TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Let me chime in here....

1) When did Dollywood open Wilderness Pass?

2) If its an area they will add ride/attraction(s) to make it worth going into that area.

3) I'm not 100 % sure but I'd say a Dark ride is needed and also a new water ride due to the fact Dollywood only has three wet rides (after the removal of RiverBattle) there ALL down at the bottom half of the park.

4) Lastly I heard a theme for a new area was being talked about but I believe there was more than one concept for the themed area. Also I read that Sally Corp. And Herschend was talking too!

Does anyone know what temperature Lightning Rod needs it to be to open? When I saw it closed the past few days, I saw Thunderhead was also closed so I figured it was just weather.

Today the high was 39-40 and everything opened other than Lightning Rod, which is CD. Granted it could be completely unrelated to the weather with that coaster...

I believe it's 40 degrees, I think Firechaser and Mystery Mine are a little higher (around 42 maybe).

If it were a temperature closure and the temperature was borderline they probably wouldn't list it as closed for the day. Has it opened since the snow? Generally the wood coasters are the last to reopen after snow (that probably explains Thunderhead), but I don't know if that would be the issue 3 days later.

It hasn't run since it snowed. The day it snowed it was TC for a few hours but has been CD their past 2 operating days. Thunderhead just reopened for the first time today so maybe Lightning Rod's setting plays in.

Since there's a possibility I could visit the park this weekend when I'm in Atlanta, I fully expect the ride will close yet again on me knowing my luck.

Thankfully it doesn't look like it'll snow again before Saturday.

If I don't see it running by Friday, I think I'm going to just go to Six Flags Over Georgia instead. I know Dollywood is great for Christmas, but it'd be frustrating to drive 4 hours each way to see it closed yet again when I have another perfectly good park right there.

I have been requested to find out by the DW Christmas event regulars if there is hot chocolate available at the park and if so, where? Has anybody had it and if so, what does it taste like? We'll be going over xmas. My SO is extremely focused on this for some reason and won't stop talking about it until I find out specifics. He's really picky about his hot chocolate but LOVES the hot choc from 7-11 if that helps at all in people describing the hopeful HC they have at DW. The HC we had at BGW was very sweet, almost sickeningly so, and SFGAdv's was seriously gross and watered down. Please save me, I am so over this... thanks!

I have been requested to find out by the DW Christmas event regulars if there is hot chocolate available at the park and if so, where? Has anybody had it and if so, what does it taste like? We'll be going over xmas. My SO is extremely focused on this for some reason and won't stop talking about it until I find out specifics. He's really picky about his hot chocolate but LOVES the hot choc from 7-11 if that helps at all in people describing the hopeful HC they have at DW. The HC we had at BGW was very sweet, almost sickeningly so, and SFGAdv's was seriously gross and watered down. Please save me, I am so over this... thanks!

There is hot chocolate available throughout the park, from my own memory I know the Bakery and the Mill both have it. It was really just regular hot coco that I had but I know at certain places (I think the Bakery is one of those) they add in different flavors like peppermint and vanilla. Overall the hot chocolate wasn't bad and was a great sight for my cold, sore, eyes.

I know multiple hot drinks are available at different places in the park. I'm 95% sure the Spotlight Bakery has it up front, and I'm sure there is more other places that has it and other holiday drinks. I haven't had it to comment on it, but I'm sure like most food there it's good quality. If you have mug should be a $2 refill.

Thankfully it doesn't look like it'll snow again before Saturday.

If I don't see it running by Friday, I think I'm going to just go to Six Flags Over Georgia instead. I know Dollywood is great for Christmas, but it'd be frustrating to drive 4 hours each way to see it closed yet again when I have another perfectly good park right there.

There's hope. Lightning Rod reopened with the park today.

Just sneak a couple of nips of Rumple Minz and dump them in your hot chocolate.

I may or may not be speaking from experience.

For Smoky Mountain Christmas, do the shows ever reach capacity/how early should I show up for a show?

I was strongly considering getting a TimeSaver anyway to maximize Lightning Rod rides since it appears that it will open tomorrow with the 50 degree weather.

For Smoky Mountain Christmas, do the shows ever reach capacity/how early should I show up for a show?

I was strongly considering getting a TimeSaver anyway to maximize Lightning Rod rides since it appears that it will open tomorrow with the 50 degree weather.

On busy days, most people are there for the shows. I have been in line 30 minutes early and still was turned away. If the park is busy, you need to be in line at lest 60 minutes early. If you get the timesaver, it would be good to use for the shows also. Typically, I have seen them fill the timesaver seats about 5-10 minutes before the show starts. So even with the timesaver, I would try to get to the show at lest 20 minutes early.

Now if we can only convince Dollywood to add a timesaver line for the cinnamon bread.

On busy days, most people are there for the shows. I have been in line 30 minutes early and still was turned away. If the park is busy, you need to be in line at lest 60 minutes early. If you get the timesaver, it would be good to use for the shows also. Typically, I have seen them fill the timesaver seats about 5-10 minutes before the show starts. So even with the timesaver, I would try to get to the show at lest 20 minutes early.

Now if we can only convince Dollywood to add a timesaver line for the cinnamon bread.

That's because, at times, they will start filling the time saver seats with regular guest right before the show starts if the theater is full.. if they see they are going to have plenty of timesaver seats. They don't always do this but have in the past

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks I went for it! Which shows are the can't miss ones?

Yesterday, I saw Smoky Mountain Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life, and The Night Before Christmas. All three were very good and featured some outstanding vocalists and synchronized dancing.

Out of the three, my favorite was It's a Wonderful Life, which largely follows the classic movie. It's one of my favorite holiday movies, but if you're not a fan then maybe it's not worth seeing the show.

Smoky Mountain Christmas was recommended to me several times. It had some beautiful sets and amazing vocalists, but wasn't really a play in the sense that it had any definitive plot.

The Night Before Christmas was definitely the most child-friendly of the three, but I didn't leave it feeling dumber like I did with the show at WinterFest. Best way I could summarize it would be if they took a Hallmark movie and made it into a musical. There were some laughs and some good songs and dances, but not with the show-stopping quality of the music in the other two.

Just depends on what you like.

Also, yesterday was an awful day for coasters. Temp never got above 35. Only thrill rides that opened were Drop Line, Barnstormer, and Tennessee Tornado briefly. Too cold for anything else to open. Even the train was almost too cold to enjoy. Great day to do nothing but see shows, wander around in between, take in the sights, and eat food (indoors).

Weather already looks better today so I'm going to try for a few hours before heading back to Ohio.

Out of every show at Dollywood's Christmas offerings, my favorite was actually Appalachian Christmas, which is just some very talented musicians playing and joking around at the Backstage Theater. And also go see My People if you never have.

^The Post above me described the three Major Christmas shows perfectly. I'd personally say It's a Wonderful Life was so bad it was good so I'd recommend that one.

It’s open!!! posted as an hour wait. I’m gonna do it at least once, but idk if I want to wait another 1 hour. Coasters gradually started testing and opening as it got warmer. Not sure when LR opened because I was d*cking around at Thunderhead and Mystery Mine for a while. I don’t think I’ve ever seen all the effects on Mystery Mine, but they were working and it was great!

Now, to kill 45+ more minutes...