Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:34 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ Yeah because they opened it for VIPs during the GTA event.

:lol: Right, because they assume those people are smart enough to ride the ride without proactively trying to kill themselves. The fact that they allowed GTA VIPs to ride it just goes to back up my point that this has nothing to do with access or evacuation concerns and everything to do with the fact that they firmly believe (maybe correctly) that their regular guests are idiots.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby xChris125x » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:13 pm

coasterbill wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:^ Yeah because they opened it for VIPs during the GTA event.

:lol: Right, because they assume those people are smart enough to ride the ride without proactively trying to kill themselves. The fact that they allowed GTA VIPs to ride it just goes to back up my point that this has nothing to do with access or evacuation concerns and everything to do with the fact that they firmly believe (maybe correctly) that their regular guests are idiots.

It does have a lot to do with emergency (and general) access under the ride. It was not unusual to close the ride in extreme heat for fear of a medical emergency, and that only addresses a single preventable issue. With evacuation nearly impossible along the entire hillside, waiting 15-20min for a gondola in distress to return could be the difference between life or death.

Just because it has ran for years with no problems does not mean the threat of such an emergency has not raised concern for park management. They have been lucky to not have had a major incident while this attraction has operated.

And yes, the lowering standard of guest behavior was the final nail for this ride.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:30 pm

xChris125x wrote:It does have a lot to do with emergency (and general) access under the ride. It was not unusual to close the ride in extreme heat for fear of a medical emergency, and that only addresses a single preventable issue. With evacuation nearly impossible along the entire hillside, waiting 15-20min for a gondola in distress to return could be the difference between life or death.

Just because "it has ran for years with no problems" doesn't mean the threat of such an emergency has not raised concern for park management. They have been lucky to not have had a major incident while this attraction has operated. .

Again, every ski resort in the world says hi. Knoebels says hi too.

Yes, it might take awhile to get someone off the ride in the event of an emergency but that's true of thousands of other rides too.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby xChris125x » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:38 pm

coasterbill wrote:
xChris125x wrote:It does have a lot to do with emergency (and general) access under the ride. It was not unusual to close the ride in extreme heat for fear of a medical emergency, and that only addresses a single preventable issue. With evacuation nearly impossible along the entire hillside, waiting 15-20min for a gondola in distress to return could be the difference between life or death.

Just because "it has ran for years with no problems" doesn't mean the threat of such an emergency has not raised concern for park management. They have been lucky to not have had a major incident while this attraction has operated. .

Again, every ski resort in the world says hi. Knoebels says hi too.

Yes, it might take awhile to get someone off the ride in the event of an emergency but that's true of thousands of other rides too.

The LC lift and Ski Resort lifts are not a fair comparison.

Ski Resort lifts unload at the top, where medical staff are able to meet a guest. The top of the lift at LC is inaccessible.

It can be assumed that patrons riding a lift at a ski resort have some level of physical ability. Grandma and grandpa riding the LC lift with their grandchildren likely do not.

Also, Knoebels is family owned. LC is corporate owned. They will inherently have different approaches to these concerns.

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:47 pm

xChris125x wrote:It can be assumed that patrons riding a lift at a ski resort have some level of physical ability. Grandma and grandpa riding the LC lift with their grandchildren likely do not.

Most ski resorts run their lifts in the Spring, Summer and Fall as scenic Sky Rides. This is from Hunter Mountain (sort of) near our house. It's the same thing as the Lake Compounce ride, the vast majority of major ski areas do this. Note the terrain.

Here's one that just opened in Gatlinburg near Dollywood. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of similar operations worldwide.

Again, I get that they closed the ride because they think people are idiots. I agree with them in that sentiment... but buying into the excuse about evacuations and rough terrain is ridiculous to me. If they were concerned about that, why was it suddenly okay this past weekend? :lol:

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby thesman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:08 pm

I can see all points of the argument but It still seems weird that they would choose to close it over other options.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby BoulderDash » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:51 pm

They always had warning signs that warned people about potential risks and told people not to smoke or do anything stupid while riding. I still think reinforcing those rules along with a camera/speaker system on every tower should have been implemented. They added a system like that to Thunder Rapids and they have an employee watching the cameras at all times with a mic ready to correct guest behavior if needed. I don't see why they couldn't have done that with Skyride. If someone isn't following the rules, they can stop the ride and yell at them.

I know this would be a ton of work, but I would have been fine with them shortening the ride too. If they made it turn around at the top of the main drop (roughly the halfway point), it probably would have helped with a lot of issues and still would have provided a great ride.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby thesman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:16 pm

^ It's more work than you think to shorten the ride

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby MisterBrow » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Not only does Hunter Mt. run their lift in the summer but also during the drunk country and hippy music festivals without any issues.
Meister Brau just wants a path from CC to SM at SFA, meal plan burrito, some shade, and a restroom back there.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:24 pm

BoulderDash wrote:I know this would be a ton of work, but

thesman wrote:^ It's more work than you think

werk.gif
Look for the humor in anything and you will find it.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman: The Ride - Intimidator 305 -
Wicked Cyclone - Phantoms Revenge - Millennium Force - Storm Runner - Nitro

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!