TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

Assuming these are new trains for Roller Coaster, any idea how much testing they'll need to go through? I'm guessing we can rule it out for opening weekend if they're still sitting in a pavilion.

Lagoon doesn't seem to prioritize having things ready for opening weekend, but I still don't think it's impossible. While these trains aren't even ready for testing, word is that another train was in a much more complete state in a different pavilion a few weeks ago. They could have been testing with that train already. When I went to the park they had lifts up to the western turn of Roller Coaster and 2 guys up there walking back and forth checking out the track. That doesn't mean much, but I think there is a possibility it could run opening weekend with one train. It is of course also possible that it won't be running for months. With Lagoon nobody (who's willing to say so) knows.

Assuming these are new trains for Roller Coaster, any idea how much testing they'll need to go through? I'm guessing we can rule it out for opening weekend if they're still sitting in a pavilion.

Lagoon doesn't seem to prioritize having things ready for opening weekend, but I still don't think it's impossible. While these trains aren't even ready for testing, word is that another train was in a much more complete state in a different pavilion a few weeks ago. They could have been testing with that train already. When I went to the park they had lifts up to the western turn of Roller Coaster and 2 guys up there walking back and forth checking out the track. That doesn't mean much, but I think there is a possibility it could run opening weekend with one train. It is of course also possible that it won't be running for months. With Lagoon nobody (who's willing to say so) knows.

I would disagree that Lagoon doesn't try to have new rides open on opening day.

Since I've attended opening days for 21 years now, Rocket Catapult, Spider, Dragonfly, Kontiki, Bat, Dino Drop, Lady Bug Bop, OdySea, Jumping Dragon, and BomBora were all open and operating on Opening Day.

Wild Mouse, Red Rock Rally, and Tipsey Tea Cups were held up in Customs longer than expected, and thus all opened 3 weeks later. Air Race was Zamperla's fault, due to the fact they neglected to schedule one of their electricians to commission the ride for Lagoon's Opening weekend. Wicked had weldment issues on the columns and had to be disassembled more than twice, re-manufactured, re-painted, and re-assembled, and Cannibal was due to it being a one of a kind ride and Lagoon being a first time ride manufacturer. Not sure about Flying Tigers and Ruka Safari, but being from Zamperla, it was probably customs again.

From a mechanical stand point, in regards to new trains, it's like it's a new ride, as Millennium Flyers are not a straight across vehicle replacement from the same manufacturer. Everything from brakes, lift speed, etc. has to be calibrated and programmed from nothing. The only programming that might remain the same is the whole transfer sequence.

Once someone witnesses one of the new trains operating, I would imagine it could take up to 4 weeks before it passes the Maintenance and S&S Inspections and is handed over to the operations department for training, and then maybe up to 2 more weeks until it opens to the public.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know when the park is planning to get the rollercoaster re-open? I'll be there Sunday April 14th. Hoping it is!
It usually takes Roller Coaster 3-4 Weeks from first runs to open. They haven't sent a train through the system yet, so it would be a darn near miracle for it to open by the 14th.

Does anyone know when the park is planning to get the rollercoaster re-open? I'll be there Sunday April 14th. Hoping it is!
It usually takes Roller Coaster 3-4 Weeks from first runs to open. They haven't sent a train through the system yet, so it would be a darn near miracle for it to open by the 14th.

I hear there's a chance, though certainly not a guarantee that this particular darn miracle might just come true. Oh, and also, here's something:

I hear there's a chance, though certainly not a guarantee that this particular darn miracle might just come true. Oh, and also, here's something:

I myself hope for a miracle, but the park stated weeks, not months. That gives them another up to 8 weeks to be accurate.

Anyone going to the park this weekend (7th - 8th)? I'm considering going Saturday, but I don't wanna be alone! I'd love to meet some fellow Utahn TPR peeps.

Didn't you say you're buying a one-day pass one time before you start working there? If you won't have a season pass for a few months you might do better to wait until the following weekend. There's going to be a lot more of us there that weekend because there's a rumor that an unnamed roller coaster could be opening then... and this rumor isn't coming from some facebook post about 'weeks not months'. Of course, there can always be unforseen complications, which is why there's no official date.

Anyone going to the park this weekend (7th - 8th)? I'm considering going Saturday, but I don't wanna be alone! I'd love to meet some fellow Utahn TPR peeps.

Didn't you say you're buying a one-day pass one time before you start working there? If you won't have a season pass for a few months you might do better to wait until the following weekend. There's going to be a lot more of us there that weekend because there's a rumor that an unnamed roller coaster could be opening then... and this rumor isn't coming from some facebook post about 'weeks not months'. Of course, there can always be unforseen complications, which is why there's no official date.

