Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Page 912 - Delirious (Larson Looper) Flat Ride Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Postby Mdcastle » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:35 am

New merchandise opportunity next haunt: Selling clean, dry pants at the exits to the mazes.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby RCjunkie » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 am

mnreggie wrote:
RCjunkie wrote:^ It is tough to watch smaller parks (or at least used to be) like Kentucky Kingdom grow and surpass VF with their new additions.

So very true, but also keep in mind the weather up here is different than many of these parks, they have a different ethos as well (Thinking Knoebels and Kentucky Kingdom). They also have the freedom of being independently run as well, perhaps they gained an investor and such too? Valleyfair has both the privilege and burden of being a part of a larger chain: they have larger corporate backing... but they also have shareholders to appease as well. Not that smaller parks don't have shareholders, but larger parks have to keep things moving for all the parks, and lots of profit to make to keep people happy. It's definitely worth noting that they have mentioned investment here in MN soon, but working down the chain of parks definitely makes sense: Cedar Point is indeed their flagship park and something they need to keep competitive with Six Flags' lead parks.

Also, a note about growth: families make up a huge chunk of visitors, not seasoned enthusiasts. I personally think it's great that they're reinvesting into that demographic with the new(ish) kids area, the Route 76 area as well are all laying down a good foundation for a well rounded park. Even more so, a development year with just utility upgrades and such also shows good management: they care enough about the quality and durability of the park to keep it up to date. It's smart investment to be sure. All that doesn't surpass my desire to have new hotness in the park, but especially for a temperamental climate as MN, it's good to see we have a park that doing well even despite the size.

Nice job on the balanced summary of WHY Valleyfair operates the way it does. And I agree with all your points but that still doesn't make it any easier for me to see other formally smaller parks move by VF with new additions. :cry: :lol: Hopefully CF backs up it's statements of investing in VF soon like they have said in their quarterly reports for the last four years.

coasterbill wrote:It must be nice when “oh no, it’s the offseason” means “Hey, let’s to go to the mall tomorrow and ride that kick A$$ log flume and 4 great coasters”. :lol:

Yes, we have that going for us here........which is nice. We got a log flume and a Gerstlauer.......log flume would be good for you. ;)

*Insert Caddyshack reference here.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby andy232221 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:47 am

This is just total speculation and has no evidence. but I think they should remove corkscrew and wave and build a compact blitz coaster or something like that on the same site.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby VF15 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:02 am

^
I don’t see Corkscrew going anywhere until the park adds a new looping coaster, they’ve been maintaining it pretty well over the years. The Wave also probably still has some life left, it’s popular with families and draws a fairly long line on warm/hot days.

As for a Blitz coaster, while it would be wonderful if the park had a Maverick-like coaster, Cedar Fair is not going to drop $20 million+ on a new coaster at Valleyfair, at least not anytime soon.
2016 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Wild Thing
2017 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing
2018 Valleyfair Ride Operator - Steel Venom/Scrambler

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby grsupercity » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:25 am

I would like to see an infinity style coaster at this park. Otherwise a RMC raptor would fill a nice hole in the lineup
As of right now top 25
Maverick...Lightning Run...Fury325...Phantoms Revenge...Shivering Timbers...Montu...:lighting Rod...Afterburn...Mako...Storm Chaser...Goliath SFGAM...Rivine flyer2...Manta...Raging Bull ...American Thunder...Intimidator...Kumba...Millennium Force...Raptor...Voyage...Mine Blower...Renegade...Cheetah Hunt...Mr Freeze
Is that 26?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby andy232221 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:20 pm

VF15 wrote:^
I don’t see Corkscrew going anywhere until the park adds a new looping coaster, they’ve been maintaining it pretty well over the years. The Wave also probably still has some life left, it’s popular with families and draws a fairly long line on warm/hot days.

As for a Blitz coaster, while it would be wonderful if the park had a Maverick-like coaster, Cedar Fair is not going to drop $20 million+ on a new coaster at Valleyfair, at least not anytime soon.

they could make it an inverting coaster. and they could make a nice new log flume ride where the amphitheater. and yes that is all way too expensive for cedar fair to put at their second smallest park.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Swishtime101 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:16 am

andy232221 wrote:
VF15 wrote:^

they could make it an inverting coaster. and they could make a nice new log flume ride where the amphitheater. and yes that is all way too expensive for cedar fair to put at their second smallest park.

I don’t see a flume ride coming back as Minnesota already has a good one at the MoA and correct me if I’m wrong, but I also don’t find them to be all that popular among the general public anymore.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby andy232221 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:29 am

I honestly don't know if they are popular among the general public the one at MoA always has a decent line when I go there. I don't go there often. It is a really good one though

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby jazma » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:32 am

^^ The Log Ride at Knott's has always been the most popular ride in the park. Of course, it is heavily themed too.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Mdcastle » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:35 pm

I don't see another log flume. Now that there's somewhat close to adequate capacity in Soak City that's depreciated the other water rides. Riptide went away and no one really noticed. Most people want to get wet in their swimming suits, not their street clothes.

Non-Ride ideas, besides moving the park road in preparation for a waterpark expansion.

* Winterize the utilities, insulate some of the buildings, etc to leave open the possibility of a winterfest

* Replace the last of the ugly 1990s parking lot style path lights with the acorn lights found in the rebuilt areas

* Replace the last of the asphalt with pavers.

* Repave the parking lot an install LED lighting. They're actually using enclosed only rated metal halide bulbs in the non-enclosed fixtures; a lamp could explode and rain down glass on guests. (The mercury vapor bulbs those fixtures were designed for didn't have that issue.)

* Rebuild the parking lot gate.

* Build a canopy by the ticket center for guests waiting in line

* Build a larger Panda Express building

* Enlarge the Caribou by the front gate for more inside seating by taking over the gift shop, then enlarge the gift shop on the other side to compensate.

* Second Caribou location somewhere on the other end of the park.

* Rebuild the Red Baron bathrooms, possibly closing down the ones by Stupid Cat, or else consolidate them in front of Wild Things.

* Another permanent haunt structure

* Widen the path back to Dark Harvest, etc so guests don't have to walk through the whole Dino loop back to the park.

* Beef up the fence in by Wild Thing / Route 76 to prevent a repeat of the fence jumping fight night.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!