TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^By chance, have you guys ever been in the Western NY Coaster Club? I see that is your location...

I've met all types over the years, but mostly nice. A couple that I seem to see everywhere, and it's better if I walk the other way when I see them. One particular trouble maker who... I don't know how they are even allowed in some parks anymore.

TPR is the only theme park/coaster enthusiast group that I am a part of. If the people you described above are part of that WNY coaster club, I don't see us joining it any time soon.

With regards to stopping coasters for people with cell phones, I have seen them do it on Maverick. The good part is that the ride op walked up the lift stairs where you could hear her scolding this person, confiscated their phone and was met with a round of applause when she came back into the station! Then she proceeded to issue the warning that if anyone is caught using their cell phone on the ride, that it could be cause for ejection from the park with no refund.

What sucked was that because of the launched lift, it took them about 10 minutes to get everything reset and bring them back to the initial launch point. We were the next riders up, so I had hoped that others gave this tool a razzing when they pulled back into the station.

Have to say that it was nice seeing clearly posted warning signs at Six Flags St. Louis where it mentioned instant ejection, no refund and if you had a season pass, you could stand to be banned for an entire year. Good for them, I say...I hope they enforce it too!

Nearly every coaster enthusiast I've met in person at a park falls into one of two categories:

1) Those who seem to have a hard time blending into standard social situations and awkwardly talk about coasters with a little TOO much reverence, sometimes with borderline-sexual commentary. Usually I find these people pretty harmless, but some become awfully clingy, wanted to follow me around and talk only coasters when I display pretty clear body language that I wish to end the conversation and be left alone. I've also seen a few display behavior many would classify as "creepy" (think the TPR story of the guy who would hang around shirtless near the water park kiddie play area)

2) The obnoxious, rude, full-of-themselves kind with an entitled, inflated sense of self. Case in point - when I recently went to SFFT, I ran into a couple in line in Goliath where the guy happened to strike up a conversation with me and, once finding out I was an enthusiast, proceeded to bash nearly every park we happened to talk about, including how he would absolutely NEVER go back to SFA, despite his last visit being fifteen years AND completely free (he was a VIP guest with a friend or some bulls**t like that). Got pretty racist, too.

I swear, the only down-to-earth, normal enthusiast I've met in person so far is Josh (JRice) back when he visited SFGAdv a couple years back. Another reason to love TPR - their folks are truly the cream of the crop! Gonna have to meet more of you all in person at some point to help further support that there are in fact normal enthusiasts out there.

The few people I met at East Coast bash a few years ago at Kings Dominion were awesome; but they were also very aware that not everyone at the event was as much fun. We saw people boo the poor park president over those temporary trims on Intimidator, and Robb had to yell at them. One couple in line at Dominator would not STFU about “millennium forceless.” No one is impressed.

^^ You nailed it, Michael!

I have met the coaster nerd that claims to know everything about coasters like he was Dick Kinzel and Ron Toomer's grandchild. Then the ones that are just socially awkward or are just have nothing nice to say about anything. But to counter that, we have also met many cool people at the TPR events too.

^ Ugggh...hopefully Robb has weeded those people out, although I am sure that he did right after the event.

Anyone have an update on SV? Flight leaves out Friday to Cincinnati for my 2 park CF trip and can't find any updates if they are on 1or 2 train ops since the new block brakes install.

Thanks in advance.

They’re running one train. Even so, if you have Early Entry just go to the resort gate and make sure you get through the metal detectors and gate and into the holding area before 9:00. Once they open you should be on within an hour even if you just walk at a semi brisk pace to the ride.

We did that yesterday, and keep in mind that was a Saturday of a holiday weekend.

If you don’t have Early Entry, god help you.

Because it’s Top Thrill Dragster.

It was open earlier, we rode it (though we waited through the customary 40 minute breakdown), Dragster was actually open early today (well before the end of Early Entry). I was amazed.

TL;DR: Josh was working the panel and accidentally deleted system 32. They’re unplugging the ride, waiting 2 minutes and plugging it back in.

Nearly every coaster enthusiast I've met in person at a park falls into one of two categories:

Those seem like extremes to me, unless you are talking about hardcore enthusiasts. I consider myself an enthusiast but not the hardcore kind (I don't have time for that). I would like to think I don't fit into either of those stereotypes, nor would many people here.

but today on three different occasions, I’ve seen a coaster stopped on the lift hill and a ride op run up and confiscate a phone from a guest who was recording.

I saw it happen on Blue Streak last year. The op stopped a train the hill about half way and spent at least 2 or 3 minutes making announcements over the PA for them to put it away. There are speakers on the hill so I'm pretty sure they could hear but they were either oblivious to the announcement or just thought it didn't apply to them. Eventually an op went up the hill and took it off them.

