TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

Man, I must have had several good rides on it then. I love that coaster. Sit in the back seat, keep the lap bar a little loose, and because of the lack of seat belts, you get totally thrown over every hill. There’s even a couple great double downs in the layout that are excellent in the back seat. And for its age, it’s incredibly smooth as well.

I did not find Roller Coaster to be exciting when I rode it in 2016. I do not remember any air to speak of. I remember hitting the side of the car hard on one of the turns. I can't imagine new trains ruining a ride that is pretty much unforgettable.

I'm guessing you mean forgettable.

Yes, I meant forgettable.

Of course. my opinion is going to differ from locals that have an emotional attachment. Just like I feel differently about the Cyclone at Coney Island than many one time riders.

I did not find Roller Coaster to be exciting when I rode it in 2016. I do not remember any air to speak of. I remember hitting the side of the car hard on one of the turns. I can't imagine new trains ruining a ride that is pretty much unforgettable.

I'm guessing you mean forgettable.

Yes, I meant forgettable.

Of course. my opinion is going to differ from locals that have an emotional attachment. Just like I feel differently about the Cyclone at Coney Island than many one time riders.

For locals, it doesn't have the cleanest record anyway. It is overall rough and loud on the turns, has barely any floater airtime, (and only in certain seats,) and is known for its age more than its rideability. New trains will make it at least a smooth, classic ride.

Although most of the track has been redone over the last ten years at most, it still has the old and rickety stigma.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...
Interesting.

In other words, I'm officially hired on Lagoon to be a ride op this summer! If I end up taking the job (this is my "plan B" job), catch me at Rocket, Air Race, Sky Ride, or Jet Star starting in May!

Congrats! There's speculation that this shipment could actually be for the lift on Rattlesnake Rapids. It looks like another shipment arrived 2 weeks later, but we're not sure what was in it yet. We also got a hint on instagram yesterday that something is going down with Dracula's Castle. It's probably best for you not to talk about this stuff publicly with your new job though.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor is that small but noticeable changes are being made to Roller Coaster beyond getting the new trains. If they're going to go that far I hope they give it a damn name too.

Is anyone familiar with opening weekend crowds? It just so happens that the Sunday of opening weekend this year is also Easter Sunday. Is the park usually busy on Easter? Thanks in advance.

I think there's an Easter egg hunt and that might draw some people but I think opening weekend is mostly season pass holders. Most people aren't thinking about Lagoon quite yet, what reason would they have to do so? It will probably be relatively unbusy, but there will be people. Weather could empty out the park if it's too bad.

I heard Cannibal might not be ready for opening, and with the changes to Roller Coaster it might not either. I Think it'll be nice and uncrowded, but everything might not be up and running if last year is any indication. You might want to check reports from opening day if you don't wanna spend $60 on a bunch of closed rides.

Sunday has traditionally been pretty empty since there's a bunch people who won't go that day, but this seems to be changing lately.

I heard Cannibal might not be ready for opening, and with the changes to Roller Coaster it might not either. I Think it'll be nice and uncrowded, but everything might not be up and running if last year is any indication. You might want to check reports from opening day if you don't wanna spend $60 on a bunch of closed rides.

Sunday has traditionally been pretty empty since there's a bunch people who won't go that day, but this seems to be changing lately.

Thanks for more information. Maybe I'll wait and go the following weekend instead. I just figured Easter Sunday would have lighter crowds than usual.

Crowd levels on opening day depend totally on the weather. When it was in the 70s on opening day a couple years ago, the crowds we're so big the park stayed open an extra hour and Season Pass Processing went on an additional hour after park closing. If I remember correctly, the park processed more than 5,000 passes that day alone.

Costco will have the best GAD Ticket Price, as always, so you can save at least 20% that way.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The new trains for Roller Coaster are at the park. They're said to be red and blue millennium flyers. Roller Coaster's barely-banked turns may have been banked a little more to support the trains better. There may be a station revamp happening too. There's no real evidence to suggest it, but just maybe with all these changes the ride might get a more unique name.

