Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4113 - Updates to Cedar Point Boardwalk
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:47 pm

Password121 wrote:
Jason Maier wrote:So with Cedar Point's 2017 season over (I know they're not doing Winterfest this year, maybe next year they will) . . . .

What was the most ridden coaster at the park this year? (and yes, I did try Googling 'Most ridden roller coaster at Cedar Point', but didn't find anything).

I think last year, Gatekeeper was the most ridden.

I don't think the numbers have been released yet, but a different ride was the most ridden this year!

Train has to be the most ridden. You can get, what, 300 people at a time on that thing? No one's afraid of a train, it has interesting scenery, and it saves a walk across half the park. If I had money on this, it would be on the train.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby JT325 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:25 pm

^But how many trains are there? How often does a train dispatch? It’s a long ride compared to a 2 minute coaster.
#CPFrontierLift2019

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:34 pm

I know there are at least two. Might be three. But let's assume 300 people per train, two trains, and a 10 minute ride. That's 3600 people per hour. If there's a third train, that's 5400 people per hour. And you can probably get more than 300 into one of those trains if the demand is there.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:22 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:No one's afraid of a train,

You rode the El through Kensington. Imagine that at night.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC / SWO/BGT

Postby coasterbill » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:49 pm

boldikus wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Platinum » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:18 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:
Password121 wrote:
Jason Maier wrote:So with Cedar Point's 2017 season over (I know they're not doing Winterfest this year, maybe next year they will) . . . .

What was the most ridden coaster at the park this year? (and yes, I did try Googling 'Most ridden roller coaster at Cedar Point', but didn't find anything).

I don't think the numbers have been released yet, but a different ride was the most ridden this year!

Train has to be the most ridden. You can get, what, 300 people at a time on that thing? No one's afraid of a train, it has interesting scenery, and it saves a walk across half the park. If I had money on this, it would be on the train.

Based on footage, it's 12.5 minutes between dispatches. Which is 4,032 rph with two trains. Which is nearly twice what their highest capacity coaster, Gemini, currently runs at.
Last edited by Platinum on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:29 pm.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Physical » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:24 pm

boldikus wrote:

As someone who lives in Kensington, I'm offended :p

(but seriously, fudge Kensington, I woke up to find my car like this recently. This neighborhood sucks and there's zero reason to come here if you don't live here.)
Former Dorney Park ride operator - 2015 season - Demon Drop | Card carrying member of Flyers Addicts Anonymous
Steel: 86, Wood: 26, Total: 112, Parks: 15, Favorite Park: Knoebels
Love List: (Steel) Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Maverick Afterburn | (Wood) Lightning Rod, El Toro, Wicked Cyclone | (Flats) Flyers, Power Surge, Top Spin

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:05 am

boldikus wrote:

:lol: :lmao: :lol:

You win.

Platinum wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:
Password121 wrote:

Based on footage, it's 12.5 minutes between dispatches. Which is 4,032 rph with two trains. Which is nearly twice what their highest capacity coaster, Gemini, currently runs at.

Ok, see, there's somebody with actual numbers. That's basically my point, that it can have way more riders than anything else. Ridership depends much more on demand than capacity for trains.

And demand for Kensington trains ought to be zero. I never want to see that f*cking place again. :lol:

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:04 am

Physical wrote:
boldikus wrote:

As someone who lives in Kensington, I'm offended :p

(but seriously, fudge Kensington, I woke up to find my car like this recently. This neighborhood sucks and there's zero reason to come here if you don't live here.)

Oh man. What part of Kensington are you in? Is it the kinda nice part right off of Fishtown/Nolibs or the truly scary area around Somerset/Allegheny? :lol:

Somewhat related true story (and total thread derailment): Years ago, my fiancee and I were once woken by her neighbor (this is in Northeast Philly - near Grant & Academy, relatively nice area) who had spotted a couple dudes removing the wheels off her car and called the cops who had arrived to chased them away mid-steal. These idiots had driven there and parked behind her car, and took off on foot when the cops showed. So the brilliant Philly cops let all the air out of their tires and told us to call if we saw these assh*les again. This was all at like 3am, and of course we couldn't fall back to sleep and sat up in the window, when about an hour later we spotted them walking up the street back to retrieve their car, so naturally we called the cops back who arrived almost immediately and were able to arrest both of them as they tried to run into the woods near her house. The cops had dogs and tasers and sh*t. It was totally epic. Moral of the story? It doesn't just happen in North Philly. And Philly cops are generally awesome. :lol:
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC / SWO/BGT

Postby coasterbill » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:43 am

Platinum wrote:Based on footage, it's 12.5 minutes between dispatches. Which is 4,032 rph with two trains. Which is nearly twice what their highest capacity coaster, Gemini, currently runs at.

Yes but they don't always run both trains (at least I don't think they do) and more importantly they don't fill them. How often do you see people get turned away when the train arrives because there's no room on it? Basically never...

Last year the top 5 were

5. Raptor: 1,494,938
4. Magnum XL-200: 1,518,
3. Valravn: 1,599,105
2. Millennium Force: 1,726,772
1. GateKeeper : 1,923,420

The train finished at #7. I have no idea what #6 was. I'm guessing Gemini. If it filled it's trains and always ran both sides it would crush the competition but those two things rarely happen. Rougarou could be up there too if it had the demand but I don't really think it does. Iron Dragon probably would have had an outside shot too if it weren't for VR. It did have Early Entry last season but it came off this year.

In the end, Millennium Force is hard to beat. It has 3 36 passenger trains which are always full, relatively high up-time and Early Entry which gives it an extra hour of operation per day. Gatekeeper is right up there with it since it also has early entry, it has 32 passenger trains, it loads very quickly and it almost always fills it's trains (though it's popularity probably drops a little each year and it does send out a ton of empties during Early Entry and late at night which Millennium Force never, ever does. Gatekeeper also goes down quite a bit for wind. I feel like Millennium Force will get back ahead of Gatekeeper soon once Gatekeeper's popularity drops a little more. I also wouldn't be shocked if it comes off of Early Entry soon. Millennium Force will never come off of Early Entry, always fills its trains and generally has to cycle through a giant line that can exceed an hour long after park close.

I feel like Gatekeeper will almost definitely do more riders than Steel Vengeance next year as long as they leave it on Early Entry (and probably even if they don't). Millennium Force would pretty much have to fall into the lake not to do more riders than an RMC running 24 passenger trains regardless of it's popularity.

PreviousNext