TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Yeah, it seems like they didn't put too much effort into aftermath this year. Might be time to retire it (for a few years at least) and bring something else new for next year. The new "scare zone" (The shadows?) Is also pretty lame, kind of a shame as that space is pretty dark and the could of done a lot more with it. Hopefully with the opening of West Coast Racers we'll see some improvements to fright fest in that corner of the park.

My experience was related specifically to SFMM, but others post online with similar concerns for the "Membership Program" in general.

! DO NOT BUY SIX FLAGS MEMBERSHIP ONLINE !

I bought 5 of them almost 3 years ago.

You have to continue for the full 12 months paying each month, and then it renews month to month with a minimum 2 week cancellation notice. I was okay with that.

We went 2 or three times during the first year.

After the first year, I went to the "Membership Portal" to cancel. It was difficult... you needed your original receipt and you needed to register accounts for each card (5 in my case) before you could cancel. So, I thought... it is only $36 per month... maybe we will go back soon.

Fast forward to August of 2018 or almost $1000 later. I got serious about canceling. I stepped through a number of hoops and was told by the "Membership Portal" that I would get an email with the details I needed to submit my cancellation request. No email ever came. Add to this that my card on the membership EXPIRED about this time... but they just grabbed the new expiration date and KEPT ON BILLING!

I thought.. ok we have not been back in a long time, but maybe we can go around the first of October and after a last day.. we will cancel in person.

We did not get the chance to do that, so today I got serious.

I submitted the request again... no email.

I registered more accounts and suddenly, no cancellation option in my menu.

I clicked chat with agent... "No agents are available at this time."

I checked my bank statement and got the billing phone number and called it. I got a recording about park hours and if you have season pass questions, visit the website at....

So I filed charge disputes with my bank and a complaint with the BBB of Los Angeles.

I liked Six Flags before this, but now I will never visit again, and I am on a mission to help get the word out that you can get hooked. This is especially sad since people who mostly get burned by this are just looking to help their kids have a good time.

Shame on you Six Flags.

You happened upon Fright Fest on a good year. This is the first year the park has had real capital money for Fright Fest since 2014. Granted 2016 was supposed to be a big year with Aftermath 2, but the maze went wildly overbudget, wasn't completed, and flopped. Thankfully the Suicide Squad promotion via Warner Brothers was greenlit at the last minute.

I really enjoyed Aftermath 2 when it was launched. I just don't think Six Flags realized how much working with a creative firm actually costs (same company that did Dark Harbor). This year it very much was an afterthought.

You happened upon Fright Fest on a good year. This is the first year the park has had real capital money for Fright Fest since 2014. Granted 2016 was supposed to be a big year with Aftermath 2, but the maze went wildly overbudget, wasn't completed, and flopped. Thankfully the Suicide Squad promotion via Warner Brothers was greenlit at the last minute.

I really enjoyed Aftermath 2 when it was launched. I just don't think Six Flags realized how much working with a creative firm actually costs (same company that did Dark Harbor). This year it very much was an afterthought.

This was not the first foray into using a vendor for mazes at the park though, Willoughby's, Red's Revenge, and Vault 666 were all contracted mazes in the past.

The main issue that kneecapped Aftermath 2 was the construction of the old Batman stunt show sets at the new site. The park had to file city permits (and had issues with misdocumentation) to level out the ground slope and pour the foundations for the set pieces. The combination of the permitting issues and pouring the concrete late cascaded into the project being very late and wildly over budget. Also, MyCoToo really dropped the ball and didn't deliver on scenic items either...

This year the maze was practically an afterthought as originally the entire new area for West Coast Racers was supposed to be closed and there were initial talks of not having Aftermath operate for the year. However due to the loss of Chupacabra it was decided that the park couldn't justify contracting the event further. Aftermath has also dealt with staffing issues as well ever since it opened and the maze needs A LOT of staffing, which the park has continuously struggled with.

Overall though I think the park and Entertainment team really did learn some lessons from Aftermath 2 and we're seeing that in the well done execution of the 2.5 new mazes this year.

I checked my bank statement and got the billing phone number and called it. I got a recording about park hours and if you have season pass questions, visit the website at....

So I filed charge disputes with my bank and a complaint with the BBB of Los Angeles.

I liked Six Flags before this, but now I will never visit again, and I am on a mission to help get the word out that you can get hooked. This is especially sad since people who mostly get burned by this are just looking to help their kids have a good time.

Shame on you Six Flags.

When people are happy to buy a dirt-cheap season pass, remember there is a reason for that pass being cheap. SF is not known for quality operations/communications/user-friendliness. (This is not a SF vs CF thing, or the whole "CF is better" thing. It's just the truth. They have tip-top operations and high quality customer service; no the best but still very good.)

Perhaps with the new, more-expensive pass system, they will try to do something about the service. They have such potential. And great mentors with Cedar Fair (Knotts), primarily.

Edited by JT325

While I do find it annoying that you're directed to an online chat support system when you need to make changes to your pass, I've found them to be very helpful and I've had no issues cancelling or updating passes. The original receipt number thing is dumb but they make it easy for you to find it.

The way the World Series is going, looks like Revolution is getting a Red Sox retheme in the near future.

Does that count as a new credit?...lol

Six Flags Magic Mountain and its sister park Six Flags New England have placed a friendly wager on the upcoming World Series game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Boston Red Sox.

What’s a friendly wager between theme parks?

