The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 3508 - New SFMM Update! April 11th
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread!!!

Postby Mechanic » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:36 pm

I can't help but wonder if one train operations at seemingly illogical times have anything to do with encouraging Flash Pass sales. I know that in public we'd get a denial that any practice of the sort would be in play, but what happens behind closed doors in executive meetings about improving profitability and what's said in public are often two very different things. If the maintenance schedule can be manipulated to increase profitability on multiple fronts, then why wouldn't a savvy executive team do it? That is, as long as operations are not cut back to a level that discourages attendance, or at least doesn't discourage attendance to the point that increased Flash Pass revenues more than cover the loss in attendance. Or, more to the point, discourages attendance of those guests that spend the least in the park while not significantly affecting the attendance of those that spend the most. In this day and age of micro-analyzing every facet of clientele behavior and spending habits, I would imagine the people in the corporate offices know exactly where those balance points are at.

Every problem is a solution waiting to happen.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby SFMMMan17 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:55 pm

^You never know. Like I said earlier, every single ride was a walk on today, yet I waited an hour and a half for X2, it was only running one train... oh well, I luckily got assigned the front row. Anyway, considering I waited nothing for anything today, an hour and a half wait was torture :P. I'm sure families from out of town would consider spending the 50 bucks or so to ride the "Most Xtreme coaster on the planet," advertised as such.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:37 am

Thrillseeker321 wrote:I recently checked The Coaster Guy and he posted a picture of the Magic of the Mountain museum being gone can anyone confirm that is is officially gone? If so why would they remove it?

That's a bummer. It was one of the few good things about SFMM. A nice touch.
Last edited by Jew on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:42 am.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:57 am

^That's a bummer. The person who dedicated so much time to it and make it great just moved to a different Six Flags park so the timing does kind of make sense. As if they were waiting till he was gone to take it down to avoid drama. Ugh, really a shame.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:45 am

It does sound like Magic Mountain is doing some backsliding after a few years of improvement. The museum in the Sky Tower was a nice touch--I guess they just didn't want to dedicate any staff time to maintaining it?

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:34 am

Thrillseeker321 wrote:I recently checked The Coaster Guy and he posted a picture of the Magic of the Mountain museum being gone can anyone confirm that is is officially gone? If so why would they remove it?

That would be a bummer if true. All the little improvements over the last few years are slowly going away.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:30 am

Only got to see the museum one time, but it was really cool and was a well done display. Not surprised to hear it's gone, since current SFMM management seems to be returning the park to it's old ways. Ah well...

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Bitch Please!

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:53 am

^ Yup.

We didn't have passes from 2006-2008 and when we returned in 2009 it was really evident that the park was on the right path and doing a lot of really great things. It was more about the little touches.

Sadly now I'm starting to see many area's of the park reverting back to that 2002-2006 feeling and only concentrating on whatever is new.

DC Universe was (and still is) great, but it's just the little things that are starting to become big things.

Postby Wes » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:24 am

So a focus on adding a big new thrill ride every couple of years while ignoring and getting rid of almost everything else? Yep, sounds like SFMM to me!

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Reuschini » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Mechanic wrote:I can't help but wonder if one train operations at seemingly illogical times have anything to do with encouraging Flash Pass sales.

Yup, I've been saying this for years.

Not a doubt in my mind.

PreviousNext