The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: Skittles and 9 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
2 + 2 = donkey!

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby tanthonyam » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:51 pm

I find the one time use for skip the line on the Flash pass they sell is a big turnoff and rip off with a couple of the rides. Why do they do this?? This is why I prefer Cedar Fair parks, they don't limit your rides with the pass they sell.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby tanthonyam » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:54 pm

Twisted Colossus and Viper show still closed on the website. What's up??? Did they never get Viper up and running yet?

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Twistedtatsu805 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:59 pm

tanthonyam wrote:Twisted Colossus and Viper show still closed on the website. What's up??? Did they never get Viper up and running yet?

They're still working on Viper, they had a crew working on the mid course brakes and the transfer track today. For Twisted Colossus I'm not sure. It was fine on Sunday but today it was surrounded by cranes and they seemed to be doing some kind of track work

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby VegasCoaster » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:27 pm

Anyone with a pulse on the goings on at SFMM have a clue if Twisted Colossus, Lex Luthor, and Justice League will be open by December? Was hoping to get use out of my season pass for some new rides since the last time I've been but with Apocalypse and Green Lantern being closed for a while it'll pretty much only be Yolocoaster and OTSR-free Revolution that'll be new to me. I wouldn't expect lines to be crazy in early December, but was debating if regular or gold flash pass was worth it at all.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby SteVeUrkle » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:00 pm

tanthonyam wrote:Twisted Colossus and Viper show still closed on the website. What's up??? Did they never get Viper up and running yet?

Well, let's consider Twisted Colossus has been running consistently with no major issues or downtime since 2015, and Viper is almost 30 years old. Also I cannot remember the last time Viper was ever closed on a visit. I'd guess they're getting some tender love and care. I don't know if anyone enjoys Viper the way I do, but they can take as long as they want if it means the thing will be opened for another decade.

That being said, has anyone ever rode Vortex at Kings Island?

I was absolutely blown away with how well designed and non-slam-into-the-headrests the ride was. Except for after the MCBR into the double corkscrew, holy crap for some reason Arrow could just not figure out how to design a transition into those double corkscrews for either rides! They are SO obnoxiously bad! Also the Vortex restraints were not that bad at all, and for all the insane kind of elements going on and 1 less inversion, a much more pleasant experience as far as I was concerned. For some reason Arrow went with those terrible awkward hard OTSR's on Viper that never made any sense to me at all.

Last but not least, I've never needed a Flash Pass for SFMM before May or After September. Yes, you may wait an hour in 1 or 2 lines while the others are 15 Minutes or walk ons, but unless you're in the butt middle of Summer, as always explained around these parts...get to the park, scope it out, then decide if it's worth it.
Live Cedar Point Queue Times: https://queue-times.com/parks/50/queue_times

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby joelwee » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:49 pm

^ I also really enjoyed both Viper and Vortex. Viper's OTSRs don't bother me because I'm tall enough that my head sits up above them, and I've ridden it so many times that I know when to brace for possible headbanging. Vortex was a pleasant surprise; that straight drop is so much better than a curved drop. If Viper had that straight drop, it'd probably be my favorite looping coaster.
Seat, don't fail me now!
2018 Trip Reports: Castles 'N' Coasters; Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:21 am

I like Viper. Vortex needs to be loaded onto a rocket and launched into the sun.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:58 am

joelwee wrote:^ I also really enjoyed both Viper and Vortex. Viper's OTSRs don't bother me because I'm tall enough that my head sits up above them, and I've ridden it so many times that I know when to brace for possible headbanging. Vortex was a pleasant surprise; that straight drop is so much better than a curved drop. If Viper had that straight drop, it'd probably be my favorite looping coaster.

I also enjoy both for this reason. If my head weren't above the restraint, I'm sure I'd have a different opinion.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Twistedtatsu805 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:52 am

It's easy to avoid the headbanging on Viper if you're not tall. Just lean forward a bit so your head isn't between the otsr. Gonna head to the park today to see if there's any changes.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby EastCoastKid » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:45 am

coasterbill wrote:I like Viper. Vortex needs to be loaded onto a rocket and launched into the sun.

And I'm the complete opposite. I thoroughly enjoyed Vortex, and re-rode it 5x when I visited KI. Viper on the other hand beats me up. I think my torso is too long for Viper's restraints, but I seemed to fit in Vortex's just fine.
What is this donkey business?

PreviousNext