track fits with the park's use of white text & logotype.

Do you think they'll repaint Valravn when they change the park's colors? I wonder how long it will be until they repaint Dragster and other prominent coasters on the skyline to match the park's style guide.

If you're being sincere, no, the park isn't going to do that. I notice that this might be sarcasm toward me and the idea of a park referencing a style guide, but it isn't a new concept. My employers and clients have them, update them periodically, and adhere to them. Some people scratched their heads at Valravn's unique colors when the ride was first announced, and the colors make more sense if the park wanted to use them for branding purposes, too.

KarlaKoaster wrote:I deal a lot with corporate style guides. I wish they were all supplied to me as roller coasters rather than PDFs, it would make my job a lot more interesting.

Hah, agreed! I've gone over color swatches with branding teams, and sometimes I'll think, "Oh, now that would be a handsome coaster."

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby Airboss » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:19 am

Just watched a video on instagram of Steel Vengeance flying through the mid-course, not getting trimmed at all. The user reported that every single run was like that, the trims have never activated.

The video was on @mac.rides instagram story if you'd like to see it for yourself.

X is the best. Tatsu sucks.

Postby smartestcoasterkidever! » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:27 am

^I rode it about 6 times last night. One was trimmed hard but most of them were only slightly trimmed, to the point where you could barely feel it at all. It’s overcast and a little chilly today, as it was last night as well, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the ride isn’t trimming as hard as the trains might be going slower to begin with.

Postby coasterbill » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:29 am

I’m shocked to hear that a coaster isn’t trimming as much on late September nights after sitting for the entire week. I wonder what could explain such a phenomenon :lol:

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:11 am

I spent Saturday at Cedar point for my first visit in like 11 years and we had an absolutely incredible day. The weather was great and it was crowded but with Fastlane+ we were able to get multiple rides on everything with no issues. I think our longest wait with fastlane+ was maybe around 50 minutes for Dragster but it might have been down before that so the line backed up a bit. I think we managed something like 30+ total rides included multiples on everything in the park (2 on Dragster/MF/GK/maverick, 3 on SV/Valravn/Raptor/magnum) on a Saturday during Halloween so the Fastlane was totally worth every penny. Just a few thoughts.....

The park was really clean and looked great, I didn't see anything anywhere that looks like what was described in this thread a few pages back. We didn't eat at any restaurants but had plenty of snacks and drinks and the food lines were all perfectly manageable. Chik Fila line was spilling out of the building at one point but the food trucks n stuff were all fine.

Operations on the rides were incredible, whatever staffing issues people were talking about last weekend didn't seem to effect the rides, 3 trains on almost everything from open to close and the crews were all great.

It had been a while since I'd been to CP but all of the stuff that was "new" to me looks incredible, the boardwalk area and kids section around Gatekeeper and WT, the Midway around Valravn, the Gemini Midway, the main entrance, the whole place just felt really alive and vibrant. Also, that park at night is something else, all of the light packages they've added to the ferris wheel, wind seeker, and the coasters just really looked awesome at night.

The Halloween event, looked great, the Midnight Syndicate show was kinda cheesy/fun, the kids stuff all looked like a blast......but the scare zones ugh, not very good. The house lines were pretty long so we avoided them, but did go through Deprivation and.......WTF was that? No wonder there was no line for it. Based on the other reviews and the scare zones I'm glad we didn't waste any time on the houses.

Steel Vengeance: Wow, what else can be said, totally awesome ride. I didn't find it "rough" or "uncomfortable" but it was very intense. The intensity alone kind of reminded me of Voyage opening year when it was still smooth and good, we got off Vengeance kind of out of breath from bracing through the whole thing but it was awesome. We got 3 rides on it, 2 up front and 1 in the back, don't really know where I prefer it's just awesome all over but.......

Maverick: Still my favorite at the park, and in the world, this thing is just awesome, the launches, the intensity, the variety of inversions yeah maverick is still my favorite coaster in the world.

Valravn: The surprise of the trip, I was just expecting Sheikra, one trick pony big drop and then a boring layout, but that thing was so much fun. Incredible view from up top, loved the lights under the drop, fun layout, and the Fastlane line was super short so we hit it like 3 times. Loved it.

Millennium Force is still fun, still an incredible drop, there was bit more floater air on the two hills than I remember but layout after the drop is still mostly forgettable but whatever, it's long and super fast and smooth.

Rougarou: So much better as a Floorless, and I love the colors of that thing. Another surprise.

Gatekeeper: This was new for me, it's not a top 10 ride or anything but I loved the keyhole interactions and the wing over drop thing. A bit more intense then I was expecting, really fun ride. Also, do people still complain about the B&M vest restraints? I had absolutely no issues with them, don't see what the fuss is about.

Raptor: Still rocks after all these years, my goodness that thing is intense and I love it. The tracer lights on teh ground under the cobra roll were a really cool touch, and the same thing with the lights under the drop on Valravn, super cool.

Magnum: Running great, I ended the night on it and stayed on for a couple of laps, clearly not the star of the park anymore but just as fun as I remember. Also, the trim in the turn around wasn't on at all, has this been the case for a while? With no trim the return run to the station was violent, but in a good way haha.

Great day overall, can't wait to get back again maybe sometime sooner than 11 years this time.

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby agerikson » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:02 am

Hilltopper39 wrote:Also, do people still complain about the B&M vest restraints? I had absolutely no issues with them, don't see what the fuss is about.

How tall are you? I'm 6'5" and they put a lot of pressure on my shoulder blades, especially as they tighten over the course of the ride. Also, and this is totally just a personal problem, but I find the thigh/lap portion of the restraint uncomfortable as well. Too many squats :b lead to big boy thighs being squished.
Last Park: Six Flags Over Georgia
Last Ride: Twisted Cyclone

PreviousNext