Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4248 - Steel Vengeance Front Seat POV!
Users viewing this topic: grsupercity, KarlaKoaster, Samuel and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: Cedar Fair Corporate Development Discussion Thread (FUN)

Postby Invertalon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:40 am

Unfortunately, on Sunday the park closed at 2pm due to weather and poor attendance. Then this upcoming weekend we have Hurricane Florence that will make landfall (which may cause rain up here in Ohio on existing path, Friday/Sat it looks like). So two weekends in a row where weather will not help matters, especially the first Halloweekends weekend gets hit by this storm.
-Steve

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:38 am

thrillrider wrote:I just got notice that the park has closed early due to weather.

That’s unheard of for Cedar Point. How do they handle that with resort guests? I always assumed that the hotels were the reason the park never closed early due to weather since I don’t really know what they would do for those people.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby operative_me » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:28 am

I believe the hotels were already closed. Usually on Sept/Oct weekends they open Friday and Saturday night and are closed by noon Sunday.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby coasternut » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:23 am

CoasterInk wrote:
thrillrider wrote:I just got notice that the park has closed early due to weather.

Yes unfotunately. However they're allowing anyone who came today to come back another day for free. Nice of them to do that!

That's a nice touch! C.P. is good for doing thoughtful things like that. I'll give them credit...
Coasternut,

LIVING FOR THAT AIRTIME!! :airtime:
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com]Image

Postby thrillrider » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:10 am

coasternut wrote:
CoasterInk wrote:

Yes unfotunately. However they're allowing anyone who came today to come back another day for free. Nice of them to do that!

That's a nice touch! C.P. is good for doing thoughtful things like that. I'll give them credit...

Six flags did this as well.
I guess it's a smart move on the parks behalf. I mean...if the weather is crappy and the park is dead, it probably costs them less to hand out return tickets than to continue to operate. Sure it's a bummer for the guests, but from a business standpoint its smart.

This seems to be more common in the past few summers. Pennsylvania has been hit exceptionally hard with rainfall this summer. It seems like at least once a week that a few of the parks in that state have been closed due to weather.

The exception is when parks use this excuse to close due to "just" low attendance...not weather. We went to a park this summer, and they used the weather excuse to close early, when there was a 30 minute passing storm. So they closed the park 8 hours early. It was sunny and in the 80's for the remainder of the day.
Not good or fair to guests that travel from long distances.
Last edited by thrillrider on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:20 am.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:15 am

^ Based on this I'm astounded Cedar Point stayed open until 8 (as scheduled) 2 weeks ago. The weathermen predicted a 100% chance of thunderstorms so crowds were already light and most of the park left when a big downpour hit for an hour. The rest of the day had walk-ons for pretty much everything.

Six Flags and Lake Compounce are the two I've run into early closures the most often. Both stay open in the downpour but are quick to close when it passes.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lake Winnepesaukah & Alabama Splash Adventure

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby joelwee » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:15 am

SteVeUrkle wrote:Did Ghostrider at Knott's make the list? I'm not a fan of award for coasters, but come on, that's gotta be up there, right? Or The Voyage @ Holiday?

Ghostrider placed at #13. I have yet to ride most of the coasters on the list, but I definitely would've placed GR above Beast and Mystic Timbers.

Voyage placed at #3.
Seat, don't fail me now!
2018 Trip Reports: Castles 'N' Coasters; Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby HavenHamilton » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:45 pm

Very excited to be headed to CP tonight for my first ever Halloweekends (but third trip overall). I'll be there Friday night and Sunday, with early entry on both days.

What's the best way to balance coasters, scare zones, and mazes? Are there better times to focus on each of them? Thanks for any pointers...

Postby prozach626 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:40 am

thrillrider wrote:
The exception is when parks use this excuse to close due to "just" low attendance...not weather. We went to a park this summer, and they used the weather excuse to close early, when there was a 30 minute passing storm. So they closed the park 8 hours early. It was sunny and in the 80's for the remainder of the day.
Not good or fair to guests that travel from long distances.

This exact thing happened to us for our first trip to Kennywood this year. We only had one day to visit and we purchased VIP passes. We totaled it up and I think we paid nearly $300 for six or seven rides. It was really disappointing.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:30 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ Based on this I'm astounded Cedar Point stayed open until 8 (as scheduled) 2 weeks ago. The weathermen predicted a 100% chance of thunderstorms so crowds were already light and most of the park left when a big downpour hit for an hour.

The hotel thing is probably the reason. Two weeks ago the park had guests in the middle of multi-night hotel stays who would have been totally justified in asking for a refund or partial refund. If Cedar Point closes their hotels on Sunday nights when they go to weekend only operations then I guess they don't see the harm in closing on Sundays.

HavenHamilton wrote:Very excited to be headed to CP tonight for my first ever Halloweekends (but third trip overall). I'll be there Friday night and Sunday, with early entry on both days.

What's the best way to balance coasters, scare zones, and mazes? Are there better times to focus on each of them? Thanks for any pointers...

I don't really have much in the way of pointers but since it's your first Halloweekends Friday but note that Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Corkscrew, Gemini, Iron Dragon, Rougarou, Wicked Twister and most flat rides (including Skyhawk, Power Tower and Windseeker) are closed tonight for staffing.

PreviousNext