Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1678: Wildwood Grove announcement
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby appel » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:40 am

Well, the park changed the Lightning Rod closure info, now it says: "NOTICE: Lightning Rod is closed for repair. We apologize for any inconvenience." instead of "closed for maintenance".
Wonder what exactly went wrong...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:14 am

There were monkey fighting snakes on that Monday to Friday train. Sam Jackson took care of the problem, but...er...it needs repairs now.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Dollywoodlover20 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:03 pm

appel wrote:Well, the park changed the Lightning Rod closure info, now it says: "NOTICE: Lightning Rod is closed for repair. We apologize for any inconvenience." instead of "closed for maintenance".
Wonder what exactly went wrong...

Possibly fixing the pothole and the bottom of the drop. Like I said when I went on Father’s Day weekend it jolted me bad haha. I’ve felt it before lightly and ignored it but this time it was where it distracted you from the whole ride experience and you were concerned on what just happened. That’s the only kind of repairs I can think of them doing. Launch was running fine, as were sensors. Kids kept wanting to hang on the gates (which I don’t understand l).

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby dstephe9 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:33 pm

In all honesty, it's never ran well in the heat and this is the first time this season we have had 90+ temps consistently.. it was 97 when I was there earlier this week. I could see the heat playing a major role in the downtime

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:51 pm

I remember it was down one weekend I was there last summer and it was one of the hottest of the year. It reopened a few days later. Temperature could very well be an issue, but considering that ride has closed on days at room temperature, I wouldn't rule anything out.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lake Winnepesaukah & Alabama Splash Adventure

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:45 pm

I'm not going to the park this year so don't have a big stake or interest in following the always hanging overhead Lightning Rod drama, but as I've said before, I just wish the park would be more honest and open with what's happening and when they think it will be up or down. It's not fair to guests who travel and make plans to be so day to day, changing descriptions slightly, etc.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Dollywoodlover20 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:14 pm

Yea lightning Rod for some reason has never handled heat well. Last July I went with family and it got up to like 93. It was closed and didn’t open til oddly 7pm. Not sure if extreme heat messes with the system or what. Isn’t there a sign that says “Lightning Rod may not operate in extreme heat”?
On the 4th, here in the south, it honestly felt like I was going to catch on fire. Temperatures were unbearable. It was 98 here in Kentucky with heat indexes of 110, and it’s always hotter in Tennessee. I checked the app and Mystery Mine was CD, Wild Eagle was CD, LR was CD, as was TT. Only one that didn’t open back up was LR.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:58 pm

They probably don't want it catching on fire like it did that one time :lol:

Side note: We're working on adding one or two parks to our short Thanksgiving road trip. I didn't realize it at first, but Dollywood is a similar distance from my getaway from a few of the other parks I was considering. It looks like they're doing their Christmas event through all of Thanksgiving week (lol) which I've heard is phenomenal in its own right, but I can't find consistent information on what parts of the park will be open and what rides will be open. Main focus would be food, shows and Lightning Rod, and it looks like Friday after Thanksgiving is gonna be our park day. If anyone has experience with the Christmas event, crowds, what rides are open and if they have specific temperature limits, that'd be really good to know in deciding what park to tack on to our Thanksgiving getaway! thanks in advance
1. Millennium Force | 2. New Texas Giant | 3. Outlaw Run | 4. Maverick | 5. Iron Rattler | 6. The Voyage | 7. Goliath (SFGAm) | 8. Time Traveler | 9. Raging Bull | 10. Diamondback

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby dstephe9 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanksgiving here is iffy.. it could very well be in the 60s and if so the weekend of Thanksgiving might have 30,000+ people at the park (it did a few years ago).. on the other side, it might be freezing! Most coasters open when it reaches right above 40 and will remain open until it gets down about 35 - 38. Wild Eagle is the exception and will run until it gets "under speed".. meaning it is normally the last coaster to close.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:19 pm

^ Lightning Rod was actually the last to open at Smoky Mountain Christmas. It looked like it needed the temperature to hit 42 to open when I was there.

Lightning Rod, Wild Eagle, Thunderhead, Mystery Mine, and Firechaser Express all have disclaimers about running in hot temperatures.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lake Winnepesaukah & Alabama Splash Adventure

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!