Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

P. 71: Indiana Beach announces Larson Super Loop
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun May 28, 2017 2:41 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:My feelings on the park were mixed. The park's location and ride selection is fantastic. However, the number of closed or broken attractions were frustrating. This park has the potential to be special if those can be remedied

That's pretty much how I feel about it too. It's a really fun park, and the frustrations are minor, but there are just so many minor frustrations throughout the day that it adds up. The giant positive that is Fascination balances those negatives, but it does leave you with a less than glowing impression. If they can improve ride reliability and get every ride open on time, this park would be fantastic.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby JT325 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:03 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:My feelings on the park were mixed. The park's location and ride selection is fantastic. However, the number of closed or broken attractions were frustrating. This park has the potential to be special if those can be remedied

As a fan who's been going to IB since 1990, it's been pretty much heartbreaking to watch the perfect little park on the lake go down the tubes. It was a family owned park for something like 8 decades. When the park opened in 2009 under new ownership, the fall was fast...

Imagine all those rides running perfectly, at full capacity. A live band playing by the restaurant. Happy people everywhere. It was a guaranteed good time to go to IB. I always thought it was a smaller version of Knoebels, but on the lake. In some ways, even better. I used to go 2 or 3 times a year. Many times, my friends and I chose to drive the 3 hours to IB instead of the 45 minutes to SFGAmerica.

Morgan (who purchased IB in 2008 before driving it straight into the ground) sold the park a couple years ago, and it seems the new owners/management (who I heard used to be Six Flags folks!?? that would help explain the condition of operations) just aren't cutting it.

So many of us would LOVE if the Kochs of Holiday World got ahold of it. I just hope there is a bright future for the park. It was perfect for decades.
Last edited by JT325 on Sun May 28, 2017 11:20 am.
#CPFrontierLift2019

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Sun May 28, 2017 11:09 am

I went before the new ownership bought the park, and quite enjoyed my day there! (It was also before Steel Hawg, unfortunately...) It sounds like it's not the same park as it was then, sadly... :( Cornball Express is still one of my favorite wooden coasters! That thing was so unexpectedly NUTS!!! :lmao:
Top 10 Coasters! 1.Fury 2.Millennium Force 3.Maverick 4.The Voyage 5. Lightning Rod 6.Storm Chaser 7.El Toro 8.Phantom's Revenge 9. Goliath (SFGAm) 10. Ravine Flyer II Honorable Mentions: Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby djcoastermark » Sun May 28, 2017 11:16 am

I have never been to IB, but it sounds like it was a really cool park, and still does really. However, as I always say with these smaller parks, Go, Visit, spend money there, and most of all, enjoy the place for what it is. Who knows how long they will be around before getting torn down and turned into condos or some other silliness. The list of parks now gone in the last 25 years is staggering.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby JT325 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:25 am

djcoastermark wrote:I have never been to IB, but it sounds like it was a really cool park, and still does really. However, as I always say with these smaller parks, Go, Visit, spend money there, and most of all, enjoy the place for what it is. Who knows how long they will be around before getting torn down and turned into condos or some other silliness. The list of parks now gone in the last 25 years is staggering.

YES! Thank you for saying that. This is one reason I go to Conneaut every chance I get. I was never there in it's heyday, but I believe the park can bounce back eventually. Not to mention having a classic coaster with classic rolling stock - that style is sadly disappearing way to fast. And I thought the early 90s was bad for parks and coasters when it came to "upgrades."

I'm having a hypocritical thought, to be honest. I'm all YEAH, go to the small parks. But I really don't want to go back to IB until I know - at a minimum - all the rides will be functional. I haven't ridden Lost Coaster in YEARS. I loved that ride. Even when Morgan RV got the ride open, it would only run one train. When it was new, it had 3 trains. The second train on Hurricane has been in pieces for years.. and Tig'ger only runs 2(!!!?) cars these days.
#CPFrontierLift2019

Postby Philrad71 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:31 am

^^ Completely agree and that's just what we did!

Luckily, all of the coasters were open during our visit so we got to ride all of those - some without any wait at all. I think that there were only a couple of rides not operating....the train, the flyers and the 1001 Nachts-like ride (which was literally in pieces).

Really hope that the park can get things turned around before it's too late.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Location: Outside Six Flags Great America Waiting For Opening Day

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:23 am

I'll going up to Monticello Tuesday night to Thursday this week with a couple friends and we will be going the park Wednesday. None of my friends have ever been to the park so I already told them that there's a chance not all the rides will be open. We're probably explore Monticello Thursday before we head home.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Stealth2k » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:09 am

When is the best time to visit this place. I was going to go their on a thursday night in a few weeks and then trip over to Holiday World the next day. Does anyone know if they are still closing rides randomly because I'm hoping I can at least get on Cornball Express and Steel Hawg. Thanks!
Top 10: 1) Maverick 2) Storm Chaser 3) Millennium Force 4) Diamond Back 5) Lightning Run 6) Banshee 7) The Voyage 8) Mystic Timbers 9) Raging Bull 10) Goliath (SGam)

Top 5 Parks: 1) Cedar Point 2) Kentucky Kingdom 3) Holiday World 4) Kings Island 5) Six Flags Great America

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:14 pm

I would highly recommend doing the coasters in the order of priority in case any close for whatever reason. I'd recommend Cornball first, then Steel Hawg, then Hoosier Hurricane. Lost Coaster only has one 8 person train so that line is going to move painstakingly slow (full queue is an hour wait). It could very well break down but it's super fun. Due to the line, I'd save it after you've gotten on all the other coasters.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby BryanRph » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:11 am

20170714_183058.jpg
IB uses nearly every inch of available space!
I went to Indiana Beach yesterday for the first time and wanted to share some pics of this gorgeous little park. I often felt like IN was more a high-end fair midway rather than a theme park, but with a couple good coasters thrown in. That's not a bad thing, as we had fun all day, but there were several odd things I've not seen anywhere else. Ride capacity was low on many rides and, as others have mentioned, ride maintenance seems like a challenge.

The coasters:
Dragon Wagon is terrible. Kiddie coasters aren't supposed to hurt. Tig'rr is a fun throwback. Lost Coaster is really unique and fun. Hoosier Hurricane has a classic wood coaster feel and looks great as it spans almost the whole park. Cornball is excellent for its small space. I love how it shares support structure with the Hurricane. Steel Hawg is also a fun, compact coaster with maybe the fastest lift hill I've ever seen!

Flats:
A lot of classics that are made special by unique placement over the lake. Even the antique cars drive mostly over the water. They are clearly out of space, which made some ride locations seem haphazard, but the park is small enough that backtracking isn't a big deal. The magic carpet ride was a highlight, as I hadn't ridden one of those in a long time. Several flats didn't run all day :/

Pictures:
20170714_110230.jpg
Gorgeous view greeting us as we cross the bridge from the south parking lot
20170714_182924.jpg
Hoosier Hurricane diving to the water
20170714_182116.jpg
Lost Coaster over the lake
20170714_165609.jpg
Now it's Cornball's turn to go swimming
20170714_150029.jpg
Cornball Express gets a regular soaking from the log flume
20170714_124844.jpg
Steel Hawg from a distance
20170714_130339.jpg
Steel Hawg break run
20170714_123512.jpg
The back coils of Tig'rr
20170714_114957.jpg
Tig'rr fits a lot of track in a small space!
20170714_144635.jpg
I love how some flats are out on the lake
20170714_162637.jpg
A cloudy view of Steel Hawg
20170714_132353.jpg
Hoosier Hurricane's lift
20170714_144705.jpg
The lift hills of hurricane and cornball share space nicely

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!