This was our first enthusiast event and the people were weird AF. During SV ERT some of the dudes literally looked like they reached sexual climax when the train rolled into the brake run. We were weirded out.

This! This right here!! I'm a nerd but some enthusiasts take it to another level.

This kind of behavior being talked about isn't exclusive to coasters... If you are into Comic Books and/or Anime, you see the same type of behavior. Most people that are into the hobby are cool and socially "normal", but there are a select few that fit the extreme stereotypes (Think Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons)... Because they are swing so far against the accepted social norms most of us live by, they stand out like sore thumbs.

It's that reason why I try and be quiet about my interest in the hobby. As bad as it is to use stereotypes, they become commonly accepted because they are somewhat based in truth. And I flat out don't want to be classified like that. It's a love/hate relationship I have with this hobby and it seems others share similar feelings towards it. We all want to geek out, but we also know our social limits.

Again, you see this a lot with comics... People love them a ton but are very apprehensive about letting their nerd-flag fly because of the stigmas associated with such actions. And it's amazing how geeky those self-aware people can be once you get them out of their shell

(full disclosure, I fit the above description )

I try to avoid it, but I know that I appear visibly annoyed when I hear people in line fawning over rides and spouting stats and such. I don't mind the general conversation about visiting other parks or other rides, but those excessive types drive me nuts. For the most part, when I wait in line I don't talk to anyone. I just observe the crowd, and watch the ride a bit. Maybe that opinion is driven from the fact I work with crowds of people, and don't enjoy people in general. I do enjoy good rides, though.

I'd never go to a Comic Con... yikes.

With regards to stopping coasters for people with cell phones, I have seen them do it on Maverick. The good part is that the ride op walked up the lift stairs where you could hear her scolding this person, confiscated their phone and was met with a round of applause when she came back into the station! Then she proceeded to issue the warning that if anyone is caught using their cell phone on the ride, that it could be cause for ejection from the park with no refund.

What sucked was that because of the launched lift, it took them about 10 minutes to get everything reset and bring them back to the initial launch point. We were the next riders up, so I had hoped that others gave this tool a razzing when they pulled back into the station.

yep. . happened when we were in line for it last year too.

added a nice 10 minute wait since it messes up all the sensors, but some people are idiots, and just do not care if they might cause a delay for everyone else

This kind of behavior being talked about isn't exclusive to coasters... If you are into Comic Books and/or Anime, you see the same type of behavior. Most people that are into the hobby are cool and socially "normal", but there are a select few that fit the extreme stereotypes (Think Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons)... Because they are swing so far against the accepted social norms most of us live by, they stand out like sore thumbs.

I think it's safe to say this behavior exists in every hobby. My other hobby is cars, and I see the types of people being described at meets all the time.

Anyone have an update on SV? Flight leaves out Friday to Cincinnati for my 2 park CF trip and can't find any updates if they are on 1or 2 train ops since the new block brakes install.

Thanks in advance.

I will be visiting the 2 parks as well in exactly a month from now! Are you doing them back to back?

I put a day in between because I know my wife can't handle one after another. I'm not sure she will even be able to handle CP!! I only added the other park just cause I don't know when I would be back.

^Pretty much...fly in Fri night, grab rental car, stay at hotel near KI then Sat all day till close (night rides on Beast). Leave the park and head to Columbus hotel about an hour and 1/2 drive, then up early for the 2 hour drive to CP. Spend most of the day there with Fast Lane (+) and I usually grab a hotel anywhere south of Sandusky and head back down to Cincy the next morning to catch an afternoon flight home. Seems to go much smoother when you break up the drive times.

No, it’s going to be nice pretty much every day with thunderstorms possible in the afternoon that will probably last about an hour. Welcome to the Midwest.

So... pro tip, we did this on Saturday.

When rain looks imminent at Cedar Point, head to the Steel Vengeance shop. If there’s lightning, most people will leave the line. AS SOON as it lets up (even if it’s still drizzling) line up outside the entrance. We rode Steek Vengeance twice on Saturday and we only got that second ride because of a storm. It’s a blessing in disguise because it clears out every queue in the park except the Maverick queue (since it’s all undercover) and if you play it smart you can get on basically any ride without waiting.

Other people will do this too, that’s why you want to go to the Steel Vengeance shop. We were about 10 people back from the entrance and within 15 minutes the line went all the way through the overflow queue and across the train tracks.

There was rain forecasted for both days we were there in 2016, which was awesome because it lightened the crowds, even though it only really rained for like an hour max each day. The rain on the second day led to the best ride on Millennium Force to ever exist, even if it did stop us from getting a second ride on TTD. There are definitely pros and cons to the weather at CP.