The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Gimme Some Candy!

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread!!!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:35 am

^Yeah, the mid-Atlantic region is a great place for coasters. California has X2 and Tatsu, but aside from that just about everything is matched (or bettered) over here. Throw those two things in a park with the rides you mentioned and I'd never leave.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:41 am

^^Yep, not to mention Bizzaro (SFNE) and Boulder Dash further north. There's no doubt in my mind that the east/northeast has the best collection of kick arse coasters in the country. ...maybe the world.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Manic Monte » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:25 am

Yeah but you can't expect one park on the west coast to match those "several" parks with all those great coasters. The quality of coasters would have to go up at every park over here.

I agree that SFMM needs and airtime machine. It makes no sense to have 17-18 roller coasters that all go upside down, and a hyper coaster with one speed hill? But then you look at the other parks in Cali and the situation gets even more dire. Xcelerator and then...nothing.

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:19 am

Manic Monte wrote:Yeah but you can't expect one park on the west coast to match those "several" parks with all those great coasters. The quality of coasters would have to go up at every park over here.

I agree that SFMM needs and airtime machine. It makes no sense to have 17-18 roller coasters that all go upside down, and a hyper coaster with one speed hill? But then you look at the other parks in Cali and the situation gets even more dire. Xcelerator and then...nothing.

Manta (SWSD) has some good airtime.

Anyways, hopefully YOLOcoaster will be designed with lots of airtime, but with rumors about the world's tallest loop, this might be another coaster focused on inversions.
1: Lightning Run, 2: El Toro, 3: Maverick, 4: Xcelerator, 5: Voyage, 6: TTD, 7: Gold Striker, 8: El Loco (Vegas), 9: Millennium Force, 10: Kingda Ka
Coaster Credits: 110 (89 steel, 21 wood); Last Coaster Credit: Raptor (CP) [8/22/14]; Last Park Credit: Waldameer [8/21/14]
What a season pass??

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby BlakeCoaster » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:23 am

Sir Clinksalot wrote:Just got back from our East Coast trip and there are probably 10 coasters that we rode this week that I'd trade every single coaster at SFMM to get.

Most of the people in our group had never traveled to ride coasters and were amazed at the sheer quality of rides like Intimidator 305, SkyRush, Storm Runner, El Toro, Phoenix, Lightning Racer, etc.

That's not really surprising. I mean it'd be great if we could all just cherry pick the great coasters we don't get to ride all the time, and trade them for the ones we do, at parks we visit regularly. But the fact of the matter is you visited 6 different parks to get on 6 different (and great) coasters. We just don't have that many parks on the West Coast, and really, no park in the world maintains such a large number of high caliber of coasters in one location.

This repeated notion that Magic Mountains collection of coasters just don't compare to other randomly picked ones at several different parks is getting stale and old.

The playground is where I spend most of my days

Postby UrbanLegend » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:37 am

BlakeCoaster wrote:...and really, no park in the world maintains such a large number of high caliber of coasters in one location...

Well, Hersheypark has three of the coasters he mentioned... :Pr
-Did you just say you have the right to be an attorney?
-Well, everyone has the right to be an attorney, if they want to.

I make music: https://tigercastle.bandcamp.com

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby BlakeCoaster » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:53 am

Yeah, somehow I overlooked that. Classic example of an entire post being reduced to a single fragment of a sentence.

But still, it doesn't make my point any less valid.

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:58 am

I was implying that I'd ship all 16 coasters at SFMM to KD for Intimidator. ;)

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Manic Monte » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:17 pm

^ Okay, that makes more sense. Intimidator is sensational, although I prefer Skyrush. Well let's see what SFMM's launch coaster has to offer. It may surprise us... :)

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:46 pm

^ Skyrush is amazing. If it had the same restraints as I305 it may be #1.

PreviousNext