Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1678: Wildwood Grove announcement
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 14 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:49 am

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:Not sure when LR opened because I was d*cking around at Thunderhead and Mystery Mine for a while.

You made the right decision... Mystery Mine is where it's at!! :lover:

Bigger is not always better.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:02 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote: Not sure when LR opened because I was d*cking around at Thunderhead and Mystery Mine for a while.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks for the tips! I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life the movie (say everything you want), but really enjoyed the show.

I was also lucky enough to get my first rides on Lightning Rod. The coaster is absolutely nuts from start to finish. It's wild. It's smooth. It has an amazing setting. And has as much air as any coaster out there. There's no wasted track on this thing.

I already thought it was the best coaster I had ever ridden, but then it got even better in the dark. I've been on some dark coasters like the Beast and Boulder Dash, but they still have some light. Lightning Rod had none in the first half.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lake Winnepesaukah & Alabama Splash Adventure

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby TEDodd » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:Thanks for the tips! I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life the movie (say everything you want), but really enjoyed the show.

Worth seeing the movie. It will fill in some blanks from the show. They skipped a lot and compressed the story.
Last edited by TEDodd on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:00 pm.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby coneyislandchris » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:55 am

Park seemed ridiculously slammed on Saturday thanks to the sunny weather and mild temps. We ended up spending a lot of time in the country fair section for rides for our littlest. LR was posting up between 60-90 minutes the entire time we were there so we ended up skipping it... and even Tennessee Tornado had a 30+ wait thanks to only one train on the track. On the plus side, the kiddo got his first B&M under his belt with Wild Eagle, and he absolutely loved it!

We are heading back today with temps forecasted to be in the high 50s by late afternoon, and considering how quickly the Parkway cleared out on Sunday night, hoping that translates to low crowds at Dollywood today as well. Heading over to Ober Gatlinburg first though to complete our set of alpine coasters in the area :)
That coaster dad [314] and that coaster kiddo [167]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Apollo's Chariot. Wicked Cyclone. Twisted Timbers. Lightning Rod. Wild Eagle.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:45 pm

I had never seen the park as busy as it was on Saturday. The stampede to exit after the parade was crazy.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby dstephe9 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:19 am

It's very common to be busy this time of year in pretty days. Several times last year the park was parking guest at Splash Country during the Christmas event, especially on mild or sunny weekends

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:32 am

^ They had people parking there on Saturday. After the previous weekend was snowy and Sunday had rain in the mix, I'm not shocked the crowds were heavy on a clear 50 degree day.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:54 am

DoinItForTheFame wrote:You made the right decision... Mystery Mine is where it's at!! :lover:

Preach

Canobie Coaster wrote:I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life the movie (say everything you want), but really enjoyed the show.

I think the movie sucks (yup... I'm the guy), but I liked the show. I liked the random music they chose, they basically picked random things from everywhere since "It's a Wonderful Life" was never intended to be a musical but I thought that was cool. I think they even had a Polar Express song in there.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby jimmiemac02 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:32 am

A very nice, quiet, somewhat warm day at the park yesterday. Schools are still in session until Wednesday in the area, so it was mainly older people and really small kids. The park was nicely decorated. The lights (like last year) were mostly concentrated at the front of the park near showstreet. It's a Wonderful Life was as good as last year, I think the cast was the same. We had dinner at Granny Ogles Ham and Beans, a restaurant that never gets enough attention. The food and service (it is a sit down restaurant) is fantastic. I had the pot roast ($11.99) and my girlfriend had the BBQ chicken sandwich ($10.99). Both entrees came with ham and beans and one other side. As with every meal at Granny Ogles, it came with some really good cornbread.

Construction at River Battle was coming along nicely. It looks like they've already done tons of work and may have that area ready way before the park opens back up in March. The other construction area is HUGE! Seeing it for myself, I still could not wrap my head around how big it was. I would speculate just because of the size of the area that it would be another resort of some kind (but anything is possible at this point). One other construction related topic to mention is that the old applejack sandwich shop in rivertown is completely leveled. Has anyone heard what is going in its place?

Overall, a great visit to end the season and I can't wait for opening day in March!
IMG_4431.JPG
You can just barely see the top of Thunderhead's lift
IMG_4432.JPG
Note Drop Line and Wild Eagle in the background
IMG_4433.JPG
Doing a bit of burning
Applejack.PNG
Applejack's Sandwich Shop

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!