TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Antonio Discussion Thread

Hey everybody!

This thread is simple! Rather than having a million little threads about everything that goes on at SeaWorld San Antonio, this thread is designed to consolidate it all into one user-friendly thread. Feel free to use it to post updates, trip reports, questions, comments, and of course, general discussion. For pictures and videos of the park as well as past updates, see TPR's Park Index Page.

Official Park Website

Below are some links to past updates from the park, you may be interested in. Enjoy!

--Robb

August 22nd, 2006 - Journey to Atlantis announced!

February 6th, 2007 - Journey to Atlantis construction update

September 23rd, 2010 - Sesame Street Bay of Play announced!

February 11th, 2011 - Sesame Street Bay of Play details revealed

May 23rd, 2011 - Aquatica San Antonio announced!

May 24th, 2011 - More details about Aquatica San Antonio revealed

May 27th, 2011 - Aquatica San Antonio key visual released

June 27th, 2011 - A look at the now-defunct Texas Splashdown

December 7th, 2011 - Aquatica San Antonio construction update

February 10th, 2012 - Aquatica San Antonio park map released

February 11th, 2012 - Brian Morrow talks about Aquatica

February 15th, 2012 - A look at Aquatica's beach

February 26th, 2012 - Latest Aquatica San Antonio construction update

March 28th, 2012 - A look inside of Stingray Falls

May 16th, 2012 - Huge Aquatica San Antonio update!

June 17th, 2013 - SeaWorld 50th Anniversary Sea of Surprises announced!

August 15th, 2014- SeaWorld announces expanded killer whale habitats

August 27th, 2014- New Clyde & Seamore show to debut in 2015!

March 6th, 2016 - Discovery Pointe announced

November 9th, 2015 - SeaWorld expansion announced, resorts in the works

September 26, 2016 - Wave Breaker: Rescue Coaster announced for 2017

March 15th, 2017 - Wave Breaker update

September 20th, 2017 - Sesame Street Parade, Taumata Racer & more coming to SeaWorld and Aquatica San Antonio in 2018!

September 27th, 2018 - Turtle Reef habitat to be added, includes Riptide Rescue (Huss Airboat), Sea Swinger (Zamperla Discovery Revolution) and a interactive sea turtle attraction.

August 21st, 2019 - Tallest, Fastest wooden coaster in Texas is being teased

September 12th, 2019 - Texas Stingray announced

November 2nd, 2020 - Fiesta del Mar event announced!

August 12th, 2021 - Howl-O-Scream 2021 details revealed!

August 23rd, 2021 - Tidal Surge Screamin' Swing coming for 2022!

September 27th, 2022 - "Catapult Falls" launched flume coaster announced for 2023!

Original Post:

As the rumor for Six Flags Fiesta Texas to get a new coaster, the other San Antonio park is adding one! Journey to Atlantis will be a mack Supersplash water coaster for SWSA! It'll be 100' tall and have a 3:30 duration with 2 turntables.

http://www.rcdb.com/ It should apper on the first page latest update.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this ride as I might go down to San Antonio next year, I hope it'll be a good ride!

Here is the latest info.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2006/08/21/daily17.html?jst=b_ln_hl

SeaWorld San Antonio officials say the giant marine park will add a major ride attraction next year that will be the first of its kind in the United States.

Journey to Atlantis, which is scheduled to open on May 24, 2007, will combine the elements of a traditional roller coaster and water ride.

Park officials say the Journey to Atlantis experience will feature 16-passenger boats that will travel uphill and then spin on a turntable when they reach the first plateau, rotating up to 360 degrees. Riders will get a 100-foot-high view of the Alamo City before being propelled backward down a reverse camelback.

At the crest of the second hill, the boats rotate again before plunging down a final hill and splashing into a lake filled with geysers and water spouts.

"Journey to Atlantis will be an exciting addition," says SeaWorld San Antonio Executive Vice President and General Manager Dan Decker. "Not only will riders experience the thrills of a roller coaster, they get the cooling effects of the water ride as well."

Decker says onlookers will have an opportunity to get splashed from an observation area located adjacent to the ride.

SeaWorld officials say the new attraction will be constructed by Mack GMBH, a German ride manufacturer. A similar ride by the same manufacturer is featured at Germany's Europa Park.

Officials say the new ride will be situated on 3 acres between the White Whale and Dolphin Stadium and the Nautilus Amphitheater.

Journey to Atlantis will be the sixth major ride added to the world's largest marine life adventure park. Park officials say this one should be particularly appealing for families with children, as riders need only be 42 inches high to enjoy the experience.

Decker says SeaWorld also is planning additional park enhancements.

The park will open for its 2007 season on March 3 and will be open through Dec. 31. Season Passports go on sale Aug. 25.

