Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Re: Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

Postby thesman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:07 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ That's a bummer it wasn't for everyone. I'm still shocked they're planning on closing it.

Me too, I feel like it would cost more to remove it than to the modify the restaints

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:41 am

From what I heard it's not the restraints. They are worried someone could start a fire by dropping a cigarette/lighter.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, El Toro, Voyage, Cornball Express
Top 5 Steel- Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Millennium Force, Phantom's Revenge
Top 5 Parks- Disneyland, Knoebels, Cedar Point, Magic Kingdom, Busch Gardens Williamsburg

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby BoulderDash » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:21 am

I think it is a combo of that and how long it would take to evacuate if they ever needed to evacuate it. I think there have been quite a few incidents that were kept quiet and they have been thinking of closing it for a while. I understand why they are closing it, but it is such a shame and a waste. Really wish they would open it up to pass holders for an hour or two for last rides.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby thesman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:22 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:From what I heard it's not the restraints. They are worried someone could start a fire by dropping a cigarette/lighter.

Oh really, I thought they closed it after the incident at great escape

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:40 am

Based on the timing, I agree the Great Escape incident was the straw that broke the camel's back in the end, but someone falling out wasn't the only issue Lake Compounce was concerned about on the Sky Ride.

Basically it came down to not being able to trust people, which is sad but I can't say I blame the park for that thought process.
Top 5 Steel- Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Millennium Force, Phantom's Revenge
Top 5 Parks- Disneyland, Knoebels, Cedar Point, Magic Kingdom, Busch Gardens Williamsburg

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Genx24 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:48 am

Makes sense from a preventing fire standpoint. People are always looking to flout the rules. I rode the skyride this summer and on the ascent, I saw numerous gondolas with people smoking in them. Shame that the actions of the few ruin things for the many.
Skyrush/El Toro/Boulder Dash/Superman/New Texas Giant/Phantom's Revenge/Wicked Cyclone/Phoenix/Stormrunner/Xcelerator
Total coasters: 122

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:39 am

Apparently Wildcat is closed again per the message on top of their website. It is on the list for Haunted Graveyard though which is a welcome change.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby xChris125x » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:07 am

There are several reasons the Skyride has closed.

1) Poor guest behavior - Guests frequently do not ride in a proper position and often subject themselves to injury.

2) Evacuation - With a ~20min ride cycle, the ride cannot be evacuated quick enough if a fire were to begin coupled with unfavorable wind conditions. The same issue is true for a medical emergency. Not all guests can be easily lowered from the gondolas.

3) Access - The area under the ride is nearly entirely jagged granite. Access to these areas is nearly impossible just for trimming brush, let alone an emergency evacuation.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:16 pm

We're still on this?

All across the world, people board these same types of rides on skis riding on ice and snow with ski poles in hand, then they ride up at much faster speeds and then ski off the ride 3, 4 or 5 across in unison all while the chairs are moving. Generally they're also responsible for lowering and raising the bar themselves. Many ski lifts are also over rocky / extreme terrain and not the runs themselves. You're much less likely to get injured on this than on a standard ski lift and there are thousands of them operating safely across the world and in the United States.

They closed the ride because they think their guests are too stupid to ride it without falling or jumping out of it (as evidenced by the timing of the closure). They may very well be right, but rumors about the ride being closed because of access and evacuation make little sense since they've been issues with this thing from day one and nobody has ever cared before and because thousands of ski resorts operate these things over similar terrain without issue.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:30 pm

^ Yeah because they opened it for VIPs during the GTA event.

coasterbill wrote:Apparently Wildcat is closed again per the message on top of their website. It is on the list for Haunted Graveyard though which is a welcome change.

I heard the GTA VIPs were getting tours of Wildcat on Saturday, so I thought that may have been the reason for the closure. Hopefully it isn't something more than that.

Since the ride barely opened all summer, I'd love to see it finally available during the Graveyard so I can see just how much the work has paid off. Even if it's not glass smooth, the work they did has apparently sped the ride up which should make it enjoyable now.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!