Strongest/Most forcefull Launch

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby viking86 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:47 pm

ACEfanatic02 wrote:Haven't ridden any launch coasters, but I feel this point needs to be made:

You cannot black out on a coaster. To black out, for most people, takes about 8 g's. That is, 8 vertical g's. To black out from acceleration would take something like 10+ g's which, to put it simply, would kill you.

Not to mention, it'd probably tear the track apart.

-ACE

You dont need extreme G-forces to black out as long as its sustained G's. And 10 G's would not kill you. People are often exposed to far bigger G-forces when they are in a car crash, just to mention an example.

Like I have said earlier, in theory a launch shouldnt make you black-out because the blood doesnt flow away from your head like it does when you experience positive G-forces.

Everybody likes an S&S!

Postby Thrillrider15 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:53 pm

I have only been on two launch coasters before. The Rock'n Roller Coaster at MGM Studios, and Steel Venom at Valleyfair! But I have to say the Rock'n Roller Coaster is more intense.

I'm not sure why, but I have a little fear of roller coasters with launches. :?r

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby hjime223 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:25 pm

Elissa definitely has it right with Dodonpa. That coaster has the most extreme launch I have ever felt. Only launch ever to literally take my breath away.

I would also agree with Chiller being most forceful feeling LIM launch.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:30 pm

For me, I would have to say Batman & Robin-the Chiller first and Volcano second.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby ACEfanatic02 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:42 pm

viking86 wrote:
ACEfanatic02 wrote:Haven't ridden any launch coasters, but I feel this point needs to be made:

You cannot black out on a coaster. To black out, for most people, takes about 8 g's. That is, 8 vertical g's. To black out from acceleration would take something like 10+ g's which, to put it simply, would kill you.

Not to mention, it'd probably tear the track apart.

-ACE

You dont need extreme G-forces to black out as long as its sustained G's. And 10 G's would not kill you. People are often exposed to far bigger G-forces when they are in a car crash, just to mention an example.

Like I have said earlier, in theory a launch shouldnt make you black-out because the blood doesnt flow away from your head like it does when you experience positive G-forces.

Ok, good points. However, a car crash gives you... ~20 g's for about 10 milliseconds. 10 g's sustained WILL kill you. In fact, 8 g's sustained long enough will kill you.

Launches are sustained g's. Still, a launch at 3 g's for about 5 seconds is not going to black you out.

And, true, vertical g's are more likely to black you out. It's still possible with heavy acceleration, though.

-ACE

PS.: Appologies for going (mostly) off-topic.
Vekoma - Manufacturing pain since 1978

-ACEfanatic02-

Banned

Postby maliboomer » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:08 pm

Totally California Screamin'. That launch is xtreme!11!

:lmao:

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:37 pm

I find it interesting out of all the limed launch coasters my dear Poltergeist has the strongest accel g's. I love it everytime I ride it. The sensation is great.

Other than LIMS, it is Xcelerator easily.

I taste better with A1

Postby TheStig » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:50 pm

I must say that it's a tie between Mr. Freeze and Speed the ride for me. I dont know why, but LIM's really dont give the punch that other launch systems, its more like a sudden jolt of acceleration, then it just becomes gradual, where as Hydraulic launched build up over the course of the launch, and from what Ive heard, air launches...well just kind of suck!

Other than that, TTD has the biggest acceleration force of any coaster I've been on...

Colin C

Surf's Up

Postby HCOSurfer90 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:00 pm

10g's cannot kill you. They've done test before. In fact I remember in this one Roller Coaster book my mom got me there was a guy testing out different g-forces. They had 1g, 2gs, 5gs, and 10gs. You think they would do that test if it wasn't safe? Plus, what do astronauts have to go through, g-forces to prepare them for launch. Therefore it cannot kill you.

I taste better with A1

Postby TheStig » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:11 pm

^Umm...Just to let you know, an austornaut in a space shuttle experiences a sustained G-Force of 3.1 G's. They do the testing because re-entry can pull about 7 G's in some cases.

And to clear up the whole blacking out thing, you simply cannont black out from acceleration forces alone, although it will cause som major damage to your body and death if its an excessive amount. Blacking out is cause by blood rushing to your feet from positive G-s, musch the same as redding out is caused by blood rushing to your head. A man who's name skips my mind right now once rode a rocket sled which put an acceleration force of 64 G's on his body, resluting in massive bodily damage and causing him to go blind for about 2 months. So to sum it all up, acceleration forces cant make you black out but they CAN kill you if they are extremely high, and postitive and negative forces are the ones that cause you to black/red out. Hopefully that clears som stuff up...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!