SeaWorld San Antonio is an Anheuser-Busch Adventure Park and is owned by St. Louis-based Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. (NYSE: BUD).

Fiesta is supposedly getting a Gerstlauer spinner, much like Mr Six's Pandemonium at SFNE.

In any case, looks like another good addition. I know the park was brutally hot the last time I was there. It'll be nice to be able to get wet!

Maybe a return to Texas is in order for the future, though the idea of turntables does worry me a bit, meaning more risk for downtime.

Anyone else slightly disappointed?

It just seems like every time we get a new Journey it's 'dumbed down' a bit more!

SWO - Majorly themed Dark Ride Sections, Big Log Flume Drop, Big Coaster Drop

SWSD - No Dark Ride at all, Same Log Flume Drop, 2 Coaster Drops

SWSA - Splash down boat.

Yes, I liked Supersplash at Europa Park, but it's nothing more than a splashdown boat.

It just seems like every time we get a new Journey it's 'dumbed down' a bit more!

SWSA - Splash down boat.

Yes, I liked Supersplash at Europa Park, but it's nothing more than a splashdown boat.

Just the hierarchy of budgets. Florida gets the most, San Antonio the least. Because San Antonio already has a log flume, a shoot-the-chute deluxe was the way to go. An extended version of this larger ride system would probably be cost prohibitive.

I think the biggest dissappointment regarding this install is that supposadly it will lack the speed bump after the big drop that the installs in Norway and Germany have. Just a drop down into the run-out like any other shoot-the-chute. Personally, I would have nixed the seemingly pointless turntables in exchange for this speed bump if it came down to a budget issue.

SWSA is experiencing record attendance these days. They'll probably come close to or break 2 million guests this year. Of course, extending the schedule helps too.

-Mark

SWSA - Splash down boat.

While reading I felt the same way. Its like that took a great concept and over time watered it down. How can they even call it journey to atlantis?!?

SWSA - Splash down boat.

I completely agree actually, I was hoping this one would be more of a combo of the SWO/SWSD one. (with the dark ride portion and maybe some more coaster/turntable elements)

I personally love the version of Atlantis in San Diego. Sure the only dark ride portion in the vertical lift in the tower, but thoose two effects located in the tower are pretty kool. This new one at San Antionio sounds like a clone or similar to Atlantica SuperSplash at Europa. Never the less its an addition to the park and more than welcomed.

I was also slightly disappointed when I was reading it (I wanted a JTA like the one in SWO), but now that I think about it I believe it is a good idea. SWSA already has two water rides and a water park, so it is not really in need of a water ride. It also has two coasters so it is not in need of a one either. So they picked somewhere in the middle of those two options that is unique to the U.S. This also makes all of the SW parks have their own unique JTA instead of three clones, which I really like. This ride is also going to be very well themed so who really knows what it will do, there could be a dark ride portion on the turnarounds. I still wish this was more similar to the JTA at SWO though, oh well at least I will be able to get my third JTA credit next year! with the "Ice Age" credit too!

I will say that, while I enjoyed Atlantica Supersplash at Europa, it's not a ride I would get right back in line for, or probably even bother riding again on a future visit unless it had no line. Same goes for TusenFryd's version. In fact, for whatever reason, I think I actually liked TusenFryd's installation better! Mainly because turning around backwards took a long time, and the backwards portion wasn't that exciting.

I think it's the kind of addition that will be "welcomed" and will be a hit with the locals at the park, which is AWESOME! But for me, I think I'd give it a miss and wait and plan my visit around something more substantial.

--Robb "And to answer your question - There was no airtime on either the Europa or TusenFryd versions." Alvey

This is another idea that is probably far fetched. Instead of themeing the ride, why not theme the entire area? I mean why waste money on themeing of one ride when the entire new area could be themed to Atlantis and then the ride would fit approiately without any additional themeing. The artist's rendering looks to have quite a bit of outside themeing or maybe I'm just seeing things. Anyways to sum it up, just theme the whole new area.

--cpfan101

SWSA - Splash down boat.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. Sounds like of the 3:20, only about 30 seconds will be actual ride time! The rest will be lift hill and turntables.

Ah well, a ride's a ride. Enjoy your water silos!

EDIT: Ok, Elissa already said the same thing a few posts above me.

• 4 weeks later...

Already disapointed ? Ok I have more !

- 2 Turntables, yes, but no backward drop, the little drop between the two turntables will be taken forwards

- No bunny hop after the big drop

Atlantica was already tame but this one, wow...And the best is : you don't get even wet

• 5 weeks later...

The ride is coming along nicely (if you count some cleared land and ditched). It's in an area of the park that is finally getting refurbished to bring more visitors back to that area instead of over by the rides. The next area I think they will expand on is the either the water park or the area over by Dolphen Cove. They have like 6 acres of unused land back there.

CP"will try to get pics next time" fan101