Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4113 - Updates to Cedar Point Boardwalk
Users viewing this topic: imagineerz and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:23 am

^Not to mention that every RMC I've ridden in opening season experiences severe growing pains and lots of down time. Plus, there are lots of...."fluffy"...people who get turned away and slow down dispatching.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:55 pm

True, and RMC dispatches are naturally slow to begin with. Just a "feature" of the restraints. "Seat belts first, and don't pull down the restraints until we tell you. Seat belts first, don't forget your seat belts." And even with that spiel, there's always someone who pulls down their restraint immediately and doesn't wear the seat belt....
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Postby prozach626 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:16 pm

^ I have to confess that on Goliath at SFGam this past visit we buckled up and instinctively pulled our lap bars down, only to be instantly berated by the staff... #sixflagsday

Granted, it was right at opening and we walked right on. It was well before the constant barrage of "Seat belt's first, DO NOT pull down your lap bars." We got on the ride so quickly I'm not even sure they made an announcement.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Yeah that sounds like Six Flags. :lol: SDC starts their spiel as the air gates open.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Postby cal1br3tto » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Are ridership counts totally based on turnstile clicks, or are there additional counting methods? It strikes me how impressive it is that they collect such precise numbers, but I'd guess that's pretty much all there is to it.
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby anonymouscactus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:45 pm

^ and then there's always the kid that decides to start flinging the turnstile around (literally) 100+ times while they stand in line, skewing the numbers... but yeah. Most parks will record turnstile clicks often (every hour). I can't remember Cedar Point specifically but a lot of coasters now-a-days are counted by whomever is in controls instead of relying on turnstiles. Just count the number of empty seats when it's busy or count the number of seats that are full when it's light and then calculate from there.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Password121 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:56 pm

There's the turnstile at the station for most rides, along with alternate access counts which are collected by a ride host when they are loaded on the train (since they don't go through the turnstile). For the most part, it's very accurate. There are some rides, such as Valravn, that guests think the turnstile is meant to be left untouched and as a result the "official" numbers are much lower than reality. Millennium's is very accurate though.
2017 Ride Host - Millennium Force

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Baffles » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:57 pm

True, and RMC dispatches are naturally slow to begin with. Just a "feature" of the restraints. "Seat belts first, and don't pull down the restraints until we tell you. Seat belts first, don't forget your seat belts." And even with that spiel, there's always someone who pulls down their restraint immediately and doesn't wear the seat belt....

Correct me if I am wrong, but we have yet to see a park with consistently great operations run an RMC. I'm sure CP will speed up the whole restraint checking process compared to what we have seen at Six Flags and elsewhere..
TowersTimes.co.uk | SouthParks.co.uk

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Baffles wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but we have yet to see a park with consistently great operations run an RMC.

Silver Dollar City has an RMC.

Postby cal1br3tto » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:42 pm

^^^/^^^^Cool! Yeah, I was also wondering if parks generally have estimates of inaccuracy due to people playing with the turnstiles (probably still ends up negligible in comparison to actual ridership), non-riders passing through, and riders not passing through. So you two helped clear up my bonus questions too.
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

PreviousNext