TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I’m going to laugh so hard if they just refurbish the area to adrenaline alley and change the name of Apocalypse to MaxxForce or west coast racer and call it a day. Looking on google maps there isn’t that much room back there, unless the ride goes around roaring rapids and ninja. I really hope this isn’t the case but just throwing it out there!

I’m going to laugh so hard if they just refurbish the area to adrenaline alley and change the name of Apocalypse to MaxxForce or west coast racer and call it a day. Looking on google maps there isn’t that much room back there, unless the ride goes around roaring rapids and ninja. I really hope this isn’t the case but just throwing it out there!

Probably the most realistic expectation

i'm keeping my expectations really low...as usual. i do expect a lot of new concrete. so i hope i don't get let down there!

The only reason I don’t think this is the case is because SFMM won’t have anything to really market with a new land and a name change on apocalypse. As Robb said before it has to be the spinniest, whateverest for them to invest in it. At the same time they could throw a new theme on apocalypse, add a name change, add some water effects and market it as the worlds first wooden liquid coaster. After they marketed the worlds first virtual loop on Justice League, absolutely nothing is off the table!

The only reason I don’t think this is the case is because SFMM won’t have anything to really market with a new land and a name change on apocalypse. As Robb said before it has to be the spinniest, whateverest for them to invest in it. At the same time they could throw a new theme on apocalypse, add a name change, add some water effects and market it as the worlds first wooden liquid coaster. After they marketed the worlds first virtual loop on Justice League, absolutely nothing is off the table!

Where is the virtual loop on Justice League lol?

And the water effects would work for the first two months then never again! XD

Just thought; one of those Mack skyrocket 2 style spinner....even tho it would probably be fun I think it would be dumb, especially for a milestone coaster (#20) BUT it's totally Six Flags and fit right where those buildings were demoed AND fit all the rumors.....Mack, 1st, Lauch, Spinner, Cheap

Can I post that?

Just thought; one of those Mack skyrocket 2 style spinner....even tho it would probably be fun I think it would be dumb, especially for a milestone coaster (#20) BUT it's totally Six Flags and fit right where those buildings were demoed AND fit all the rumors.....Mack, 1st, Lauch, Spinner, Cheap

Can I post that?

Honestly man, you may have hit it right on the nose. I think this makes perfect sense and hits all of the rumors and fits the Six Flags bill, a world’s first. In fact my choice for the area due to space was a S&S 4D free spin but they wouldn’t do that because of X2. My money is on this concept.

Can I post that?

Tell him what's he's won, Pat!

Can I post that?

Honestly man, you may have hit it right on the nose. I think this makes perfect sense and hits all of the rumors and fits the Six Flags bill, a world’s first. In fact my choice for the area due to space was a S&S 4D free spin but they wouldn’t do that because of X2. My money is on this concept.

Though something this size and smaller budget is right up SF alley, MM tends to be more braggadocious than the rest of the chain. I feel like their 20th coaster would be something bigger than a ride intended for cloning. I could be wrong, but I'm banking on something more customized for the park.

So hopefully this winter (December or January), I'll get off my ass at make it to Magic Mountain.

I figure that crowds won't be that big in the winter, so a Flash Pass will NOT likely be needed.

What are some good hotels nearby? Specifically, ones that offer a shuttle to and from the park?

As as for the coasters, well . . . is there a so called "magic seat" for Viper? And X2, inner or outer seat?

So hopefully this winter (December or January), I'll get off my A$$ at make it to Magic Mountain.

I figure that crowds won't be that big in the winter, so a Flash Pass will NOT likely be needed.

What are some good hotels nearby? Specifically, ones that offer a shuttle to and from the park?

As as for the coasters, well . . . is there a so called "magic seat" for Viper? And X2, inner or outer seat?

With Viper the magic seat I believe is supposed to be the first row on the last car, but in my experience it's painful no matter where I sit. I've retired from riding Viper.

For X2, outer is almost always rougher than inner, and the bigger you are, the rougher it is likely to be. X2 is worth the abuse though, especially for that first drop, which for my money is the best first coaster drop in the world.

Crowds will definitely be light in January, but if you're made of money and want to be lazy, on some days there may still be a small advantage as some rides may be on one train ops due to off-peak-season maintenance creating longer than usual waits. That kind of thing is more common in the winter.

The closest hotel to the park is Hilton Garden Inn right across the street, it's the only one that's roughly walking distance. I think they still offer a shuttle, but I find it much more convenient to drive so you can easily leave the park and come back in the middle of the day. There are a handful of other nice hotels a few minutes farther away, there are quite a few within about 5 minutes drive of the park.

I see you're coming from Maryland - I will be out in your neck of the woods for the first time end of sept/beginning of oct. If you have any of this kind of info for me for SFGadv or Hersheypark, PM me! Planning on doing SFGA on Sunday 10/1 and Hershey on Saturday 9/30 unless other things force me to mix it up.

With Viper the magic seat I believe is supposed to be the first row on the last car, but in my experience it's painful no matter where I sit. I've retired from riding Viper.

Really? Someone earlier was also saying Apocalypse was rough.

I found both of those rides to be very smooth, I was braced for pain on Viper and got off amazed at how smooth it was for an old Arrow.

I suppose i'm from the UK where we have actually rough rides like The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley and Grand National at Blackpool Pleasure Beach though.

Really? Someone earlier was also saying Apocalypse was rough.

I found both of those rides to be very smooth, I was braced for pain on Viper and got off amazed at how smooth it was for an old Arrow.

I suppose i'm from the UK where we have actually rough rides like The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley and Grand National at Blackpool Pleasure Beach though.

It depends on your shape. I'm kinda tall, and the OTS restraints on Viper are really rough on my shoulders. If I ride it late in the day it's more unpleasant, I could ride it earlier, but then my shoulders are sore the rest of the day, so I just don't ride it. I know lots of people that don't mind it though.

Apocalypse is kinda rough, but not out of hand, it doesn't cause any pain that lasts after you get off of the ride, it's just not comfortable. X2 will bruise my calves from slamming them against the seat during the final raven turn, but that only bothers me when I'm on the ride.

The only other ride that can be painful is Green Lantern, if you get a car unbalanced just right and come down the drops face down it can really feel like it's going to rip your face off.

Other than that nothing at SFMM is truly bad. The roughest rides I've experienced overall are Desperado at Buffalo Bill's in Primm, NV and Mean Streak at Cedar Point was the worst, which thankfully is no more. I almost wish I could have ridden Psyclone once for comparison. I only got to ride it's trains when they were used on Colossus. (Anyone know where those trains are now? Anyone using them?)

It's entirely subjective. I love Apocalypse and Viper, but X2 and Green Lantern are the worst coasters I've ever ridden in my entire life (no exaggeration).

That is the nicest think you have ever said about X2 Bill!

Also just as an FYI, Revolution, Ninja, and Batman are all running only one train right now due to maintenance. They’re a little behind due to the 365 day operation of the park this year, but they’re trying.

I hate reading things like this. The park made the choice to go to year round operations. They clearly did not also make the choice to adjust the rest of their operations accordingly.