Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 177 - Animal Kingdom's 20th Anniversary Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Walt Disney World Disney's Animal Kingdom Discussion Thr

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:55 am

KarlaKoaster wrote: and honestly the only bit I don't like about AK is Dinoland which I will actually go so far as to say that I think it is one of the worst lands at any Disney park I can think of.

I don't really have a problem with Dinoland as a whole, it is what it is but my kids love it so there's that. My biggest issue with the land is Primeval Whirl has a 48" height requirement, taller than Everest and anything else at Disney besides Rock n Roller Coaster, for what should be a family mouse coaster. If they tore that out tomorrow and replaced it with a family coaster that had a 38 or 40" height requirement it would be a massive improvement IMO.

I like Dinosour, just wish the ride building wasn't so dark that you can barley see anything. If they turned up the lights like 10% percent so you could actually see the dinos and the sets it would be so much more memorable.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Cj1990 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:08 pm

Hey guys, heading down to Orlando on Friday. I think my only goal is to get on Flight of Passage this whole trip. Is the verdict in on which is more ideal; arrive early and head straight to the attraction or go a few minutes before park closing? I am there for 5 days so I am fine to even try both. I just want to see what the opinions were here on the forums.

Thanks!

Postby coasterbill » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:19 pm

Cj1990 wrote:Hey guys, heading down to Orlando on Friday. I think my only goal is to get on Flight of Passage this whole trip. Is the verdict in on which is more ideal; arrive early and head straight to the attraction or go a few minutes before park closing? I am there for 5 days so I am fine to even try both. I just want to see what the opinions were here on the forums.

Thanks!

I'm no expert as I've only been on the ride once but we rode with Robb on Sunday night, got in line about 5 minutes before closing and waited less than 30 minutes. I actually had to chug my beer when I realized we were already at the boarding area.

If you're a morning person and you want to get up at the A$$ crack of dawn, then I'm sure that works great too. It probably comes down to personal preference about whether you'd rather sleep in or get up and go first thing in the morning.

Hilltopper39 wrote:
KarlaKoaster wrote: and honestly the only bit I don't like about AK is Dinoland which I will actually go so far as to say that I think it is one of the worst lands at any Disney park I can think of.

I don't really have a problem with Dinoland as a whole, it is what it is but my kids love it so there's that. My biggest issue with the land is Primeval Whirl has a 48" height requirement, taller than Everest and anything else at Disney besides Rock n Roller Coaster, for what should be a family mouse coaster. If they tore that out tomorrow and replaced it with a family coaster that had a 38 or 40" height requirement it would be a massive improvement IMO.

I don't hate Dinoland but I don't love it either. I do enjoy the subtle beauty this park finds in objective sh*tiness. They're experts at making things look like sh*t on purpose, but somehow making them look awesome in the process. Honestly that's basically the theme of the entire park aside from Pandora and the Tree of Life area.
Last edited by coasterbill on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 pm.

Postby Cj1990 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:31 pm

^ Thanks so much. I think I will do the evening and just go in before closing. It seems to be Robb's preference, too, and as they go a lot, I trust the opinions of Robb, Elissa, and of course you. Plus... I like having beer while I wait in line for rides lol. You can't really get beer in the morning lol.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:40 pm

Cj1990 wrote:^ Thanks so much. I think I will do the evening and just go in before closing. It seems to be Robb's preference, too, and as they go a lot, I trust the opinions of Robb, Elissa, and of course you. Plus... I like having beer while I wait in line for rides lol. You can't really get beer in the morning lol.

Yep, this is my preference. The only caveats to doing the night time wait in line are:

- Don't do it on an EMH night. It doesn't work because there are EMH people waiting to ride and often times they will start by putting them in the FastPass queue while the standby line of day guests clears out.

- Just remember that if this is your only day at DAK and you wait until the very end of the night and the ride breaks (which doesn't actually happen very often) then that was your only chance to ride.

I've actually never heard of someone not getting on the ride due to it breaking down, but I just wanted to throw that out there. Usually my average wait at the end of the night (and I mean END of the night getting in line at like :58 whatever hour the park is closing) is about 50 minutes.

If you get in the line at :30, you're just going to stand there for 30 minutes until the park closes as they are trying to get in as many FP+ people as they can to clear that line. So you might as well go grab a beer and get in line right at :58!
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:41 pm.

Postby Cj1990 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:54 pm

robbalvey wrote:
Cj1990 wrote:^ Thanks so much. I think I will do the evening and just go in before closing. It seems to be Robb's preference, too, and as they go a lot, I trust the opinions of Robb, Elissa, and of course you. Plus... I like having beer while I wait in line for rides lol. You can't really get beer in the morning lol.

Yep, this is my preference. The only caveats to doing the night time wait in line are:

- Don't do it on an EMH night. It doesn't work because there are EMH people waiting to ride and often times they will start by putting them in the FastPass queue while the standby line of day guests clears out.

- Just remember that if this is your only day at DAK and you wait until the very end of the night and the ride breaks (which doesn't actually happen very often) then that was your only chance to ride.

I've actually never heard of someone not getting on the ride due to it breaking down, but I just wanted to throw that out there. Usually my average wait at the end of the night (and I mean END of the night getting in line at like :58 whatever hour the park is closing) is about 50 minutes.

If you get in the line at :30, you're just going to stand there for 30 minutes until the park closes as they are trying to get in as many FP+ people as they can to clear that line. So you might as well go grab a beer and get in line right at :58!

We will honestly try to get on a couple different occasions. I would like to ride it more than once during the trip I think. Thanks Robb, I will wait until the last couple minutes like you suggested! If you guys are around at the parks this week, I'll say hi if we bump into you!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:46 pm

robbalvey wrote:

I'll be at Disney a week from Saturday and will probably end up doing this. On the off chance the ride breaks down on Saturday night, I'll bite the bullet and do the early morning strategy the next day.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Twisted Timbers
Most Recent Trip Reports- Quassy and Lake Compounce

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:48 pm

Cj1990 wrote:If you guys are around at the parks this week, I'll say hi if we bump into you!

Keep an eye on our socials - especially Twitter and Snapchat. We almost always will post when we are at a park to one of those.

Postby Cj1990 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:46 am

I’m happy to say we got to do both Pandora rides and flight of passage twice. Once at rope drop and once we scored fast passes for it! It’s a really impressive ride! We are still here at the parks for another couple days, but when I arrive hole I may include a small trip report and share some photos from this awesome trip!

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby TBpony414 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:48 pm

CJ1990 I'd love to read a TR from your visit to WDW, especially Animal Kingdom! Hope you have a great rest of the trip!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!