TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walibi Belgium Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Or these pictures are a few days old (what I doubt seeing pictures of an incomplete lifthill just a few days ago) or there is no way they can have this up and running in a month from now. Seems like there is a solid week of track constuction left. Okay they might be further in the unseen department of construction but I would be shocked to see this open on March 31st.

Or these pictures are a few days old (what I doubt seeing pictures of an incomplete lifthill just a few days ago) or there is no way they can have this up and running in a month from now. Seems like there is a solid week of track constuction left. Okay they might be further in the unseen department of construction but I would be shocked to see this open on March 31st.

No opening date has been announced yet, but the park said that it will open during the Easter holidays. So maybe not March 31st, but certainly the week after.

After seeing Walibi Belgium's 2018 additions I really want to go to visit European theme parks. I can't think of a park in America that has a roller coaster twisting around and over a playground, or even with an odd ride like Pulsar. Europe has so much cool ideas and concepts in their parks and I hope to go there someday.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

first soft opening of tiki-waka today, first onride videos are starting pop up.

The official Walibi youtube uploaded a 360 version:

but i personally hate these kind of videos since they are low quality and the image warps and has artifacts at the edges and such, that in combination with the very wide angle creates a false sense of speed etc. So this POV video might be a better representation even if it's probably from the same original video but just cropped out...

Alot of people on news websites etc are commenting about how many brakes there are and how slow the overall ride is. Of course they don't know that these brakes are there for having more blocksections and more capacity wich is a good thing i think, but i don't like how they actually do brake quite hard, especially the last 2, these airtime hills at the end look fun but the speed is just a touch too little in my opinion.

It's not a huge highlight of the park but overall i still think it's a good investment, as the ride model suggest, it's a "fun"-coaster, it's not extreme in any way but for kids it's still gonna be a good experience i think. Theming is very basic but for Belgian attraction park standards it's not a huge letdown either, i love the theming of the cars for example.

Alot of people on news websites etc are commenting about how many brakes there are and how slow the overall ride is. Of course they don't know that these brakes are there for having more blocksections and more capacity wich is a good thing i think, but i don't like how they actually do brake quite hard, especially the last 2, these airtime hills at the end look fun but the speed is just a touch too little in my opinion.

For some odd reason the brakes are harder when the cars are (nearly) empty. The heavier the car, the lesser it brakes on the blockbrakes. Saw this happening last week. Trains with sandbags in them just flew trough the brakes, the empty ones crawled out of them.

In this brand new POV, it's very noticable:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Looks like a decent Family Coaster, can't wait to re-visit the park this year!

It's a shame about the soft opening, I heard it wasn't untill the afternoon people would be able to ride. I actually wanted to go next week and try it out but I'm not sure now. Other then that looks to be a solid family ride. Good to see the two big Walibi parks actually bringing some good coasters after a 9 year break.

For some odd reason the brakes are harder when the cars are (nearly) empty. The heavier the car, the lesser it brakes on the blockbrakes. Saw this happening last week. Trains with sandbags in them just flew trough the brakes, the empty ones crawled out of them.

That's very strange indeed, it would make sense the opposite way regarding weight, without braking it actually looks much better. I don't get why they didn't do that for their official POV, maybe to make it look like it lasts longer?

A heavier car has more mass and therefore at the same velocity has more momentum.

Exactly. The heavier train has more energy (more mass) than the lighter train. The brakes slow the train down, so that means that the brakes are taking away the energy (speed) from the train. Now, this is the same amount of energy for both the heavy and the light train. Because the heavy train has more energy (mass), it takes longer to slow down the heavy train.

if the brakes are magnetic the lighter the trains the faster the train will slow down... I first noticed this when I worked Maverick as when the train (empty) would enter the tunnel during our testing every morning the train would come to a crawl in the permanent fixed magnetic fins and we had to wait to send the next train up the lift or the train on the lift would rollback if the train in the tunnel hadn't moved into the launch section of the tunnel. but as soon as we start loading the trains with guest the trains would coast into the launch section with more speed than with the train being empty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So Yesterday the park officially opened Tiki Waka. I didn't know that when I was in the park yesterday that that would happen but. The area was cut of from regular guest (like me) till 1 P.M. so I got my ride on it. But when I was in the Queue I saw a woman wearing a card that said "Assistant Manger" Not knowing the ride had just been officially opened I found that weird. So the reason I shared this is because what happened in front of this woman's face, two line jumpers and she didn't seem to notice. I was shocked she didn't look up to the duo as one was trying to convince the other that it was a bad idea and where demanding attention like that. I was shocked that happened and wondering why there was someone wearing a Assistant Manger card riding Tiki Waka on a Saturday. So I didn't complain or say anything I was just completely elsewhere whit my head. (Source it opened yesterday). P.S. In hindesight I should have figured it out, there where several people in suits that had access to the area and the party vibe after 1 P.M. in the area should have gave it away.

I also like to take my time and give a review on Tiki Waka. The ride was kind of meh to me. On-rides and off-rides make the thing look way faster then it's ought to be. I was expecting G Sengte Sau level of excitement but it wasn't even close. I still better ride experience then Loup Garou, Vampire and Cobra but those aren't hard to beat in my opinion. Besides can somebody tell me how every time I'm in Walibi Belgium there is virtually no line for all coasters except Loup Garou? Like all other coaster I could literally walk on but there was the 40 minute queue for Loup Garou, I'm of the opinion that that's the worst ride the park has.

I have also heard nothing in advance about the official opening this Saturday, they have not communicated about it. So I was surprised when I saw some articles on social media. The ride has been in pre-opening since April, I don't really know why it took them so long to officially open it.

I really enjoyed Tiki-Waka when I rode it in May (here's my trip report). It is a very fun, enjoyable coaster with lots of airtime. Actually, it is my favorite ride at the park! Although when I rode it, the brakes barely slowed the train down, so I don't know if that was also the case on your ride? Because I heard that it might run quite a bit slower now..

I can't say I felt the train got bracked on those sections, but It felt like the train lost more momentum thanks to them. I didn't feel airtime like anywhere in the ride even the last two hills (where I did expect it.) where just hills. Also I expected that last helix to pull some forces but the only turns that pulled some where the flat turns connected at the first MCBR. So I guess they thightend the brackes. Calamity mine had more exitment if you ask me.

From what you're saying, it certainly sounds like the brakes hit harder now then it did when I rode it. If that is the case, that is a real shame, because the ride was very fun and full of airtime. But if there is hardly any airtime now, then yeah, I could see why Tiki-Waka isn't all that excited anymore...