Magic Mountain will be rooting, naturally, for the Dodgers, six-time World Series Champions, as they take on the Red Sox in Boston.

If the Dodgers win the World Series title, Six Flags New England will change its wooden roller coaster, Thunderbolt, to Dodgers Thunderbolt for the opening weekend of their seasonal winter event, Holiday in the Park.

Six Flags New England’s park president, Pete Carmichael, will also don a Dodgers jersey during opening night of the holiday event, and the park will fly the Dodgers flag on top of their Scream tower.

If the Dodgers lose, Six Flags Magic Mountain will relate The New Revolution as “Red Sox Revolution” for Holiday in the Park’s opening weekend, and park president Neal Thurman will wear a Red Sox jersey on opening night. The park will also fly a Red Sox flag at the main gate plaza.

The opening pitch of the World Series is scheduled for tonight, Oct. 23, at 5:09 PT. To learn more about this friendly bet between theme parks, visit SixFlags.com.

Source: https://attractionsmagazine.com/six-flags-world-series-bet/

The way the World Series is going, looks like Revolution is getting a Red Sox retheme in the near future.

Six Flags Magic Mountain and its sister park Six Flags New England have placed a friendly wager on the upcoming World Series game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Boston Red Sox.

What’s a friendly wager between theme parks?

Magic Mountain will be rooting, naturally, for the Dodgers, six-time World Series Champions, as they take on the Red Sox in Boston.

If the Dodgers win the World Series title, Six Flags New England will change its wooden roller coaster, Thunderbolt, to Dodgers Thunderbolt for the opening weekend of their seasonal winter event, Holiday in the Park.

Six Flags New England’s park president, Pete Carmichael, will also don a Dodgers jersey during opening night of the holiday event, and the park will fly the Dodgers flag on top of their Scream tower.

If the Dodgers lose, Six Flags Magic Mountain will relate The New Revolution as “Red Sox Revolution” for Holiday in the Park’s opening weekend, and park president Neal Thurman will wear a Red Sox jersey on opening night. The park will also fly a Red Sox flag at the main gate plaza.

The opening pitch of the World Series is scheduled for tonight, Oct. 23, at 5:09 PT. To learn more about this friendly bet between theme parks, visit SixFlags.com.

Source: https://attractionsmagazine.com/six-flags-world-series-bet/

As much as I'd rather have the Red Sox win (Jackie Bradley Jr. is a down to Earth class act from my hometown Richmond, VA), the next 3 games will be held in LA, so this series can swing in the opposite direction very quickly. Go Braves, chop on! Watched the Braves play on my trip to CP back in August at Chickie and Pete's or whatever that place is called. The pitcher threw at Acuna and took him out of the game just because he is awesome! Ughhhh! Great tasting cheesesteaks made my anger go away and then I washed it down with a nice cold beer and a ride on Valravn in the rain.

Edit- my mistake, I forgot this was a SFMM thread and not CP. Can't wait for SFMM next year for the new ride!!!

Well thank the lord the Dodgers are 0-2 so far because anything with a Dodgers logo on it is trash to me.

I will GLADLY allow the BoSox to have their name on the Revolution coaster as such, because that way the only California Baseball team with the most current World Series title is the Anaheim Angels. With Studly Stud Man Mike Trout one can only hope they try to get him a ring before those low-lifes!

Well thank the lord the Dodgers are 0-2 so far because anything with a Dodgers logo on it is trash to me.

I will GLADLY allow the BoSox to have their name on the Revolution coaster as such, because that way the only California Baseball team with the most current World Series title is the Anaheim Angels. With Studly Stud Man Mike Trout one can only hope they try to get him a ring before those low-lifes!

1) Aren't you forgetting the 3 titles that the Giants have won?

2) Why the vitrol towards the Dodgers? I understand liking and disliking sports teams, but that's some pretty strong feelings right there...

So I wonder, now that fright fest is officially over, how fast do you think the decorations will disappear?

Most of the bigger scare zone props are taken down within the first two days. The rest takes a bit longer since the main focus is usually getting the big/obvious stuff out first. It's a bit harder now though since the park is open 365 and everything has to be done at night or very early in the morning. It was a true luxury getting to come into an empty park during the day to do all of the work...

So I wonder, now that fright fest is officially over, how fast do you think the decorations will disappear?

Most of the bigger scare zone props are taken down within the first two days. The rest takes a bit longer since the main focus is usually getting the big/obvious stuff out first. It's a bit harder now though since the park is open 365 and everything has to be done at night or very early in the morning. It was a true luxury getting to come into an empty park during the day to do all of the work...

That's what I was wondering, like if there was an overnight crew there to remove the Demon's Door and Nightmare Props last night since those are the two closest scare zones to the front of the park...

So I still plan on visiting Magic Mountain next year, likely for Fright Fest (I don't feel like walking around the park in the summer where it could break 100 degrees).

What is the recommended path of attack as far as the coasters go? And I do know that for Platinum Flash Pass, you only get one reservation for X2 and Twisted Colossus?

So I still plan on visiting Magic Mountain next year, likely for Fright Fest (I don't feel like walking around the park in the summer where it could break 100 degrees).

What is the recommended path of attack as far as the coasters go? And I do know that for Platinum Flash Pass, you only get one reservation for X2 and Twisted Colossus?

If you plan on getting the Platinum Flash Pass, you don't really need a plan of attack. You can basically do whatever you want, whenever you want.

My plan of attack would be to visit on a Friday and go on the coasters during the day before the park gets busy at night.