I actually may not work at the park after all. I got offered a better, more valuable job that pays almost twice as much that I couldn’t pass up. I’m a little bummed, but I’ll still be working in SLC so I’ll still visit Lagoon almost every weekend in the summer, therefore I am planning on getting a season pass.

I actually may not work at the park after all. I got offered a better, more valuable job that pays almost twice as much that I couldn’t pass up. I’m a little bummed, but I’ll still be working in SLC so I’ll still visit Lagoon almost every weekend in the summer, therefore I am planning on getting a season pass.

Some of the Lagoon is Fun peeps will be there but I don't know if any of the 3 or 4 peeps who post on TPR will be there. I'll be there the next Saturday most likely.

I'm liking the colors of the new trains. I was expecting the same red as the old trains, but I like this better I think:

The color of the logo makes it look like a roller skater for some reason.
That's been Lagoon's Logo since 1/1/90, however, I prefer the alternate colors that were sometimes used, where Red was used instead of pink, but I've always liked the symbols in the letters.....except when the LAB "O" is installed upside down in terraces.

Roller Coaster opened today! I was on the very first public train, and Taylor (from Coaster Studios) and I were lucky enough to grab the back seat! The new trains are very form fitting and comfortable (as expected from Millennium Flyers), but the coaster itself really feels no different. In terms of smoothness, speed, and airtime, it’s the exact same as the previous version.

But the whole station revamp and entrance/exit swap is much better, and I’m glad the new trains hold just as many as the old ones, so capacity is not sacrificed (unlike GhostRider). Overall two big thumbs up from me. They were running only the blue train today, but hopefully the red one will get cycled in soon as well.

Roller Coaster opened today! I was on the very first public train, and Taylor (from Coaster Studios) and I were lucky enough to grab the back seat! The new trains are very form fitting and comfortable (as expected from Millennium Flyers), but the coaster itself really feels no different. In terms of smoothness, speed, and airtime, it’s the exact same as the previous version.

But the whole station revamp and entrance/exit swap is much better, and I’m glad the new trains hold just as many as the old ones, so capacity is not sacrificed (unlike GhostRider). Overall two big thumbs up from me. They were running only the blue train today, but hopefully the red one will get cycled in soon as well.

I rode on the third or fourth train. If you rode in the back of the first train then linearinduction was in line in front of you and I came up and talked to him briefly 4 minutes before 4pm. I personally thought it seemed a bit slow (though I was in the second row), much smoother, noticeably more banked in a few places including the bottom of the first drop, and way more comfortable seat/restraint wise. I really liked the history stuff in the station.

I'm interested to see if Lagoon/GCI start talking about it soon, now that it's open and all.

I now know who you are thrillseeker4552! [emoji14] I was in row 9 or 10, and I experienced no airtime where it used to be on the double ups and double downs, where there used to be ejector...not even floater. I would also say the ride feels totally different. I didn't time it, but will tomorrow, as it used to be 2 minutes from Dispatch to Reduction, but felt slower. For those of us who have known this coaster from riding it for 31 years and operating it for 4 years, she definitely isn't the same. Love the new queue, exit, artwork, and station....but the MCC just seems out of place to me. The Custom GCII Trains (Management is adamant the GCI Manual doesn't refer to them as Millennium Flyers) tracked great and were comfy, lap bars and seats, but not as comfy as the Timberliners I've been on. I am hoping once the new trains are properly broken in, she will fly and deliver the airtime back to us. Glad to hear the back row didn't disappoint! These are all my opinions, of course.

^I can agree that there is less airtime, but I attribute that to the fact that the GCI lap bars hold you in tightly, whereas the old PTC lap bars often sat pretty far off the lap, so any airtime was more pronounced.

I was initially a little skeptical about GCI trains on this thing, but after riding three times yesterday, I'm a big fan. Those old trains were falling apart, and even if a little airtime is sacrificed, the trains are super comfortable and a more roomy and open than those old PTCs. The public also seemed to really like it from what I could tell.

As for the rest of the park, Cannibal is still totally fantastic. The more I ride it, the more I love it. The first drop is completely ridiculous, and the "Lagoon roll" is so unique and full of hang time. Colossus is also running like a dream, and even though I've never been the biggest fan of Wicked, the first half is still really solid. Excited to come here all summer!

With them being new trains, I somewhat expect it to get as fast as it used to be like how Stormchaser's end used to be a crawl, but now it zips through the end.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk