TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I just arrived at Cedar Point and I'm staying at Hotel Breakers for the first time I really like the room and the bed is confertable and comes with six pillows I'll be here till Friday. I have a couple of questions about the crowds at the park. When I got here strong storms just arrived hopefully when they clear. Will the park die out some does that ever happen?

IMG_0005.thumb.JPG.2fb1ff6a1b734ff655c56fe0fd91c7de.JPG

Just arrived at Hotel Breakers from Minnesota 15 hour drive

^ If I'm reading your post correctly, yes the park will often clear out during a storm and then be dead or at least somewhat dead for the remainder of the day.

Obviously it depends on what time....if it storms at like 10:30 AM and the forecast is for it to clear in the afternoon, people are likely to hang around. If it's more like 6:00 PM and the storm ends at 7:00, chances are that the place will clear out and you may get some ERT-like hotness for a couple of hours.

^ If I'm reading your post correctly, yes the park will often clear out during a storm and then be dead or at least somewhat dead for the remainder of the day.

Obviously it depends on what time....if it storms at like 10:30 AM and the forecast is for it to clear in the afternoon, people are likely to hang around. If it's more like 6:00 PM and the storm ends at 7:00, chances are that the place will clear out and you may get some ERT-like hotness for a couple of hours.

The park may clear some, but your wait times may stay the same or even be longer. When rides reopen after rain/thunder they do so with reduced trains. Visited this year and after a rain delay Millineum, Gatekeeper, Rogorou, Raptor went from 3 trains to 2 trains.

On the topic of unofficial gay day we ended up being there unknowingly years ago maybe 07. my best friend and i had been at the park since friday. We noticed Sunday was really crowded for some reason and noticed a lot of red. We put together what was going on and my buddy had worn red that day. we ended up leaving after only 3 or 4 rides just because we had been there long enough and it was packed. They had the dj booths going and on our wait for MF i have never heard so many people sing its raining men and free bird (this was odd to me at the time given the band) so loud outside of a concert. It was 11 am and in full party mode. It is something I surly will never forget.

Wow! Way different story then this last Sunday. It was a normal day at Cedar Point, unfortunately no party! It was extremely dead, line for Millie was in the station and Same for TTD!

It was a beautiful day to be at CP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Well, as a first time visitor to the place, after several decades of waiting, timing, money etc etc.,

It just looked awesome to us, and since we were in the month that it is, Pride Coaster just came to mind.

But a rainbow is just a rainbow, I agree.

I thought I would never get a chance to roll back but I was in line at Top Thrill Dragster around 5:00 pm did the launch half way up the train stalled out and I got a chance to roll back on Top Thrill Dragster felt kind of freaky actually because I never rolled back before some people were freaking out on the train but it took a while to get back in the station then the ride was closed rest of the evening and I got to experience the park when heavy storms move in around 8:00 pm I was in line for Millennium Force went down for lightning for ten minutes stopped raining open for a while the line was 1/2 hour wait but every one left then I headed to Valravan did a night ride was walk on and last ride it tonight was Raptor once I got to the station it started to poor and lightning they closed the ride down. I noticed there was lightning across the bay but they still kept the rides open for a period of time eventually they closed at park closing sever weather. Do they operate rides when there's lightning across the bay how close does lightning have to be to shut rides down? So far my first two days have been warm during the day and storms in the evening is it normally like this? Thursday suppose to be 90 storms in the evening.

I was at Cedar Point for a total of 9 days in a row, every day dragster ran, not constantly mind you, but about ~90%, I saw a total of 4 roll backs, and I was also 1 train off being a rollback, because after our train completed the circuit, the train behind rolled back and shut down the ride for a bit. There were probably more in the days, but I witnessed 4.

So how often does TTD roll back? (and does it roll back more than Kingda Ka?)

All the time and yes.

Honestly Kingda Ka rollbacks are pretty rare. Dragster rolls back all the time early in the day of after it comes back up from extended downtime.

^ Why does TTD roll back so much more? Does it have to do with the weather and wind gusts?

The launch system of the trains accelerates to a speed that allows them to just scale the hill. A ride computer regulates the amount of energy transmitted for each launch. Beyond operator inputs, the computer also receives signals from inductive sensors near the top of the hill detect when a coaster passes by. The sensors are spaced a equal distance apart and thus the computer can calculate velocity by measuring the time interval. If calculations show a train has gone too slow or too fast, the computer tells the launch system to increase or decrease speed of the next launch.

The computer evaluates speed of the last three trains and calculates an average. This determines speed of the next train. So if three consecutive coasters are filled with lighter weight passengers, then a bunch of heavier total weight passengers fill the next one, that fourth coaster probably will be a roll back. If you ever go on a slow day you may notice that CP will leave 2 or even 3 middle rows empty if the crowds are so light that trains are not being filled. This is to keep passengers per train more consistent and with the calculations described reduce the chances of failed launches.

I thought they designed the top hat to a different angle. For example you will never see Kingda Ka get stuck at the top like Dragster has.

Kingda Ka has magnetic fins to prevent that from happening. Dragster does not. You can see them here.

3253911585_b5fc62e1d2_b.jpg

^ The magnetic trim brakes have nothing to do with preventing a train from stopping at the time. Like others mentioned Kingda Ka has more of an egg-shape design to the top hat that making it harder for the train to balance on.

Then what is the purpose of the trim brakes and why doesn't TTD have them?

...Then what is the purpose of the trim brakes and why doesn't TTD have them?

Maybe to cut down on the amount of over-speeds when a train is cresting the tower, which can also cause an error and shut the ride down. Maybe TTD doesn't have them because TTD was the prototype, and Intamin didn't see it as something that needed to be addressed till they built a second one??