TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Yep, heard it was rough (as expected). Even against our recommendation not to go, a work friend headed up and took 1.5hrs to just park. Supposedly has a miserable time at the park, shocker. Maybe next time he listen, yes?

I think SV had a 2hr Fast Lane wait, with the normal queue at around 3hrs... Oy.

Yep, heard it was rough (as expected). Even against our recommendation not to go, a work friend headed up and took 1.5hrs to just park. Supposedly has a miserable time at the park, shocker. Maybe next time he listen, yes?

I think SV had a 2hr Fast Lane wait, with the normal queue at around 3hrs... Oy.

lol. I get family that want to take trips to Cedar point on Saturdays throughout mid summer and mid October. My response is always, "Ha, no, why don't you try NOT picking a day when LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE wants to go.

Can confirm Saturday was insane. My brother and I took my nephews up for one last visit (we knew going in it would be insane but schedule wise this was our last available day to go). We planned for early entry and were gonna stay till 3pm. By 11am park opening Steel Vengeance was a full queue, about a 3 hour wait. Maverick's like was back to the vending machines and by the time we made our way up to MF it's line was a full queue. At one point we even saw the line for Iron Dragon backed up about 100ft onto the midway.

We got a few rides in, visited the animals in the petting zoo and checked out things like the make a candle shop. Overall, it was a fun day because we knew exactly what we were getting into and planned for it. We had no intention to try and ride Maverick, MF or Steel Vengeance.

By the time we actually left, closer to 4pm the lot was packed and cars were parking on the grass at the back. The line to get into the park was still about 4 miles down Cedar Point Rd.

With a midnight close plus a grace period plus running out the line plus transferring trains off, cleaning and finally clocking out there are probably a lot of ride ops that don’t leave until well after 1am.

Early Entry starts at 10 so the ops need to be there for those rides well ahead of time transferring trains on and running tests so even if you live in the dorms you’re probably maxing out at like 5 hours of sleep as it is.

Kings Island doesn’t have nearly as many Early Entry rides and (based on the fact that they haven’t resorted to closing a bunch of rides early for the season and closing almost half the park on Fridays) they don’t seem to have as much of a staffing problem either so they can probably shift people around a little bit better. At this point I would think that Cedar Point needs to push everyone they can to work from open to close all weekend. I’m sure Kings Island has staffing problems too, but nobody has staffing problems like Cedar Point.

^ That would be correct. On a summer midnight close at Millennium Force (one particular with a PM ERT and opened for early entry the following day) I had less than 5 hours between shifts. So about 3.5 hours of sleep between 12-18 hour shifts.

There's a lot to be said there about loving the job, but pushing that back another hour wouldn't be helping the employees or park out necessarily.

With a midnight close plus a grace period plus running out the line plus transferring trains off, cleaning and finally clocking out there are probably a lot of ride ops that don’t leave until well after 1am.

Early Entry starts at 10 so the ops need to be there for those rides well ahead of time transferring trains on and running tests so even if you live in the dorms you’re probably maxing out at like 5 hours of sleep as it is.

Kings Island doesn’t have nearly as many Early Entry rides and (based on the fact that they haven’t resorted to closing a bunch of rides early for the season and closing almost half the park on Fridays) they don’t seem to have as much of a staffing problem either so they can probably shift people around a little bit better. At this point I would think that Cedar Point needs to push everyone they can to work from open to close all weekend. I’m sure Kings Island has staffing problems too, but nobody has staffing problems like Cedar Point.

I'll add to this, that when we were at KI for Haunt earlier this year, they closed the line for The Beast RIGHT AT 1:00, if not a little before. We got off our last ride on it, ran around, and with 1:00 showing on my clock, there wasn't even a worker around, but the line was closed. Being used to CP closing rides around 7 after, I was surprised, and a little bummed. But again, given the late hour, I can understand why they do it that way.

Yea, Saturday was just insane.

I wonder why they dont keep the park open till 1am on Saturday nights like kings island does? I mean, with crowds like this I can see a need to.

I still don't understand how seasoned enthusiasts go to any park in the fall and NOT expect them to be rammed. I mean, isn't it a given by now?

