TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Wow, $110 FL+ for opening day w/o discount is actually a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

Probably because the Platinum upgrade is only good for Gatekeeper, Valravn and Steel Vengeance on opening day unless you happen to catch Dragster and Maverick for the ten minutes they each spend operating that day. The regular is good for the additional 6 rides that will be operating at any given time.

I know you have reasonable expectations, live within a reasonable distance of the park and probably have a pass so it makes perfect sense for you to go opening weekend, but I can't wait to read the relentless bitching that floods the internet on Opening weekend from enthusiasts who should have known better.

As for me, I'm tempted but I'm sticking to my "Just pretend Cedar Point's operating season starts Memorial Day weekend and ends on Labor Day weekend" policy.

Wow, $110 FL+ for opening day w/o discount is actually a lot cheaper than I was expecting. I'll still wait until Sunday to go (and wait to know the status on other attractions opening for the season or not before I go), but color me surprised.

Still a lot in my opinion. I can spend a full day at Disney, with fastlane included(enough to ride all the big rides) . That's the same price basically.

Besides that, even the fastlane lines are going to be an hour or so for opening weekend. If your gonna splurge, I would wait till all the bugs are worked out. It would suck to spend that money, just to have steel vengeance down most of the day.

^ I don't disagree with any of those statements. Opening weekend, which I do normally attend on Sunday, is a little crazy operations, maintenance, and closures wise. But like you said, I can just take a 4 hour drive whenever I feel like it and don't feel the need to complain about every little thing. I'm excited to read how many pissed of people from Saturday who had to wait 7 hours to ride Steel Vengeance and that it broke down 10 times. Those 1 star Facebook reviews will roll in quickly, lol.

Opening SUNDAY the lines really aren't too bad other than the breakdowns, you'll have the first 2 hours of the day to ride anything you want with little to no wait while everyone runs to Steel Vengeance. At least that is my prediction.

Tentatively my thinking is while everyone runs to SV, I ride Maverick a few times, then get in the FL+ line at 9:30... so yes I will wait a half hour because there is no FL+ during early entry, but I'll already have my wristbands etc for when FL+ opens at 10:00 while everyone else goes to the 2-3 hour early entry line. Just based off how Valravn went opening Sunday. I'm not going to get there at 7am like I'm guessing a lot of people will. Of course, there are always curve balls opening weekend, so we'll see. Even if I don't get to ride SV, I'll be happy, because it's friggin Cedar Point.

This is year in the future, but what do you think of a hyperloop between Cleveland and Cedar Point?

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2018/02/noaca_signs_agreement_with_hyp.html

NOACA signs agreement with Hyperloop Transportation Technologies to explore Cleveland-Chicago routes

Updated Feb 15, 9:33 AM; Posted Feb 15, 9:00 AM

By Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Hyperloop Transportation Technologies announced it has signed agreements with the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency and the Illinois Department of Transportation to study several high-speed routes that would zoom between Cleveland and Chicago in as little as 28 minutes.

First envisioned by inventor and business magnate Elon Musk, Hyperloop is a technology that could speed passengers or cargo in specially designed capsules or "pods" through a steel tube maintained at a partial vacuum.

NOACA Director Grace Gallucci, speaking by phone from Washington, D.C. Wednesday afternoon, said: "It's really exciting to be collaborating with Hyperloop Transportation Technologies and IDOT to make better, faster and more efficient transportation between Chicago and Cleveland a reality."

The NOACA board voted in December to authorize Gallucci to identify sources for up to $600,000 to pay for its share of the feasibility analysis.

Gallucci said Wednesday she's "still working with other local partners to share that cost." Some $100,000 of NOACA's contribution to the analysis would be in-kind, she said.

Based in Playa Vista, California, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies, also known by the initials HTT, is exploring Hyperloop routes in competition with Los Angeles-based Hyperloop One, which recently picked a Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh link as one of 10 around the globe that it wants to explore.

Competition

Hyperloop One said Tuesday it would make a "major announcement" about its next steps in creating a route it calls "Midwest Connect," that would not include Cleveland.

An independent engineering firm will conduct the feasibility analysis on the Cleveland-Chicago route for NOACA starting as early as March, Gallucci said.

The agency, which plans and coordinates transportation spending in Northeast Ohio, will soon release a request for proposals to choose the engineering firm, she said.

The work could take six to 12 months, and will examine potential routes for a Hyperloop line along with the cost, ridership, and possible station locations, she said. Public rights-of-way along I-80, I-90 and the Amtrak rail line will be explored.

"One of the things we want to do is go to Cedar Point," Gallucci said.

Cedar Point in 7-10 minutes

She estimated that a Hyperloop trip from Cleveland to the lakeside amusement park in Sandusky, which attracted 3.6 million visitors in 2016, would take 7 to 10 minutes.

HTT said it has formed a regional consortium around the Cleveland-Chicago project that includes "a multitude of other prominent organizations."

Additional details will be announced at an event scheduled for Feb. 26 in Cleveland at the Great Lakes Science Center, the company said.

"Regulations are the ultimate barrier for Hyperloop implementation, and we are excited to build the first real public-private partnership to bring Hyperloop travel to the US," Dirk Ahlborn, CEO of HTT, said in the company's announcement.

"With this agreement, we welcome innovative and industry-leading partners in both government and industry to our movement," the announcement quoted Ahlborn as saying.

