TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

At the park. TC is closed today.

it's been posted on the website at least for a few days now.

Someone asked earlier, so I was just confirming it for them.

yeah, i posted yesterday, or the day before. did you see goliath get evac'd today? curious if it was wind related. got stuck on the mid course "stop" lol

I ran across this old video of super Dave doing a " risky stunt" at magic mountain.

This video is hillarious.

i remember seeing that. hilarious.

Bwahaha, loved it. I was thinking at the end it would be hilarious if went around again with the doctor, I got my wish.

ok.. so we were looking at Dollywood this year, but the financials aren't adding up.

so instead, we're now considering a Late May trip to Six Flags Magic Mountain.

can someone spot check me and make sure I'm factoring in things, or flag if something is very off?

We have Six Flags passes thru Fiesta Texas, so we get admission to Magic Mountain.

-- Days in Park: 2 (is that going to be enough? or should we plan 3 days as we're 1st time visitors to this place).

-- Airport: Fly into Burbank airport (that seems to be way closer than LAX, and we really are not planning on going into L.A. . the trip would be for Magic Mountain, or anything else close to that area/Valencia)

-- Hotel: Comfort Suites Near Six Flags Magic Mountain

(a little less than the Courtyard Marriott we prefer, but this one is noted on the Magic Mountain Six Flags site, and says it's less than 4 miles form the park). Seems close enough that Taxi is likely cheaper than paying for parking at Magic Mountain?

-- we'll be renting car at the airport (unless end up shuttling to hotel, but seems the rental care is the cheaper way, and that way we can get around if we want to after returning from park).

so what do y'all think? any suggestions, advice, things I have 'incorrect" above?

we had originally planned for a week.. but with the shift to Magic Mountain. . we're looking at a Mon flight, in park Tues, Wed, then head back home on Thurs.

but since we have Season Passes, can easily add Thursday as additional day in park, or to do anything in the area, and then fly home on Friday.

opinions?

thanks

bert

ok.. so we were looking at Dollywood this year, but the financials aren't adding up.

so instead, we're now considering a Late May trip to Six Flags Magic Mountain.

can someone spot check me and make sure I'm factoring in things, or flag if something is very off?

We have Six Flags passes thru Fiesta Texas, so we get admission to Magic Mountain.

-- Days in Park: 2 (is that going to be enough? or should we plan 3 days as we're 1st time visitors to this place).

-- Airport: Fly into Burbank airport (that seems to be way closer than LAX, and we really are not planning on going into L.A. . the trip would be for Magic Mountain, or anything else close to that area/Valencia)

-- Hotel: Comfort Suites Near Six Flags Magic Mountain

(a little less than the Courtyard Marriott we prefer, but this one is noted on the Magic Mountain Six Flags site, and says it's less than 4 miles form the park). Seems close enough that Taxi is likely cheaper than paying for parking at Magic Mountain?

-- we'll be renting car at the airport (unless end up shuttling to hotel, but seems the rental care is the cheaper way, and that way we can get around if we want to after returning from park).

so what do y'all think? any suggestions, advice, things I have 'incorrect" above?

we had originally planned for a week.. but with the shift to Magic Mountain. . we're looking at a Mon flight, in park Tues, Wed, then head back home on Thurs.

but since we have Season Passes, can easily add Thursday as additional day in park, or to do anything in the area, and then fly home on Friday.

opinions?

thanks

bert

While I'm not a regular at the park (I don't live in SoCal any more), I have enough familiarity to answer these questions.

-First, 2 days should be more than enough. Schools are still in session, and everything *should* be two train operation (though this is SFMM, so I could be wrong). Just be on the lookout for school groups. Still, even with field trips, all of my late May visits (and I've done many) have been very manageable.

-Burbank is definitely the airport that you want, good choice.

-I've never stayed in a hotel (my parents live 30 minutes away), so I can't comment on that. However, driving versus taxi is something I'll comment on next.

-Renting a car is a good option, especially in LA. I believe that parking is free at all Six Flags parks with the gold level pass (though I could be wrong, more knowledgeable people can correct me), so that cost won't be an issue.

You seem to have this pretty well planned out. SFMM can be disappointing vis a vis operations and rides being up. However, at this point in the season, you should find a fairly well running park with manageable crowds. When it goes well, Magic Mountain is a great experience. Have fun, and I'll now defer to people with more familiarity with the park.

^^ Gold pass includes free parking at every 6 flags park.

cool. thanks to you and Doug for the feedback.

Looks like I might be making the trip alone a little later in the year, so filing this plan away -- just before I booked, I got the feedback that he *really* wanted to do a vacation that we'd both enjoy, and if Dollywood was off the table due to cost, he wanted to go someplace we'd never been even if no theme park involved. So didn't get the flight to CA and instead was able to quickly put together a trip to Niagara Falls.

honestly, as quickly as the pieces fell into place (cheap flight, car rental, and hotel booking in Ontario), it was meant to be, I guess.

so I'll plan to do a weekend trip out to CA for Magic Mountain solo at some point later in the summer, or maybe even October, since Magic Mountain is year round now.

If you really wanted to do it on a budget, you could fly into burbank and take metrolink to Santa Clarita and use uber/lyft from there.

It's always good to price compare the rates between uber and lyft when you're ready to take them. Sometimes either one will run a promotion to compete with the other and you can save 25%.

so I'll plan to do a weekend trip out to CA for Magic Mountain solo at some point later in the summer, or maybe even October, since Magic Mountain is year round now.

west coast bash, done. need another day? monday after wcb in september. ghost town

west coast bash, done. need another day? monday after wcb in september. ghost town

oooo. . good ideas!

and I *do* have a couple of vacation days left. . so monday after WCB might be the perfect day. . . hmmm

I just cringe at this guy's b*itching about his trip to SFMM today (3/19) and talking about what he doesn't know. And he claims to be a roller coaster junkie. He's part of the 'Park Bros' team on Facebook. Sorry in advance if you're a member on here, but this video was brutal.

I just cringe at this guy's b*itching about his trip to SFMM today (3/19) and talking about what he doesn't know. And he claims to be a roller coaster junkie. He's part of the 'Park Bros' team on Facebook. Sorry in advance if you're a member on here, but this video was brutal.

Park Bros?

So repost the link here and give the douche more hits.

greatjob.gif.3f03cbc82539ae60e828a2c078af0779.gif

don't they have like 17 other coasters, not to mention to the flats?

so . . . what to do when Twisted Colossus is closed?

ride something else. you're at a freaking theme park, instead of sitting at work, or at home in your bedroom.

stop bitching and enjoy yourself, of just go home.

When I went to Magic Mountain on March 8th, Twisted Colossus was closed and almost every coaster was running one train, but I still had a fantastic day. In fact, it was one of the best days I’ve had at the park, mostly because I think my expectations were in the right place. I knew rides would be running one train to save on maintenance costs, and I even knew TC would be closed that day (believe I saw it on Instagram).

Everything is about expectations...

When I went to Magic Mountain on March 8th, Twisted Colossus was closed and almost every coaster was running one train, but I still had a fantastic day. In fact, it was one of the best days I’ve had at the park, mostly because I think my expectations were in the right place. I knew rides would be running one train to save on maintenance costs, and I even knew TC would be closed that day (believe I saw it on Instagram).

Everything is about expectations...

i keep my expectations extremely low when it comes to magic mountain. still, they surprise me from time to time.