The new trains for Roller Coaster are at the park. They're said to be red and blue millennium flyers. Roller Coaster's barely-banked turns may have been banked a little more to support the trains better. There may be a station revamp happening too. There's no real evidence to suggest it, but just maybe with all these changes the ride might get a more unique name.
They've been there for a while, so I've heard. The revamped station has always been talked about in regards to new trains as well.

Very interesting. Those PTCs were in rough shape, but I loved the airtime the lack of seatbelts gave in the back car.

I wonder if these are full-length 12-car Millennium Flyers or shorter versions like InvadR or White Lightning. I’m very curious to see how this works out...

Very interesting. Those PTCs were in rough shape, but I loved the airtime the lack of seatbelts gave in the back car.

I wonder if these are full-length 12-car Millennium Flyers or shorter versions like InvadR or White Lightning. I’m very curious to see how this works out...

I don't know the specifics but I would be really surprised if Lagoon opted for seat belts. Are they required on Millennium Flyers? Fire Dragon, Wicked and Cannibal make do with only lap bars so I'd think Roller Coaster can too.

I don't know the specifics but I would be really surprised if Lagoon opted for seat belts. Are they required on Millennium Flyers? Fire Dragon, Wicked and Cannibal make do with only lap bars so I'd think Roller Coaster can too.

There are a few GCIs without seatbelts. I know InvadR, Wicker Man, and Wodan (among others) don’t have them. I agree and doubt the Lagoon will, but the Millennium Flyer lap bars hold you in much tighter and “staple” more than the current PTC trains do. That’s what I was getting at.

I took some pix from the Lagoon trail today and I'm wondering if anybody can identify what's in them. I don't know if the thing under wraps is the same thing with the headrests that's hidden behind upside-down picnic tables. They were in the same pavilion. I don't recognize the headrests as belonging to anything at Lagoon. They look too round to be from Colossus and they don't have holes like Roller Coaster's.

hellothere.thumb.jpg.7919fcfc76770ca666d0408ccb9c6ec4.jpg

whatisthis.thumb.jpg.d1d0f760580891f6bbc3a2a8de0e206d.jpg

I was able to find a couple more clues in the photos I took.

headrests.jpg.51b09d8cdddb9c708539ddc93e91cc15.jpg

A close crop of the headrests shows that they don't match any of Lagoon's current coaster trains.

smokinggun.jpg.b8b12b956d1a871cd8784221909af585.jpg

This loosely covered car shows there's headrests under the wraps.

So now the questions is, are these the rumored Millennium Flyers with added headrests or are they the also rumored custom wooden coaster trains from ART engineering?

[attachment=0]headrests.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]smokinggun.jpg[/attachment]

So now the questions is, are these the rumored Millennium Flyers with added headrests or are they the also rumored custom wooden coaster trains from ART engineering?

As far as I ever heard, from multiple sources, and this goes back at least a year, if not 2, there was never any deviation from them being Millennium Flyers. Considering Lagoon was their first refurb project in the company's history, I wouldn't be surprised they built Lagoon MFs with Headrests and no seatbelts.

As far as I ever heard, from multiple sources, and this goes back at least a year, if not 2, there was never any deviation from them being Millennium Flyers. Considering Lagoon was their first refurb project in the company's history, I wouldn't be surprised they built Lagoon MFs with Headrests and no seatbelts.

Thanks for the info. I was strongly leaning that way anyway. I partially wanted to stir up some Lagoon discussion around here, we can see how well that worked, lol.

I first heard of new trains last June maybe.. and I was told they'd be "coming from ART engineering, and they're called 'something' flyers" so I have had this confusion since the beginning. But yeah, While I have no doubt ART could make something it seems like it would be hard to outdo GCI in this area. RC's PTC's had headrests while many PTC trains don't, so Lagoon probably wanted these to have headrests too and I don't see why that should be a deal-breaker just because other Millennium Flyers don't have them.

I would think they'd look pretty ridiculous, but I heard from somebody who claims to have seen them more closely that they're a sight to behold.