TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

They at least tried to run LR today.

It ran for about an hour, never reopened.

R.I.P.

Is it sad that I am starting to slowly lose hope that LR will be open for our trip at the end of July??

I did happen to walk by LR and saw one of the trains sitting on the transfer track. It does appear that some work is being done on the coaster today. A ride op was standing outside the station and was rudely yelling at guests that "the ride is closed all day". Even folks who walked by trying to ask a question were cut off with that statement before they had time to finish. I'm sure that the ops are frustrated as much as we are about the coaster being closed. Hopefully they can figure out what the issues are and get the coaster up and running by at least this upcoming week.

Kinda goes to show they're just as frustrated with it as anyone else is. it is quite unfortunate for both them and anyone going out of their way specifically to get to ride the coaster. Hopefully for anyone's first time at the park they don't get too caught up on LR being opened or closed, because there is still an entire theme park to enjoy!

Continuing the Thunderhead love train, I might be in a minority but having tried both, I kinda like Thunderhead's layout more than Mystic Timbers. That coaster is just pure fun, and has some very comfy seats on it! Last I was at the park, I managed more laps on it than any other coaster in the park. It wasn't horribly rough, in my opinion.

True rollback or just a failure to launch? I have honestly only seen one instance of a true rollback.. most of the time it seems the train just stops on the lift.. A video from last year had a much better look at what was happening.. You could clearly see the launch engage on the flat portion but as soon as the train hit the lift, a fin popped up and stopped it meaning the train only went a few feet up the lift and rolled back.. I wouldn't consider that a true rollback.. like a safety feature was stopping it from launching

I see a rollback as making it up the lift a good ways and not having power to crest the top. I have only heard of that happening once or twice with LR

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I saw online that today's first full train ended up having a rollback. Judging by the app, the coaster was probably down for about 30 minutes. Apparently right after it reopened, the same thing happened, forcing over an hour of more downtime. I believe it was open for only a few minutes after that but quickly went down yet again. It wasn't until around late afternoon that it was changed to "closed for the day". It seems that the majority of these rollbacks are occuring when the train is full of riders.

Anyways, I thought Thunderhead ran smoother compared to my previous visit back in March. Now I have yet to ride Mystic Timbers (I was supposed to this month, but change of plans), and I'm really curious to see how it compares to Thunderhead as Thunderhead is the only GCI I've ever ridden. Probably won't be able to ride Mystic until next year.

But was it a full rollback or failure to launch? See my description above lol

As far as the first rollback today, I believe it stopped 1/3 up the hill (according to the instagram video). Not sure about the others, but I assume they were probably similar.

I'm planning a trip next week to HoliWood Nights, Kentucky Kingdom, Beech Bend, and Carowinds. I was thinking of stopping by Dollywood on Wednesday, June 7 since it's on my way home from Carowinds. There's no way even to guess whether Lightning Rod will be open on any specific day, is there?

Also, could anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from I-40 to Dollywood? Thanks.

Short answer is yes.. I have been multiple times his year and only seen it working once.. I go now assuming it will be closed

Although it's a great park without LR, a lot of folks on here don't seem to understand people who are upset after traveling and it's closed haha. I know lots of folks travel for LR

Exactly, I wouldn't plan any trips just for LR personally.. Planning trips to visit DW because it is a great park is fine but not just for LR

That's nice and all, but it's unfair to tell coaster enthusiasts to not plan trips to ride the best coaster in the country. I have the privilege of having ridden it and I completely understand everyone's disappointment if they missed out during their trip, it fucking sucks. My day at Dollywood with Lightning Rod running was IMMENSELY better than my day last June with it closed (despite coasterbill/others telling people to eat cinnamon bread at get over it). So many users here (incl. me) go to parks for coasters - Everything else is extra. Lightning Rod DOES make the park so much better for those people.

I wish the team at Dollywood and the people with booked trips best of luck with the upcoming summer season, but I won't surprised to see a lot of justified disappointment on the forum and other places online.

This will be my first time going to DW. Luckily I'm not that far I can plan another trip.

Yeah, if I lived that close I'd buy a Season Pass for sure (then again... I love 12 hours away and have a Season Pass so maybe I'm not one to comment). It pays for itself in less than 2 visits and then you can go back for Christmas (which I HIGHLY recommend).

Maybe you'll ride it this trip but if not you'll ride it eventually.

My day at Dollywood with Lightning Rod running was IMMENSELY better than my day last June with it closed (despite coasterbill/others telling people to eat cinnamon bread at get over it).

Of course, but I stand behind that comment because it's always directed at people who come to the forums and act as if their entire day at Dollywood is a waste because Lightning Rod is closed. I completely understand being disappointed but you're still at a great theme park with great rides. I don't mind if people go to the park and have a great day but are a little disappointed that it's closed, I direct those comments at people like this and I think that's completely justified.

I live only 3 hours away and have season passes. Have been 4 different times this year and have yet to get a chance to ride once. My most anticipated addition they've ever had has left me in disappointment every time I've gone lol so from now on going in with the mindset of not getting to ride is the way to go. Love Dollywood, it's my absolute favorite park.. but I'm not going to hype myself up to ride something that's closed more than it is operational, and while it's a good ride it's hard to classify it as the best ride ever or the best ride of the park when it's barely open. I don't know, I know they have some major issues with it at the moment. I'm sure I'll change my mind about it once (or if) it's ever consistently operating. There's so much more to do and see at Dwood other than LR

This will be my first time going to DW. Luckily I'm not that far I can plan another trip.

Yeah, if I lived that close I'd buy a Season Pass for sure (then again... I love 12 hours away and have a Season Pass so maybe I'm not one to comment). It pays for itself in less than 2 visits and then you can go back for Christmas (which I HIGHLY recommend).

Maybe you'll ride it this trip but if not you'll ride it eventually.

My day at Dollywood with Lightning Rod running was IMMENSELY better than my day last June with it closed (despite coasterbill/others telling people to eat cinnamon bread at get over it).

Of course, but I stand behind that comment because it's always directed at people who come to the forums and act as if their entire day at Dollywood is a waste because Lightning Rod is closed. I completely understand being disappointed but you're still at a great theme park with great rides. I don't mind if people go to the park and have a great day but are a little disappointed that it's closed, I direct those comments at people like this and I think that's completely justified.

+1

^ I missed Mystic Manor opening at HKDL by a few months.

But the whole rest of the park experience was amazing!

It's always something you hope will be open, and running, on a long planned trip.

Fate.