Drawn to NEO

The company said that it was drawn to Northeast Ohio and the industrial Great Lakes region because of its deep capacities in manufacturing.

"We came here because places like Cleveland, Chicago and Pittsburgh have the manufacturing, the raw materials and the talented, hard working people in order to make it happen," Andrea La Mendola, HTT's chief global operations officer, said in the announcement.

"We can source everything from this area," he said. "This is a place where you make big things."

Founded in 2013, HTT is a global firm with more than 800 employees in 52 multidisciplinary teams, with 40 corporate and university partners, it said.

The firm has offices in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, UAE; Bratislava, Slovakia; Toulouse, France; and Barcelona, Spain. It has signed agreements in Slovakia, Abu Dhabi, the Czech Republic, France, Indonesia, Korea and the U.S., the announcement said.

If anyone can pull it off, Elon Musk can.

Given the amount of subsidies he has needed, the odds that he will find countless billions to take lots of people's land and build this are likely very low. I'd be happy with reliable Amtrak service that was hourly instead of daily. Sandusky is on the existing line but not a useful stop for going to Cedar Point (arriving in the middle of the night).

A ride system that would go hundreds of kilometers per hour could not follow the existing routes of the interstate highways or freight rail, the curves would need to be much larger. The amount of homes and other properties that would have to be demolished would be large. DOA is my guess. It's good for boosting share values but not a serious proposal.

Edited by mark549

This is year in the future, but what do you think of a hyperloop between Cleveland and Cedar Point?

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2018/02/noaca_signs_agreement_with_hyp.html

NOACA signs agreement with Hyperloop Transportation Technologies to explore Cleveland-Chicago routes

Really looking forward to this in 2050!

If anyone can pull it off, Elon Musk can.

Given the amount of subsidies he has needed, the odds that he will find countless billions to take lots of people's land and build this are likely very low. I'd be happy with reliable Amtrak service that was hourly instead of daily. Sandusky is on the existing line but not a useful stop for going to Cedar Point (arriving in the middle of the night).

A ride system that would go hundreds of kilometers per hour could not follow the existing routes of the interstate highways or freight rail, the curves would need to be much larger. The amount of homes and other properties that would have to be demolished would be large. DOA is my guess. It's good for boosting share values but not a serious proposal.

And in case you were curious, "lift motor and stuff assembly" is absolutely definitely the technical term for it.

edit:

The comment chain that picture came from is pretty hilarious. CP vs. Busch

[attachment=0]Screenshot_20180216-172916_Fenix.jpg[/attachment]

LOL!!! Awwww!! That's seriously the cutest shit I've read all week The roller coaster love is REAL!!

While I appreciate Bill trying to keep crowds low for me, I do have to post a differing view regarding the "sweet spot" of Cedar Point attendance, which is weekdays in May. I have been making a living for well over a decade of going to CP almost exclusively in May, during the week, and it's BY FAR the best time to attend the park! While operations may not be in mid-season form, and there have been some older coasters down only in recent years (though nothing that bothered me too much (WT, Magnum), by and large, from extensive experience going these glorious days, the crowds are low, the lines very nice (as in non-existent on all but the most popular coasters, and even then, we're talking 30-45 minutes, tops), and your only real downside is the unpredictable weather. I highly recommend going during this time to everybody I talk to, and plan on being at CP at least one day a week those three weeks in May after it opens, and possibly the first week in June as well! But again, by all means, stay away! Just one less person in line in front of me while I wait maybe half an hour for Steel Vengeance!

That sounds really great if you live close and can be okay with not everything running or running well. I live 11 hours away and can only get up there about every other year, so I'll wait for June. Still not awful lines, much better operations.

This whole "poor operations" line is like some TPR urban legend at this point... They've had some rides closed in recent years for very specific reasons (again, WT and Magnum), but on the whole, the park runs as it usually runs, just with less staff, and probably a little less efficiency. Believe me... I've been going to CP my entire life, in every month and season it's open, and the lines, even by mid-June, are nothing like the glorious weekdays in May. I mean, people can take CP advice from whomever they want, but it sounds like they're taking it from people who attend maybe once or twice a year at best, rather than somebody who knows the park like the back of his hand. I'm not sure why people are pushing this "poor operations" in May narrative, but if it keeps more people away, all the more benefit for me! (And I'm not exactly "close", at 3 hours away, but I simply haven't seen in reality, these terrible operations others keep posting about...)

Yeah, I get your point, and it probably is overblown a bit. I have experienced opening weekend at the three major Missouri parks, though, and they're also off at first. Even SDC, which has the best operations of the three, and is right up there with Cedar Point, Knoebels, and Disney, is off at first. It takes a few weeks before everything's humming. It's not a day killer, but it's noticeable.

For me, if I'm going to spend the time and money to get to Cedar Point, I want the best experience possible. Three hours is nothing. That's about how far it is for me to get to Six Flags St. Louis, and I've driven there and back in the same day a lot. You can do that often. It takes an entire day for me to drive to Cedar Point, and a second entire day to drive back. It's a bigger investment, so I want it to be worth it.

So when we've gone to parks farther away, we've done it between Memorial Day and Labour Day. Yeah, it's more expensive, and yeah it's busier. But it's also a great experience, and ultimately you don't remember the time spent in line; you remember how much fun you had. Plus, just about every park has Fast Lane if it's really bad.