TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

Parks that operate year-round, especially the SeaWorld/Busch parks have made it standard practice to have spare trains on hand, even if the train is used more for the swapping of parts when individual pieces require repair. Just because the coaster doesn’t have a transfer track it doesn’t mean that the park hasn’t invested in spares.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an annual pass, haven't been to SWSD in many years even though it's my home park being SD native I spend most of my time at six flags.

Rode Manta for the first time on St. Pattys and it was pretty fun. Even my kids who don't like most coasters really enjoyed it.

Rode Manta 3 times and Journey to Atlantis twice

So I was wondering is some stuff closed due to the Eel construction? I didn't see the subamarine Quest ride or the Sea Dragon Drop ride or the tentacle twirl swing when I was there. Did I just miss those rides because their website doesn't say they are closed.

EDIT:

Ok went on my lunch break and saw that entire section of the park I missed if you make an immediate right turn and end up on the other side of electric eel, guess I missed it because of the construction walls.

For Passholders there is supposed to be an ipad(s) in the park. You have to register with it like 4 times and you get a front of line pass for the Eel when it opens. Anyone know where this mysterious ipad is located in the park?

Found it ​

Validate your visit at Pass Member iPad Hotspots, located in Discoveries Toy Store and Arcade & Midway Games,

And whats the deal with total lack of photo or biometric screening on passes? I seen people selling used fun cards and stuff but was always afraid to buy them. Got a legit pass now and I don't see any reason why any person would be able to use my pass or the funcards I got my kids. Seems like something they should be on top of.

• 2 weeks later...

https://timesofsandiego.com/business/2018/03/29/seaworlds-electric-eel-roller-coaster-set-to-open-may-12/

SeaWorld San Diego reported Thursday that testing of its new “Electric Eel” roller coaster is going well and the attraction will open to the public May 12.

The ride will rocket guests skyward at 60 mph for nearly 150 feet and then into an inverted “heartline” roll and finally a twisting loop that will offer an upside-down-view of Mission Bay.

“Electric Eel will bring a whole new level of excitement to SeaWorld,” said Marilyn Hannes, the park’s president. “This new, first-of-its-kind coaster at SeaWorld will give riders the rare opportunity to feel what it’s like to move like an eel, twisting and flipping along nearly 900 feet of undulating track.”

Complementing the coaster are a live eel habitat featuring a collection of California moray eels, and an interactive educational experience called Mission: Deep Discovery, which will allow a team of one to four players to embark on a virtual deep sea adventure.

“We want our guests from around the world to not only have a great time, but be inspired to care about the ocean and the animals that live there,” she said.

SeaWorld is offering those who purchase an annual pass between now and May 12 the opportunity to be first to ride the Electric Eel.

Electric Eel set to open May 12th

DZfu1ZRVwAAjC5V.jpg.733a9b3ab239ee1df220431a363d7320.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 2 weeks later...
It was reported that SWSD had 500,000 lesss guests than previous year. This is very unfortunate news as this is a great park and doesn’t deserve this backlash!!!

Not surprising. No big addition, competitive tourism market (so cal), and the blackfish backlash. New coaster should help right the ship a bit.

I did just go yesterday to their Seven Seas Food Festival, and was actually fairly impressed with the quality of presentation. The booths and detail, as well as the passport book listings are all on par with Epcot's Food & Wine--maybe even better, as the lines are shorter. I also liked that they had "food ambassadors" available throughout the event to answer any questions and keep eating areas tidy. And the ability to buy tasting cards in increments of 5, 10, or 15 items is another big plus.

That said, a few of the food items didn't impress us too much. But many were very tasty indeed. I'd go again. Park also seemed relatively busy. Submarine Quest remains SBNO... probably a wise choice, though I sort of wanted to experience the awfulness of that first hand.