I wonder why they dont keep the park open till 1am on Saturday nights like kings island does? I mean, with crowds like this I can see a need to.

I still don't understand how seasoned enthusiasts go to any park in the fall and NOT expect them to be rammed. I mean, isn't it a given by now?

I went in expecting it. That's why I explained the reason to go was to check out the shows, and let the kids do the kids stuff. Really wasn't planning on hitting the rides till Sunday.

I was there all day Saturday, unfortunately. Might have been the biggest crowd I've ever seen at CP personally. That combined with the chilly weather meant that I spent more time walking than riding. Sunday was a shorter day but warmer. And the crowd was considerably smaller. Was able to get on almost all of the coasters except for Magnum and Gatekeeper.

^ That would be correct. On a summer midnight close at Millennium Force (one particular with a PM ERT and opened for early entry the following day) I had less than 5 hours between shifts. So about 3.5 hours of sleep between 12-18 hour shifts.

There's a lot to be said there about loving the job, but pushing that back another hour wouldn't be helping the employees or park out necessarily.

Didnt work in rides, but in games at Dorney, with midnight closes, leaving work between 1:30-2am getting home 30 minutes later, then having to get up at 7 to be back at the park before 9 was awful. Dunkin becomes your best friend on those days.

One of my former managers at Dorney, used to help out at Cedar Point during haunt. He told me about the time he worked maverick on the parks busiest day in history. He said the park closed at 12, with a three hour wait. Ride closed at 3, took an hour to transfer all the trains off. he was stuck in traffic until 7am when he finally got back to his apartment on the other side of the causeway and had to be back at work by 8am.

ANY park? Down here in Virginia it usually isn't bad at all, I usually go about 10 times during the Halloween events. Some strategy is needed, but it's still easy to get more night rides this month than in any other 2 months. Edit/rethink: This is short visits as a local, so maybe not fair -- but I'm also prepared to believe even that doesn't work at the parks you're talking about. GAdv is scary to consider!

KD has been more crowded maybe due to the new ride, although I think the big difference was it stayed warm longer so there wasn't a lull in the crowds early in the event. Now it's getting cold, but too close to the end to make much difference.

Sunday before Columbus Day I screwed up though and went too early, and just left after a Grizzly, dinner and scarezones. They may be getting too successful.

I think maybe there was some exaggeration there. Still four hours of traffic ... THREE HOURS AFTER close?

Told me traffic was stand still. Apparently attendance that day was upward of 75,000. I'd imagine when you have cars parked any possible spot they could, it would take hours.

I sat in the back lot for over 3 1/2 hours 4 or 5 years ago on Columbus Day Saturday when it was busy enough they sold out of fastlane. They cleared the whole front lot first before letting us leave. I can't imagine it would ever take 7 hours to get out in the worst case scenario. It can be awful though.

I have a hard time to imagine the park being so crowded. We were there in July 2017 for four days and on the third day there were so many people that Fast Lane was the only way to go - and when we saw the parking lot from GateKeeper is was three quarters empty. It really has to be insane when there are so many people in the park at the same time, that this is completely full and the cars are stacked on the causeway.

ANY park? Down here in Virginia it usually isn't bad at all, I usually go about 10 times during the Halloween events. Some strategy is needed, but it's still easy to get more night rides this month than in any other 2 months. Edit/rethink: This is short visits as a local, so maybe not fair -- but I'm also prepared to believe even that doesn't work at the parks you're talking about. GAdv is scary to consider!

... so yeah. We went to Busch Gardens for Howl o Scream last year and waited for two hours for Alpengeist on the rain.

Short locals visits late at night or right at opening will get you on everything with minimal waits in basically every park, but during the afternoon and evening it's a sh*tshow. And again... it was a rainy day.

I sat in the back lot for over 3 1/2 hours 4 or 5 years ago on Columbus Day Saturday when it was busy enough they sold out of fastlane. They cleared the whole front lot first before letting us leave. I can't imagine it would ever take 7 hours to get out in the worst case scenario. It can be awful though.

He told me he parked in the back of the park near maverick.