On a side note, Manta continues to do 3 train operation, which is great. I feel it's one of the most underrated rides in SoCal. And it's always fun to get to ride a skyway again. Props to the crew there, they really had the line moving very quickly!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to check out the seven seas food festival with my girlfriend who got sick on saturday (absolutely not food related, she has a chronic condition) and didn't eat much and had to go home early. This left me with basically two 15 item punch cards and wine tasting all for myself which I wen back and finished off on Sunday since she only had a one day pass and still wasn't feeling well. I was very impressed, and the other guests I chatted with also were very impressed by the food festival. Things I ended up getting twice, the candied bacon cheesecake, the grilled lamb slider, the warm brie and duck confit, the potato ravioli, and the Jamaican Spare rib. Also really liked the lamb chop lollypop and cave-aged humboldt fog cheese.

On Saturday around 11 AM the new metal detectors caused a huge security line that took around 30 minutes to get through with lots of walking. Sunday I showed up a bit later than that but there was no line.

Electric Eel was doing test launches with employee volunteers. Looks fun, they sounded like they were having a blast.

I learned that I guess when its busier they only let the quick queue leave things in the cubby on Manta. I had a small bag with 2 cups in it and didn't get stopped at the entrance but at the ride they made me use a locker, but let me come back up the quick queue line so I didn't have to wait again.

SeaWorld San Diego just pushed up their opening of Electric Eel a few days. May 10th is the new opening day!

https://twitter.com/ClydeSeaWorldSD/status/986316117609205760

Friends, I have some EELectrifying news! Electric Eel, our thrilling new coaster, is now scheduled to open to the public even earlier than we expected. The big day is May 10! I’m all charged up!

#EELectrified #SeaWorldSanDiego

DaT5xezXkAAg_fw.jpg.c07a9e46b33fedafc47d93e346758044.jpg

DbAZCogUwAAamm6.thumb.jpg.99da8cc88782a0558f6583c684b0373a.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

I just saw that on the local papers website. I might try and right it opening Thursday!

In the papers story on this though they wrote

"The coaster represents the second phase of SeaWorld's new Ocean Explorer attraction, which has as its centerpiece a three-minute submarine ride that gives riders the sense of being deep-sea explorers."

Aren't they referencing the Submarine quest ride and isn't that SBNO? I don't even see it listed online as an attraction, never seen it open, and it's never listed as a closed attraction at the parking entrance.

^I was in the park about 10 days ago, and it was SBNO then. To my knowledge, that's the current status of the ride, though I don't think anything "official" about it has come from the park directly.

This isn't anything new for SeaWorld Parks, as of late anyway. Kraken Unleashed is still advertised all over Orlando (billboards, flyers, etc.) and the VR was removed as of January 20th (tho could return-hopefully not). I've seen them in Tampa as well when I was there 3 weeks ago. Talk about false advertising. While it does state on the website that it is currently running without the VR experience, you have to go to the ride's page to actual read that, which 9 out of 10 likely don't do or notice.

The metal detectors are gone now.

Is it normal for them to come and go?

Electric Eel Coaster opened at noon 5-10-18

I got in line about 1220 and waited 30 minutes. The line has some nice benches to sit on but it needs more shade....looked like the quick queue had more shade umbrellas for some reason.

First time on this type of ride. Pretty unique and different. Don't really like the collars. From watching it I was still a bit disoriented when on the ride. Some good thrills, usually going upside down isn't very thrilling to me but I like the way this one goes slow through the inversion and you see (I was in the back) the rest of the train going through it first and then there is a pretty nice drop. Thumbs up, want to ride it again but the line does seem pretty slow moving.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks great!! How is the overall look/theming of the ride?

Pretty nice! They have a decent amount of rockwork and a nice queue. It'll look even better when the plants and trees grow in, like Manta. The station interior is a little bare, but passable.

IMG_2830.jpeg.0e0ebab3a40f5cebde8d5ae57a6f421e.jpeg

IMG_2817.thumb.JPG.f85d46d442a6e031ee65a4a0ee662199.JPG

I'm seeing they're having a deal where annual passholders can get in early ride time for Electric Eel on May 18-20 and June 16-24. I don't have an annual pass, but a Fun Card. Does that count? I've asked Sea World directly, but no word back from them yet.